What if Theon spilled the beans on fake arya?

laningx3

I was reading a dance with dragons when I came across this line on the Prince of Winterfell chapter. "Theon grew up with Arya. Theon would know an imposter. If he was seen to accept Boltons feigned girl as Arya no one would question her legitimacy." But this was actually an oppurtunity for Theon to screw the Boltons over. He could have revealed her to be Jeyne Poole. Personally I think Jeyne would have been killed. And Theon as well assuming he's lucky.

3 hours ago, laningx3 said:

I was reading a dance with dragons when I came across this line on the Prince of Winterfell chapter. "Theon grew up with Arya. Theon would know an imposter. If he was seen to accept Boltons feigned girl as Arya no one would question her legitimacy." But this was actually an oppurtunity for Theon to screw the Boltons over. He could have revealed her to be Jeyne Poole. Personally I think Jeyne would have been killed. And Theon as well assuming he's lucky.

You’ve answered your own question.

Not much would really change honestly.

Theon and Jeyne would die, that is if Theon was fast enough with the knife to slit their throats, otherwise Ramsay would really go to town on them.

But other then that not much change. Bolton legitimacy would be lower, but it was already so low it hardly matters, and Stannis would do exactly the same as before. The only difference might be in Jon's totally subtle involvement.

1 hour ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Theon and Jeyne would die, that is if Theon was fast enough with the knife to slit their throats, otherwise Ramsay would really go to town on them.

But other then that not much change. Bolton legitimacy would be lower, but it was already so low it hardly matters, and Stannis would do exactly the same as before. The only difference might be in Jon's totally subtle involvement.

I assume you mean that Jon wouldn’t stick his neck out for Jeyne the way he did for Arya. And sorry, but if Jon doesn’t get involved, then a LOT changes. Stannis dies at the Dreadfort, for one. Either in battle or as a prisoner. Sure, Davos still goes to get Rickon, but the Northern lords would have to rally on their own around a little boy who is not fit to do any leading whatsoever. Plus Jon doesn’t push the envelope and cause Bowen Marsh and his cronies to murder Jon, and we don’t even know the consequences of that yet, so we can’t begin to theorize on how that would change. 

8 hours ago, laningx3 said:

5 hours ago, SeanF said:

You’ve answered your own question.

Sean is right.  Theon was into self-preservation.  There is something else too.  Theon's spirit was largely broken.  I was really surprised when he later found the will to help Jeyne and himself. 

I'm not certain that Ramsay knows it's a lie already but it's likely that he does.  Roose knows, Barbrey knows.  Roose is colder than all of us so I don't think that Theon or Jeyne would even be hurt if Theon told the truth (which would make it obvious that Theon was right), but the person or people he told would be done away with.  People he told would deduce this and wouldn't be able to deny and disavow Theon's calumny fast enough despite what they may have suspected themselves.  Ultimately I believe the wedding would have happened the same way, perhaps with a few less witnesses. If Theon had spoken up, smart people with self interest would have stuck their fingers in their ears.

11 hours ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

The reason Roose is even pretending that Jeyne is Arya is because the lie gives him legitimacy. If he looses that legitimacy, then the Stark loyalists have no reason to accept Bolton rule. The lie itself barely works to keep houses like the Umbers in check for now. If Jeyne's true identity was revealed, the entire house of cards would collapse and Bolton rule in the North would be resisted by the majority of people who hate the Boltons.

1 hour ago, Nathan Stark said:

The reason Roose is even pretending that Jeyne is Arya is because the lie gives him legitimacy. If he looses that legitimacy, then the Stark loyalists have no reason to accept Bolton rule. The lie itself barely works to keep houses like the Umbers in check for now. If Jeyne's true identity was revealed, the entire house of cards would collapse and Bolton rule in the North would be resisted by the majority of people who hate the Boltons.

The only houses supporting them right now are the ones with an anti Stark vendetta and the ones they have leverage on (either through hostages or through proximity). Those would still support the Boltons with or without fArya.

The Umbers for example would still at least partially support him given that the Greatjon is a hostage at the Twins

1 hour ago, Nathan Stark said:

I don't think it is legitimacy that is important here.  Arya is the Boltons' hostage.  That is more of a factor for the Northern Lords than any fig leaf of legitimacy.  They cannot defy the Boltons as long as they fear harm coming to Arya.

Obviously any knowledge that she is fake would mean that their hand is no longer stayed.  Similarly, her escape also eliminates any threat to her, which is why Ramsay is so desperate to get her back.  The Northerners are likely to unload on him with Arya out of the picture.

Obviously, the strong possibility of a slow and painful death is what kept Theon from talking.  I expect Ramsay would have held back on a quick death to enjoy their pain.:(

Archived