Covid-19 #22: What Were You Doing This Time Last Year?

Fragile Bird

First title choice was “Happy Anniversary?“ A year ago a doctor in China was doing videos about a mysterious respiratory illness in Wuhan. He died not long afterwards. Chinese authorities were not pleased about his messages and interviews. It was scary to see him.

I was fighting a horrible cold for weeks, with this nasty dry cough. Just after New Year’s I saw my doctor, who didn’t know what it was but he said I didn’t have pneumonia. Some kind of virus. He gave me a prescription for cough medicine with codeine in it so I could get some sleep, the cough was that bad. That weekend I was sicker than I had been in decades, unable to eat, lost my sense of taste, and even fainted once, for the first time in my life. I still wonder about that.

eta: Dr. Li Wenliang was an ophthalmologist who started contacting his medical school classmates on Dec. 30, 2019 to warn them about a SARS-like virus spreading in his province. He was detained by Chinese authorities on Jan. 1 for doing so. He contracted the virus and died Feb. 6. He was 34 years old.

For Covid-19 Vaccines, Some Are Too Rich — and Too Poor

Good article speaking to how global inequality is going to impact vaccine distribution using South Africa as an example. Really concerning for us considering how hard the country has been hit and we are quite likely to experience a third (and possibly fourth) wave before the country can secure an adequate supply of vaccines.

I see reports are now coming out about nurses who have tested positive for Covid-19 a week after their vaccination. What crappy timing for them. It will be interesting to see in real time if the vaccine makes their symptoms less severe, or not.

And a recipient of the vaccine in Switzerland has died. No details yet in the stories.

On 12/28/2020 at 11:47 PM, ummester said:

Hehe - as a kind of long time member of this forum i have to weigh in on Covid - be free :)

I've done official govvy courses for work and I can promise this - its not scary enough to lock down the global economy for. We have to protect elderly and co-morbid, for sure. Beyond that the response is entirely political and economic.

Funny sociological thing, I'm dating like 3 women ATM - have lost a shitload of weight - and all of my GFs agree to resist Clovid restrictions. Surprisingly, its the men in my life that are afraid of this over hyped version of SARS 1.

Meh. I'm sill having fun, just cant travel internationally which pisses me off (though some applications are close to being granted)  - my point is don't let this BS scare you into living differently.  There is a disease out there - that is very similar to SARS 1 - beyond that simple truth, don't trust any of the media and political BS ATM.

Current cure way worse than disease - FREEDOM!

It's not about being 'afraid' for yourself - community spread is a real thing, and in a virus that spreads without symptoms for a time you could literally be killing people without knowing it.  Additionally, by following restrictions you're preventing hospitals from being overwhelmed, of they get overwhelmed patients who would normally have good outcomes (aka living) die instead.  

if you think that not sticking your dick in everything that moves for a year is worse than other people dying I don't know what to tell you.

if you think all these excess deaths this year are some kind of media hoax you are a dangerous fucking idiot.

I agree community spread is a real thing - I accept this is a very contagious virus. I'm not some kind of conspiracy theorist who thinks there is no virus - my argument is just that there is a globally coordinated overreaction to it which is more based on economics than medicine.  I'm am 99.99 % confident that all will see this, in the fullness of time.

re sticking my dick in everything - sure, that was a childish call - i'm just trying to say right now is the time to live, not fear. I'm planning to get a yacht and travel the globe with the best of my current options - its about freedom, not chauvinism, or some kind of playground mentality.

There have been excess deaths - i do not disagree - but we are talking in the range of between 66 - 200 % more than  normal flu season. Definitely worth protecting the vulnerable for - not worth locking down the planet for.

I call for reason (and the Western ideal of freedom) above fear.

22 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

For Covid-19 Vaccines, Some Are Too Rich — and Too Poor

Good article speaking to how global inequality is going to impact vaccine distribution using South Africa as an example. Really concerning for us considering how hard the country has been hit and we are quite likely to experience a third (and possibly fourth) wave before the country can secure an adequate supply of vaccines.

I’ve repeatedly cited Brazil and Argentina, who rank 3rd and 12th in the world respectively for reported cases. There’s absolutely no way they are counting cases from the slums, so their numbers have to be worse. The revised counts years from now will show how COVID was far more devastating in the developing world than we can comprehend today.

51 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

And a recipient of the vaccine in Switzerland has died. No details yet in the stories.

There are rumours that the nurse that collapsed on TV, shortly after receiving the vaccine, has died.

Unsubstantiated rumours, I should add, but there are plenty of 'news' stories saying she's popped her clogs. There are also plenty of news stories saying that she has not. Her social media accounts have all apparently been inactive since the incident.

There are screengrabs doing the rounds of her death record, issued by De Kalb County. The familial details on this record match with Dover's facebook. 

Also, on 22 December, the hospital she works at released a photo allegedly showing the nurse safe and well. Only thing is, it looks like they've used a lookalike.

A year ago I was finishing up a round of meds after contracting a rather awful bacterial infection in Mexico City just before Christmas. So awful we had to cut our trip short and miss a day trip to Teotihuacan to climb some pyramids. 

That was our last trip anywhere. Makes me even sadder now.

Should not vaccines be at the request of the country traveled to, rather than some corporately or globally mandated event?

I have traveled a lot and have no qualms complying with an individual nations rules of entry - fucked if I will accept any kind of bureaucratic global governance to my travel plans though.

23 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

We should all anticipate stories of people getting ill and dying after the vaccine, because people do get ill and die in real life. Unfortunately these stories will just fuel anti vaccine idiots and help them build their conspiracy theories. For the most part we should ignore it.

Yes, I agree. But what doesn't help is shady stuff like this. If she is dead, then be up front about the cause of death. Because if you're not, it's only fuel for the conspiracy theorists. I'd never heard of this person until last night. And having done my research, it would appear there is more than just smoke here.

I mean, look it up. Her name is/was Tiffany Dover.

The official story is that she has a condition that causes her to faint when subject to pain. Great, I'd easily buy that.

But where the hecc is she now? She was vaccinated on the 10th of December. I imagine if she was alive, then she'd have been wheeled out before the media to disprove the rumours, no?

2 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

When the earliest vaccine recipients are in their 90’s or with serious pre-existing conditions, we can expect scare stories when a fairly significant number of them die or take ill in the near future.

Tiffany Dover is/was 30 years old.

14 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Tiffany Dover is/was 30 years old.

Is there confirmation she even died? Lots of conflicting information.

Edit: and by conflicting, it seems to be crazies on twitter claiming she’s dead, stalking the shit out of her, her family and colleagues. Poor woman is probably lying low somewhere

This is exactly the sort of Q BS that happens. Next we'll learn she's been chained in the basement of Comet Ping Pong.

She owes no one her time or face out in social media and the press simply because some people are dumb/malicious/dumb and malicious and spreading misinformation. 

Hands up frequent social media users who didn't post anything, at all, since 10 December.

I mean, if I had just collapsed on live TV, I'd be taking to the internet to assure my friends and family I was ok.

This entire story is very fishy, and it's all very well calling it BS, but have you looked into this at all? 

1 minute ago, Spockydog said:

Hands up frequent social media users who didn't post anything, at all, since 10 December.

I mean, if I had just collapsed on live TV, I'd be taking to the internet to assure my friends and family I was ok.

I would deactivate or delete all social media accounts asap if my name became known to the puplic. 

I would text my friends/family directly...

3 minutes ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

I would deactivate or delete all social media accounts asap if my name became known to the puplic. 

I would text my friends/family directly...

Um, okay.

But do you not think it is germane to the entire vaccination effort to show the public that this woman is not dead?

Because if I was in charge, that is exactly what I would be doing. As soon as fucking possible.

Archived