Baseless Predictions Thread

The Bard of Banefort

On 10/22/2021 at 12:21 AM, The Bard of Banefort said:Naerys and Aemon weren't the original Cersei and Jaime, they were the original Margaery and Loras. The Dragonknight was gay.

Aside from just being a great troll move on GRRM’s part, this would also hammer home just how much of a POS Aegon IV was, if he accused his gay brother of fathering his son.

9 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

One Ring to rule them all... and in the coldness bind them.

In the Land of Always Winter, where the Shadows lie. 

56 minutes ago, WhatAnArtist! said:

This would actually be a pretty amazing twist. 

It would, indeed. We'd also have a Ned Stark reborn if Boromir is still alive. 

1 hour ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

It would, indeed. We'd also have a Ned Stark reborn if Boromir is still alive. 

Ned is definitely more Faramir than Boromir. Oh, wait, . . . I get it now. I'll show myself out now.

On 10/27/2021 at 10:35 PM, Jaenara Belarys said:

The leader of the Others is Sauron.

White walkers are actually good people who we shouldn't fight (looks at @CamiloRP and @Mourning Star).

Yes!

The one responsible for the return of the Others is a dark lord with one red eye no longer able to walk the world of men in a mortal body but who sends undead servants out to retrieve his precious little protagonist while appearing himself only in visions as he watches the living. He resides behind a giant wall on the opposite side from the realms of Men where an crownless king waits under a false identity who's forefather's sword is broken.

And, for the comically inclined...

That's well and good, but the Wall is a very long way and Bran has no legs but Hodor. If we were mounted . . ."
"If we were eagles we might fly," said Jojen sharply, "but we have no wings, no more than we have horses."

3 minutes ago, Mourning Star said:

The one responsible for the return of the Others is a dark lord with one red eye no longer able to walk the world of men in a mortal body but who sends undead servants out to retrieve his precious little protagonist.

That would be an amazing twist, honestly. We could have Tyrion pull back from the brink when he meets Gimli, a LegolasxDaenerys ship (Imagine how pretty a baby of theirs would be :) ). 

One last thing....."my precious" is for Gollum, I think. 

3 hours ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

That would be an amazing twist, honestly. We could have Tyrion pull back from the brink when he meets Gimli, a LegolasxDaenerys ship (Imagine how pretty a baby of theirs would be :) ). 

One last thing....."my precious" is for Gollum, I think. 

Not just Gollum, Bilbo, Frodo and Isildur refer to it as "precious" that too. Even Elrond calls it the precious ring. The word "precious" is used in ASoIaF in some interesting ways, including refering to Ned's honor and Dany's eggs.

Rhaenys was a child too. Prince Rhaegar's daughter. A precious little thing, younger than your girls. She had a small black kitten she called Balerion, did you know?

Speaking of the precious...

“Instead of a Dark Lord, you would have a queen, not dark but beautiful and terrible as the dawn! Tempestuous as the sea, and stronger than the foundations of the earth! All shall love me and despair!”

The House of the Undying and Gladriel's Mirror are not dissimilar. Dragons are as much a threat to humanity as the Others. But again, they are almost certainly the result of human meddling.

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

More to the point, a fantastic plot point to the Lord of the Rings is that rather than trying to win a war with the armies of men led by the noble king returned, the war is won by a few simple souls seeking out Mt Doom. (mind you there is still a battle, it just isn't the deciding factor).

“I have found that it is the small everyday deed of ordinary folks that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love." -Gandalf

I think the parallel to ASoIaF in this regard is very strong. The armies of Men and Elves didn't truly defeat Sauron with the Last Alliance at the start of the Third Age, any more than the Night's Watch ended the threat of the Long Night at the Battle of the Dawn, all crows are liars. Why? Because the courage of men failed, and the parallel between the Night's King and Isildur seems easy to draw (especially if the Last Hero was the Night's King).

So as cold and death filled the earth, the last hero determined to seek out the children, in the hopes that their ancient magics could win back what the armies of men had lost. He set out into the dead lands with a sword, a horse, a dog, and a dozen companions. For years he searched, until he despaired of ever finding the children of the forest in their secret cities.

And in LotR the fellowship is broken, only for Sam. Frodo, and Gollum to finish the quest.

I expect Bloodraven to try and body snatch Bran, but for Bran to escape (probably by a one way route, the underground river to the crypts of Winterfell). This sets up a Mt Doom scenario for a conclusion rather than a final "Battle for the Dawn", which has never really made sense thematically. It also solves GRRM's critique of Tolkien using "evil" nonhuman orcs and dark lords as villains. I would be shocked if the threat to mankind wasn't caused by mankind.

Archived