WW84 (Spoilers)

Jaxom 1974

10 minutes ago, Gronzag said:

I very much agree that finding a few critics whose tastes align with yours is the best way to go, but most people have no patience for a 5-10 minutes video or article. I think that people who watch/read reviews are usually outliers who often through increased engagement give a wrong impression about what the general audience wants. Hence why so many 'highly anticipated' sci-fi movies bomb, even with great reviews.

And as for shilling, I do believe that the studios are gaming the system by giving early access to selected critics who they expect will give a positive early score and maybe influence others critics' opinion. I don't think that they are actually paying people off with money.

Oh no, I wasn't suggesting that. They wouldn't be dumb enough to pay critics for good press. If for no other reason than payola scandals inevitably get exposed. This has happened numerous times in the music business.

What they can do is grant or restrict access. Aside form the perks (eg. all expenses paid trip to London or Hawaii to see the film); Things like press screenings, Face time with cast & crew, set visits, "leaks", etc. are the bread and butter for online entertainment news outlets. That's how they get clicks and thats how they make money. Don't take my word for it; Dany Roth kind of acknowledged it on a SyFy wire podcast last year.

Or look at what happened with Joker. Before the premiere, the film was getting hammered in the press for "incel this", or "violence that", and WB said, "Fine. No Previews. No press on the red carpet other than photographers." I have to admit they had half a point because people were getting kind of stupid with that stuff.

I'm not suggesting there was a "conspiracy to sink the film", I'm also not saying there was no reason for concern; but that whole narrative seemed to have this crazy energy that consumed all other discussion about the film itself.

7 minutes ago, Gronzag said:

I also wonder, who is more influential- reviewers from major outlets like NYT, or popular YouTubers like Jahns and Stuckmann?

Unfortunately, for most movie goers, it's probably Rotten Tomatoes.

Archived