Will Daenaerys be more Maegor or Jaehaerys

Alyn Oakenfist

So Daenaerys is a Targaryen defined by her dragons to a rate that only Aegon I, Maegor and Jaehaerys I ever were. Now she's not really Aegon given that she's not going to build everything from scratch, so that leaves her as one of two, Maegor or Jaehaerys. So which one will she emulate. Will she be like Maegor, using dragons to deal with everything, or will she be like Jaehaerys, making sure everyone knows she has dragons, but almost never actually using them, keeping them as a deterrent against rebellion and to keep everyone in line with the more radical reforms.

Thematically, it's the difference between using nukes, or just using them as a deterrent. So which one will she go for?

Daenaerys, thinking that people of Westeros will welcome her with open arms and parade her, will act like Jaehaerys initially, using her Dragons as a symbol to allies and warning to enemies.

But after she sees Aegon steal her thunder and the love of the smallfolk and respect of the lords, Westeros will reject her when they compare a woman with a queer retinue consisting of a Dothraki horde, former slaves and Eunuch soldiers to a Young man with the support of the Faith + full support of Dorne + Stormlands + 1/2 the Reach and the Crownlands, Dany will then start a 2nd Dance with Dragons, and after she kills Aegon she will start her descent into Maegor

She will be her own person, the type of ruler required by the times.  Firm when necessary and merciful when the situation requires it.  Daenerys is a better leader compared to the ones currently in Westeros right now, Cersei, Jon Snow, Stannis, Faegon, and Doran.  Daenerys Targaryen, to me, is the heroine of the novels.

Annoying religious resistance vs. Annoying slaver resistance. Same trigger. She tried deterrence in Meereen and while it worked well enough for her goal to keep the city free, she flips on a whim because she just wants to be done with Meereen real fast, and go to Westeros. 

I thought it was funny when one of Jaehaerys' daughters compares herself to Maegor, and her dad was furious that she would make such a careless statement. While Dany namedrops Maegor like this is a point in her favor.

19 minutes ago, Mithras said:

Rhaenyra. It is obvious.

I hope not. Having all the female rulers be the same would be quite tiresome and cliché. Rhaenyra is Matilda I, make Dany Elizabeth Woodville or Anne Neville or Margaret Beaufort, or Mary I or Elizabeth. Plenty to choose from, some good, some bad some in between.

3 hours ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

So Daenaerys is a Targaryen defined by her dragons to a rate that only Aegon I, Maegor and Jaehaerys I ever were. Now she's not really Aegon given that she's not going to build everything from scratch, so that leaves her as one of two, Maegor or Jaehaerys. So which one will she emulate. Will she be like Maegor, using dragons to deal with everything, or will she be like Jaehaerys, making sure everyone knows she has dragons, but almost never actually using them, keeping them as a deterrent against rebellion and to keep everyone in line with the more radical reforms.

Thematically, it's the difference between using nukes, or just using them as a deterrent. So which one will she go for?

Well, given the mess that the Baratheons and their friends have done to Westeros, she will have to be Aegon the Conqueror.  Aegon was a good ruler by all accounts.  Westeros is not a kingdom at this time.  Each of the petty high lords are playing at king again.  The discipline needed to survive through the winter does not exist in westeros right now.  She will do what is necessary to see the world through the long night and beyond. 

Just now, 300 H&H Magnum said:

Well, given the mess that the Baratheons and their friends have done to Westeros, she will have to be Aegon the Conqueror.  Aegon was a good ruler by all accounts.  Westeros is not a kingdom at this time.  Each of the petty high lords are playing at king again.  The discipline needed to survive through the winter does not exist in westeros right now.  She will do what is necessary to see the world through the long night and beyond. 

I was more dismissing him as he's somewhere in between Jaehaerys and Maegor on the force vs suggestion scale. Also we don't really know that much about him, besides being quite ambitious, and even that is not for sure. So I was thinking more the two Targaryens who's character is better known. The question remains, on a scale of Jaehaerys to Maegor where do you see Dany falling?

Just now, Alyn Oakenfist said:

I was more dismissing him as he's somewhere in between Jaehaerys and Maegor on the force vs suggestion scale. Also we don't really know that much about him, besides being quite ambitious, and even that is not for sure. So I was thinking more the two Targaryens who's character is better known. The question remains, on a scale of Jaehaerys to Maegor where do you see Dany falling?

You can start the post but can't really control the responses.  But sure, I will play along.  She is most similar to Aegon the Conqueror.  She has been described as the female version of Aegon.  She can be likened to Jaeherys because she is interested in the welfare of the people and she is willing to try diplomatic means to achieve her goals.  Dany is also very smart and brave.  These are traits which she shares with Jaeherys and Aegon. 

1 minute ago, 300 H&H Magnum said:

You can start the post but can't really control the responses.  But sure, I will play along.  She is most similar to Aegon the Conqueror.  She has been described as the female version of Aegon.  She can be likened to Jaeherys because she is interested in the welfare of the people and she is willing to try diplomatic means to achieve her goals.  Dany is also very smart and brave.  These are traits which she shares with Jaeherys and Aegon. 

I wasn't trying to control anything, I was just curious. I do mostly agree, but especially by TWOW I can see some slight more Maegor-esque elements in relation to how she uses dragons. But there is clearly also that very strong Jaehaerys like part of her that cares about her subjects and is willing to negotiate and compromise for them.

Just now, Alyn Oakenfist said:

I wasn't trying to control anything, I was just curious. I do mostly agree, but especially by TWOW I can see some slight more Maegor-esque elements in relation to how she uses dragons. But there is clearly also that very strong Jaehaerys like part of her that cares about her subjects and is willing to negotiate and compromise for them.

okay

6 hours ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Jaehaerys did use dragons.  Brutally.

2 hours ago, 300 H&H Magnum said:

She can be both conqueror and ruler.  Aegon was in his day. 

Neither. I think Daenerys will more like Aegon the Unlikely, Daeron the Young Dragon, Baelor the Blessed and Daeron the Good if all of them had dragons.

Daenerys as a character seems like a fusion of Visenya (tough warrior-queen, polarizing) and Aegon the Unlikely (lover and protector of the downtrodden and the lowborn). Both characters are closely linked with magic.

If I had to choose one out of the two, Daenerys leans heavily in the direction of Jaehaerys.

Daenerys knows that kinslaying is wrong. She wistfully thinks of Aegon and would be glad to know that she isn't alone in the world anymore. And she wouldn't make a move against Aegon until she knows that he is fake and/or dangerous.

9 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Only once and even then in self defense. No one but the Dornish batted an eye at that.

The threat was always there. Jaehaerys went so far as to threaten the Sealord and all of Braavos with utter annihilation.

3 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Emphasis on the threat

Okay?

First of all, threatening someone and their entire homeland with utter annihilations by dragonfire is pretty damn serious. It's not a schoolyard threat. It's bigger than your run-of-the-mill death threat.

Second of all, threats are meaningless (and self-destructive) unless you are capable and willing to follow through. They are like promises.

Jaehaerys made himself very clear. He was willing and capable.

The same thing applies to Rhaena, Visenya, Aegon the Conqueror, etc.

Archived