The Starks: Rulers of a Frozen Hell

James West

10 hours ago, Josette DuPres said:

Hopefully it will not get this bad.  Peace is not possible while Arya and Jon are alive.  They will die and peace will be possible after.  I don't think Sansa is an endgame character.  Rickon will be wild as the cannibals but revenge to him is a concept, as it is for Daenerys, because he did not personally witness the deaths of his parents and family.  Rickn will be open to peace.  I hope.  But Bran is being shown those visions for a reason.  His visions beginning in Game are very, very similar to the ones Daenerys was also having.  I believe Daenerys and Bran will find a way to cooperate.  Uniting the kingdoms would be great but perhaps some type of alliance by necessity will come into the picture.  The Starks as well as a not insignificant number of lords will choose to remain in their castles, the source of their power, arrogance, and status, instead of moving to Essos.  They will die for trying to hold on to the glory of the past when the WWs and the wights come to their castle.  The commons and peasants who survive will have the good sense to move to Essos and wait out the weather.  In the end, though, I picture a scene where Bran will oversee the west as the greenseer and Daenerys will reign over Essos as the Mhysa.  This after all is the way it was at the beginning of time, the Maiden Made Of Light and the Great Lion Of The Night look after their flock.  I am convinced Daenerys and Bran are those two. 

The straws you're grasping are all completely imaginary. It must be so exhausting being this bitter. 

15 hours ago, Nathan Stark said:

How does Rickon go from where he is now to slitting throats? How does this endpoint come around?

Nathan buddy, I very rarely disagree with you about something you disagree with the haters but i have to now 

We haven't seen Rickon for a couple of years, give or take a few weeks. He was wildly unreasonable, sharing all the bad qualities possible with Shaggy. I doubt years with Skagosi cannibals would have improved his temperament. 

15 hours ago, Nathan Stark said:

Since the Starks are introduced as the main protagonists of the story, it is hard to believe that George would make them the villians.

Yes. But Rickon may be the sacrificial goat. We can't have all of them being goody good kids after all. Throw a bone to appease the haters 

On 12/24/2020 at 3:47 PM, James West said:

"Better to reign in hell, than serve in heaven"

Jon Snow and Arya Stark cannot be expected to have the wisdom and humility of Torrhen.  It is only a matter of time until Bran Stark betrays Brynden Rivers and rejects his teachings.  Rickon Stark is not going to be an altar boy unless it's to slit people's throats in front of the weirwoods.  Jon and Arya have proven that they cannot function within the boundaries of rules and laws.  The Starks will choose independence over being a part of a Queendom/Kingdom/Empire.  The barrier called Moat Cailin and the Neck will prevent the Targaryen forces from advancing from the South.  The land will not be united.  I would not put it past the Starks to use their skin changing powers to use wights and other creatures in battle.  They will be able to hold off any advance from the South.  And they will reap the consequences of that decision.   They will get their independence and their freedom but they will rule over a frozen hell with few living inhabitants.  A pact with the Others will be involved which may require the Starks to give a son every so often. 

Bran's place is in that cave and grafted to those roots.  The whole of Westeros will be in trouble if he rejects that duty.  I am not claiming that he won't.  But if he does, he will be king of the walking dead.  Arya will die in the act of murdering the people on that list.  She is not going to make it back to the north as a human.  Jon isn't coming back as a warm blooded human.  The decision may not up to them.  Bran, Rickon, and Sansa will get to make that decision.  I foresee a lot of friction between Sansa and the surviving Starks.  The wolves will have their own dance.  Bran will be the last one of them still standing in the end. 

On 12/24/2020 at 5:47 PM, James West said:

Jon Snow and Arya Stark cannot be expected to have the wisdom and humility of Torrhen.  It is only a matter of time until Bran Stark betrays Brynden Rivers and rejects his teachings.  Rickon Stark is not going to be an altar boy unless it's to slit people's throats in front of the weirwoods.  Jon and Arya have proven that they cannot function within the boundaries of rules and laws.  The Starks will choose independence over being a part of a Queendom/Kingdom/Empire.  The barrier called Moat Cailin and the Neck will prevent the Targaryen forces from advancing from the South.  The land will not be united.  I would not put it past the Starks to use their skin changing powers to use wights and other creatures in battle.  They will be able to hold off any advance from the South.  And they will reap the consequences of that decision.   They will get their independence and their freedom but they will rule over a frozen hell with few living inhabitants.  A pact with the Others will be involved which may require the Starks to give a son every so often. 

Dany cannot be expected to have the wisdom and humility of Aegon V.  It is only a matter of time until she betrays Quaithe and rejects her teachings.  Dany is not going to be an altar girl unless it's to burn people in the name of R'hlorDany has proven that she cannot function within the boundaries of peaceShe will choose ruling over justice and peaceYoung Griff will prevent Dany from being queen.  The people will not be united.  I would not put it past Dany to use her dragons to use burn innocents aliveShe will be able to conquer through fire and blood.  And the smallfolk will reap the consequences of that decision.   She get 'her' kingdom but she will rule over ashes with few living inhabitants.  A pact with R'hlor will be involved which may require Dany to burn innocents every so often. 

11 minutes ago, CamiloRP said:

Dany cannot be expected to have the wisdom and humility of Aegon V.  It is only a matter of time until she betrays Quaithe and rejects her teachings.  Dany is not going to be an altar girl unless it's to burn people in the name of R'hlorDany has proven that she cannot function within the boundaries of peaceShe will choose ruling over justice and peaceYoung Griff will prevent Dany from being queen.  The people will not be united.  I would not put it past Dany to use her dragons to use burn innocents aliveShe will be able to conquer through fire and blood.  And the smallfolk will reap the consequences of that decision.   She get 'her' kingdom but she will rule over ashes with few living inhabitants.  A pact with R'hlor will be involved which may require Dany to burn innocents every so often. 

Oh boy, this is going to be fun...

Nice idea for future hate threads though, we'll be watching this idea's career with great interest.

I thought Martin was going for Dante's frozen hell.  Maybe not.

Frozen Hell (Literature) - TV Tropes

Frozen Hell is a science fiction novel written in 1938 by John W. Campbell. It's 1939 and the Garry Expedition, headed by the eponymous Commander Garry, is in the Antarctic studying a variety of phenomena from the weather to geology to biology from their central base, Big Magnet, so named because of its proximity to the Earth's southern magnetic pole.

One day, a team led by meteorologist McReady and physicist Norris heads out to find what they think is a meteorite whose magnetic properties have been futzing with their instruments, only do discover a crashed, frozen UFO beneath the ice, along with the equally frozen body of one of its occupants, a blue-skinned, wormy-haired humanoid with three blazing red eyes which the group takes to calling "the Thing." Efforts to melt the ice around the spaceship only result in its accidental destruction, but McReady's team nevertheless manages to make it back to Big Magnet with the Thing in a block of ice.

16 minutes ago, LynnS said:

I thought Martin was going for Dante's frozen hell.  Maybe not.

Frozen Hell (Literature) - TV Tropes

Frozen Hell is a science fiction novel written in 1938 by John W. Campbell. It's 1939 and the Garry Expedition, headed by the eponymous Commander Garry, is in the Antarctic studying a variety of phenomena from the weather to geology to biology from their central base, Big Magnet, so named because of its proximity to the Earth's southern magnetic pole.

One day, a team led by meteorologist McReady and physicist Norris heads out to find what they think is a meteorite whose magnetic properties have been futzing with their instruments, only do discover a crashed, frozen UFO beneath the ice, along with the equally frozen body of one of its occupants, a blue-skinned, wormy-haired humanoid with three blazing red eyes which the group takes to calling "the Thing." Efforts to melt the ice around the spaceship only result in its accidental destruction, but McReady's team nevertheless manages to make it back to Big Magnet with the Thing in a block of ice.

Why don't we just... wait here for a while, see what happens who gets this reference (offers gasoline bottle as music starts, resembling a human heart, only it's not quite right, because it's only a replica)

7 hours ago, The Lord of the Crossing said:

Bran's place is in that cave and grafted to those roots.  The whole of Westeros will be in trouble if he rejects that duty.  I am not claiming that he won't.  But if he does, he will be king of the walking dead.  Arya will die in the act of murdering the people on that list.  She is not going to make it back to the north as a human.  Jon isn't coming back as a warm blooded human.  The decision may not up to them.  Bran, Rickon, and Sansa will get to make that decision.  I foresee a lot of friction between Sansa and the surviving Starks.  The wolves will have their own dance.  Bran will be the last one of them still standing in the end. 

Better late then never, Late Lord Frey 

13 hours ago, The Lord of the Crossing said:

Bran will shirk on this duty.  I am sure of it.  This is a consistent problem among the Starks.  Jon chose his family over his duties at the wall.  Arya chose her own brand of justice over the assignment from the FM.  Robb had a duty to marry one of Walder's daughters and he reneged. 

8 hours ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Oh boy, this is going to be fun...

Nice idea for future hate threads though, we'll be watching this idea's career with great interest.

I'm honestly not so sure about it myself, but let's wait and see I guess.

I don't have a problem with it; as long as it's only Stark boys being sacrificed.  They can keep the north.  It's not a valuable expanse of land. 

On 12/24/2020 at 9:47 PM, James West said:

18 hours ago, CamiloRP said:

Is it wrong to agree with both? After all, it is a "Song of Ice and Fire", and Hell can be both flaming and frozen (we see both in Dante's Inferno). And we have examples of Starks sacrificing people to weirwoods, and of Valyrians making human sacrifices to fire (and when Cult of R'h'llor supporting Daenerys gets rolling...).

On 12/25/2020 at 4:57 PM, Nathan Stark said:

This is Martin writing, so I'm liable to treat Bloodraven less like Master Yoda and more like Darth Yoda...

5 hours ago, Aldarion said:

Is it wrong to agree with both? After all, it is a "Song of Ice and Fire", and Hell can be both flaming and frozen (we see both in Dante's Inferno). And we have examples of Starks sacrificing people to weirwoods, and of Valyrians making human sacrifices to fire (and when Cult of R'h'llor supporting Daenerys gets rolling...).

Not at all, I don't agree with either tho.

This is Martin writing, so I'm liable to treat Bloodraven less like Master Yoda and more like Darth Yoda...

Absolutely! Him and the COTF have hidden intentions.

He only needs to control one white walker if they are hive minded.  

23 hours ago, CamiloRP said:

Not at all, I don't agree with either tho.

The sevens hells is used as a common epithet and so I wondered what the frozen hell represented.  It's reserved for the worst kind of sinner; those who have betrayed god(s):

In "The Inferno", Dante placed Lucifer in the innermost part of the ninth (Deepest) circle of Hell where he was frozen up to his waist in ice. He was described as having three heads which he was gnawing upon history's three greatest traitors: Brutus, Cassius and Judas Iscariot.

- traitors to their kindred

- traitors to their country

- traitors to their guests

- traitors to their lords

Inferno (Dante) - Wikipedia

The frozen hell reserved for Starks.  Why are the Starks cursed to have a special place in hell?

On 12/27/2020 at 12:59 AM, Son of Man said:

I don't have a problem with it; as long as it's only Stark boys being sacrificed.  They can keep the north.  It's not a valuable expanse of land. 

The north is not valuable in terms of real estate and commercial value.  It is the buffer zone between humanity and the white walkers though.  Think of it as a no-man's land zone. 

On 12/27/2020 at 4:20 AM, Aldarion said:

Bloodraven is Obi Wan and Bran is Darth Vader. 

Archived