The Starks: Rulers of a Frozen Hell

James West

"Better to reign in hell, than serve in heaven"

Jon Snow and Arya Stark cannot be expected to have the wisdom and humility of Torrhen.  It is only a matter of time until Bran Stark betrays Brynden Rivers and rejects his teachings.  Rickon Stark is not going to be an altar boy unless it's to slit people's throats in front of the weirwoods.  Jon and Arya have proven that they cannot function within the boundaries of rules and laws.  The Starks will choose independence over being a part of a Queendom/Kingdom/Empire.  The barrier called Moat Cailin and the Neck will prevent the Targaryen forces from advancing from the South.  The land will not be united.  I would not put it past the Starks to use their skin changing powers to use wights and other creatures in battle.  They will be able to hold off any advance from the South.  And they will reap the consequences of that decision.   They will get their independence and their freedom but they will rule over a frozen hell with few living inhabitants.  A pact with the Others will be involved which may require the Starks to give a son every so often. 

5 minutes ago, James West said:

Jon Snow and Arya Stark cannot be expected to have the wisdom and humility of Torrhen.  It is only a matter of time until Bran Stark betrays Brynden Rivers and rejects his teachings.  Rickon Stark is not going to be an altar boy unless it's to slit people's throats in front of the weirwoods.  Jon and Arya have proven that they cannot function within the boundaries of rules and laws.  The Starks will choose independence over being a part of a Queendom/Kingdom/Empire.  The barrier called Moat Cailin and the Neck will prevent the Targaryen forces from advancing from the South.  The land will not be united.  I would not put it past the Starks to use their skin changing powers to use wights and other creatures in battle.  They will be able to hold off any advance from the South.  And they will reap the consequences of that decision.   They will get their independence and their freedom but they will rule over a frozen hell with few living inhabitants.  A pact with the Others will be involved which may require the Starks to give a son every so often. 

Bran, the Star Wars inspired betrayal.  Blood raven served Westeros and the royal family for a long time.  He deserves better.  Bran will have to employ some type of a dirty trick to overpower Bloodraven.  He’s not learned enough to fight the master. 

Oh boy. Another bad faith Stark hate thread.

44 minutes ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

Bran, the Star Wars inspired betrayal.  Blood raven served Westeros and the royal family for a long time.  He deserves better.  Bran will have to employ some type of a dirty trick to overpower Bloodraven.  He’s not learned enough to fight the master. 

ASOIAF is not Star Wars. Sorry to disappoint you.

Better the cool and dark Underworld of the Starks than the blood and fire Hell above ground. Some foreshadowing from one of Arya's chapters in ACOK:

She got dirt in her mouth but she didn't care, the taste was fine, the taste was mud and water and worms and life. Under the earth the air was cool and dark. Above was nothing but blood and roaring red and choking smoke and the screams of dying horses. She moved her belt around so Needle would not be in her way, and began to crawl. A dozen feet down the tunnel she heard the sound, like the roar of some monstrous beast, and a cloud of hot smoke and black dust came billowing up behind her, smelling of hell

5 hours ago, James West said:

Most Caitlin is no defense against dragons. But since we don't know when the real Targaryen will arrive, yeah, this could happen.  Aegon doesn't have the means to get through the swamps, bogs, and crannogmen.  One land, one realm is better able to fight the white Walkers but the Starks, through Bran, might have the tools to work out a deal which allows them to stay in the north. Winter won't last forever.  

7 hours ago, James West said:

Bran Stark betrays Brynden Rivers and rejects his teachings

Reject away! Brynden is the one that got himself banished to the Wall, deserted, and stuck inside a tree for the rest of his life. Maybe he doesn't quite know "everything."

Jon and Arya have proven that they cannot function within the boundaries of rules and laws.

I know right? How dare they rebel against despots. Why can't they just do whatever Ramsayhitler and Joffreystalin tell them to do?

They will get their independence and their freedom but they will rule over a frozen hell with few living inhabitants.  A pact with the Others will be involved which may require the Starks to give a son every so often.

So they save the Others from advancing south, thus protecting the rest of the kingdoms, but you think they'll be punished...for doing Westeros a solid?

8 hours ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Say the line @TheLastWolf...

7 hours ago, Nathan Stark said:

Oh boy. Another bad faith Stark hate thread.

ASOIAF is not Star Wars. Sorry to disappoint you.

7 hours ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Yup. I guess we won't need @TheLastWolf to say the line :))))

7 hours ago, Nathan Stark said:

Don't worry. I'm his backup today.

NOOOOOOOOO!!!! 

How can you do this to me!? 

It's my line. 

* Grumble Grumble *

Should have gone to bed later. Hmmph. 

Anyway, here's my line 

ANOTHER STARK HATE THREAD 

TADA! 

44 minutes ago, TheLastWolf said:

NOOOOOOOOO!!!! 

How can you do this to me!? 

It's my line. 

* Grumble Grumble *

Should have gone to bed later. Hmmph. 

Anyway, here's my line 

ANOTHER STARK HATE THREAD 

TADA! 

Happy Holidays!

16 hours ago, James West said:

Hopefully it will not get this bad.  Peace is not possible while Arya and Jon are alive.  They will die and peace will be possible after.  I don't think Sansa is an endgame character.  Rickon will be wild as the cannibals but revenge to him is a concept, as it is for Daenerys, because he did not personally witness the deaths of his parents and family.  Rickn will be open to peace.  I hope.  But Bran is being shown those visions for a reason.  His visions beginning in Game are very, very similar to the ones Daenerys was also having.  I believe Daenerys and Bran will find a way to cooperate.  Uniting the kingdoms would be great but perhaps some type of alliance by necessity will come into the picture.  The Starks as well as a not insignificant number of lords will choose to remain in their castles, the source of their power, arrogance, and status, instead of moving to Essos.  They will die for trying to hold on to the glory of the past when the WWs and the wights come to their castle.  The commons and peasants who survive will have the good sense to move to Essos and wait out the weather.  In the end, though, I picture a scene where Bran will oversee the west as the greenseer and Daenerys will reign over Essos as the Mhysa.  This after all is the way it was at the beginning of time, the Maiden Made Of Light and the Great Lion Of The Night look after their flock.  I am convinced Daenerys and Bran are those two. 

12 minutes ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

What is up with the tone of these posts, they are all the same. Its like written in the style of a bot. Block long paragraphs listing each Stark's death and intoning that this WILL happen with the certitude of an Oracle.  

Trust me, it's not a cult

I'm in my in law's and suck at typing in my phone, could someone kill this fucking bullshit the same way we killed the 'how brutal were the Starks of old' dumbass thread?

9 minutes ago, CamiloRP said:

I'm in my in law's and suck at typing in my phone, could someone kill this fucking bullshit the same way we killed the 'how brutal were the Starks of old' dumbass thread?

Threads like these tend to be heavy on assertions and light on evidence. For example, take the claim about Bran rejecting Bloodraven's "teachings." What are these teachings exactly? We barely met the guy, and now we are supposed to treat him like Master Yoda?

18 hours ago, James West said:

Rickon Stark is not going to be an altar boy unless it's to slit people's throats in front of the weirwoods.

How does Rickon go from where he is now to slitting throats? How does this endpoint come around?

Jon and Arya have proven that they cannot function within the boundaries of rules and laws.

That's a zero sum statement that doesn't take character growth into account. It also ignores the context of Jon and Arya's situations. Jon's alcohol infused scene at Castle Black should not be used to define his whole character. Arya's experiences in the Riverlands prove that rules and laws have no meaning in the chaos of war. So again, this should not be used to cast judgement on her entire character.

The Starks will choose independence over being a part of a Queendom/Kingdom/Empire.

What's wrong with that?

I would not put it past the Starks to use their skin changing powers to use wights and other creatures in battle.

Humans don't have the power to warg wights.

They will get their independence and their freedom but they will rule over a frozen hell with few living inhabitants.

Sounds more like whoever wins the Iron Throne, to be honest. The Others aren't stopping at just the North.

A pact with the Others will be involved which may require the Starks to give a son every so often.

This just maintains the status quo. If this is how the story ends, then what was the point of all this? Stories should end in resolution, not in stasis.

Since the Starks are introduced as the main protagonists of the story, it is hard to believe that George would make them the villians.

Archived