Why Bran as King would be a terrible idea

Alyn Oakenfist

2 hours ago, BlackLightning said:

If the North goes, then Dorne and the Iron Islands go. They have less reason to stay than the Northmen did. And once Dorne and the Iron Islands go, the West, the Stormlands and the Reach will follow suit.

Who is making these decisions? The composition of nobles who decide to join/stay may be very different at the end of the story. Bran not caring if people join or stay is actually a good point in his favor. Voluntary decisions to join a union without coercion - such a novel concept for Westeros! Having to persuade others to join with facts and logic rather than at dragonpoint! I can see Tyrion rolling out a "Join a United Westeros" campaign and it being successful enough. If other kingdoms want to leave, who gives a fuck.

On 12/24/2020 at 11:19 PM, BlackLightning said:

In regards to the Stark sisters, I think the end of the series will end with a massive inversion. Either Arya will die (as a consequence of her choices to be a warrior) or she will live and decide to set aside Needle, settle down and have a family. And Sansa will decide to be a single, childfree and kickass politician/noblewoman and a gifted skinchanger...sorta like Barbrey Dustin or more genteel Maege Mormont.

I see your point. The inversion concept feels like something GRRM is planning. 

Both girls have a potential to die if they continue on their current paths (Arya/FM & Sansa/LF). Characters who play the game don't have happy endings. Even Sansa sees that when she thinks about slipping up once and she's dead. At the minimum, actively engaging in power moves that have collateral damage is very LF-esque. Sansa’s situation is going to get messy and dark... like it already has with Arya. 

Your prediction for Arya is a tale of two extremes. Either she dies or leaves behind everything that makes her story unique and just conforms to the most rudimentary role of a woman. I diuno. Will she not get to put her skills (outside of killing) to better use? She wanted to do more than just be a wife & mother (which are noble pursuits imo) but not the ceiling for Arya Stark surely. 

We don't have to worry about that.  One, there won't be a kingdom for him to rule.  Second, he is the last greenseer.  He is not leaving that cave.  Indeed it will be a terrible idea because he now has a duty to remain in that cave and take BR's place.  Bran doesn't have the experience.  His bitterness will also cripple his decisions like it did Jon's at the wall.  Bran would make for a terrible king. 

7 hours ago, The Lord of the Crossing said:

We don't have to worry about that.  One, there won't be a kingdom for him to rule.  Second, he is the last greenseer.  He is not leaving that cave.  Indeed it will be a terrible idea because he now has a duty to remain in that cave and take BR's place.  Bran doesn't have the experience.  His bitterness will also cripple his decisions like it did Jon's at the wall.  Bran would make for a terrible king. 

:cheers:

:agree:

Spoiler

Agreed 

On 12/23/2020 at 12:25 PM, Alyn Oakenfist said:

But what do you think? Should Bran be King at the end, or is it just a stupid idea?

I don't like it.  Bran has not taken enough risk to serve the people.  He made the journey to the north for his own benefit.  It's like saying Sansa should rule.  She doesn't deserve it.  It doesn't sound good to me.  I don't like Jon but at least he has done some good for others besides himself.  He has some basis to earn the right to lead.  I don't think it will happen because he is the lone wolf.  His brothers at the Wall 86ed him.  The people of the north will be pissed with him for arranging the marriage of lady Karstark to Sigorn.  They will see this as an example of Jon attacking the Karstarks for leaving Robb.  Jon will be persona non grata in the north.  However, Jon could end up leading the Wildlings.  He can become the king in the North in a roundabout way.  For example, the Boltons and Stannis could cancel each other out.  The power vacuum in the north will be filled by the Wildlings.  Jon could lord over Winterfell and the north if this should occur. 

I don't like the idea of Bran as King because there is absolutely no reason for him to be chosen to lead. At least not based on what we have seen in the show where a lot of hoopla was made of Bran no longer being human, by his own admission. He might act as a clairvoyant advisor, a seer, but not as king. I think if there actually was a council of the main characters making this decision at the end, then they would choose Tyrion since he was clearly the smartest, least murderous, and had already shown great aptitude for leadership while he was Hand of the King.

Archived