US Politics: Par, Don, for the Course

Fragile Bird

8 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Kinda, yes. I mean, they’re still all in on Trump, but they’re turning on McConnell (he of the Chicom wife) and senate republicans.

Blaming "Senate Republicans," or, say, "GOP leadership," is a great way to diffuse responsibility attribution in order to justify not changing one's voting patterns.  It's basically the updated/polarization's version of Fenno's paradox.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Blaming "Senate Republicans," or, say, "GOP leadership," is a great way to diffuse responsibility attribution in order to justify not changing one's voting patterns.  It's basically the updated/polarization's version of Fenno's paradox.

Ah see, but the talk is more than just about how an amorphous group of elites has screwed them; it’s about how to punish them for their betrayal. And there is currently an immediate way for senate republicans, and McConnell especially, to be punished. Though I have no idea how many of the people doing the talking are residents of Georgia.

26 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

the talk is more than just about how an amorphous group of elites has screwed them; it’s about how to punish them for their betrayal. And there is currently an immediate way for senate republicans, and McConnell especially, to be punished.

Generally the best you can hope for these days is for them not to vote, or vote third party (same thing..and not an option in a runoff).

32 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

You know what’s hilarious? Reading comments in stories that say “there were never any bombings during Trump’s presidency, now Biden is president look what happens”.

I kid you not.

Huh?

I thought everything was President Hillary Clinton’s fault?

39 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

You know what’s hilarious? Reading comments in stories that say “there were never any bombings during Trump’s presidency, now Biden is president look what happens”.

I kid you not.

Didn't you know it has been Biden's America since January?

I predicting Democrats don’t get ahold of the Georgia seats. A lot of motivation to vote this year from Biden’s camp came exclusively to vote against Trump.

I can see Trump’s base turning out for revenge against the Democrats more easily than I can see Democrats turning out to vote against Republicans.
I know this can just be way off—I was way off at Trump getting elected and even the margins he’d lose by. 

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

I kid you not.

Thanks Obama!

1 hour ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I predicting Democrats don’t get ahold of the Georgia seats. A lot of motivation to vote this year from Biden’s camp came exclusively to vote against Trump.

I can see Trump’s base turning out for revenge against the Democrats more easily than I can see Democrats turning out to vote against Republicans.
I know this can just be way off—I was way off at Trump getting elected and even the margins he’d lose by. 

The numbers of voters turning out have been very, very strong, neck and neck with the election numbers up until the start of the holiday. We shall see!

On 12/24/2020 at 7:38 AM, Tywin et al. said:

I've never understood why campaigns do this. For example, in 2012 I was loaned out to Obama's campaign for the last six or eight weeks of the election cycle. They made us contact the same people multiple times per week, even when people were threatening not to support him if we didn't leave them the fuck alone. When I brought this up to more senior people they said to ignore the complaints and keep reaching out to them. It got to the point where I just started lying to them. It was analytics run amok. 

Typical of many situations. I know someone doing casual survey work for a marketing company asked to collect income data - its the one aspect of privacy people cling to, so he would take the few results he got and make some sort of plausible distribution.

51 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

The numbers of voters turning out have been very, very strong, neck and neck with the election numbers up until the start of the holiday. We shall see!

Our 'pod' partner has been phone banking to Georgia voters for weeks.  So have my boomer white lady middle class, suburban and professional friends -- and beyond that they've been sending money, money, money and writing in hand letters letters letters to the voters.

Don't think it's been mentioned here, but the fundraising has been ridiculous for the Georgia races, and just as an indicator of enthusiasm is good news for the Dems:

Ossoff became the best-funded Senate candidate in history, hauling in $106.8 million in two months. The Democrat spent $93.5 million from Oct. 15 through Dec. 16, and ended that period with $17.5 million in the bank for the closing weeks of the runoff.

Perdue, his opponent, raised $68 million over the same time period. The Republican spent nearly $58 million and had $16 million in the bank.

Warnock outraised Loeffler by a significant margin as well. The Democrats’ campaign raised $103.4 million and spent $86.1 million. He had $22.8 million in cash in the bank going into the final weeks of the campaign before the twin Jan. 5 elections.

Loeffler raised $64 million, and her fundraising skyrocketed even though she hardly contributed any of her own funds during this period. Loeffler loaned her campaign $23 million for the general election, but only donated $333,200 in the past two months. She spent $48.6 million and ended the period with $21.3 million cash in the bank.

1 hour ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Please ask them to stop the letters!!! I get at least three postcards every single day.

This is so annoying. And you know who loves sending letters and postcards to unsuspecting citizens? Mitch McConnell. Don’t you wish you could do something about McConnell and his Senate allies always sending unwanted mail to hard working Americans? Consider voting for John Ossoff and Raphael Warnock for Senate on January 5th. Ossoff and Warnock; good for Georgia, good for America, good for your mailbox.

5 hours ago, DMC said:

Don't think it's been mentioned here, but the fundraising has been ridiculous for the Georgia races, and just as an indicator of enthusiasm is good news for the Dems:

It should be noted a lot the democratic candidates who Democrats were hoping to  get them the senate flopped.

31 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

It should be noted a lot the democratic candidates who Democrats were hoping to  get them the senate flopped.

It should be noted I have no idea why this is a response to my post.

20 hours ago, Myshkin said:

Kinda, yes. I mean, they’re still all in on Trump, but they’re turning on McConnell (he of the Chicom wife) and senate republicans. One thing I’ve seen a lot of in the last few days is talk about how this is no longer about left vs. right, but top vs. bottom. These rich elites are just out to screw hardworking normal people. Which is, you know, pinko commie talk if I ever heard it.

Yet, Trump is still their golden god?

It must be annoying for the Georgia voter, though, I can understand, no matter how much one supports the get out the vote activity -- plus, it's been going on for so long, so many elections and endless campaigns from governor to senator to president, like everything else just keeps going on. One begins to wonder if for Georgians at least, from now on voting will also always mean pandemic.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/ive-never-been-courted-the-way-i-am-being-now-im-a-georgia-voter/2020/12/24/6af5df04-4606-11eb-b0e4-0f182923a025_story.html

.... In addition to electing their first Democratic presidential candidate since 1992, Georgians last month ushered in other seismic shifts. Three metro-Atlanta counties — Cobb, Gwinnett and Henry — elected their first Black sheriffs. Those counties, along with five others, are now or soon will be headed by African Americans, four of whom are women.

Georgia is now home to thousands of Black professionals such as myself who’ve returned to the South. Many of my friends — Black, White, Latinx and others — moved here from other parts of the country for jobs and affordable homes. Young, educated, politically active people such as my 23-year-old son also are remaking the political landscape. The social and racial unrest this year is even more proof of that....

....President Trump has been “a real catalyst” for getting out the Democratic vote in Georgia, according to Pat Pullar, a political consultant and former deputy director of the Democratic Party of Georgia. But there was “significant groundwork” underway in Georgia even before Trump. Clayton now has dozens of Black female elected officials, a remarkable achievement due in part to groups such as Black Women’s Roundtable and the Georgia Coalition for the People’s Agenda, which was founded by the Rev. Joseph Lowery, the late civil rights icon. Such grass-roots groups, many of them nonpartisan and multiracial, are working for more diverse representation in local governments....

Archived