Covid-19 #22: What Were You Doing This Time Last Year?

Fragile Bird

Her parents, o her parents.  On my sil's side the men in her family have been doctors for several generations back.  My sil was the first of 'the women' to follow in those footsteps.  She was so proud that her daughter was doing the same.  There can be no words to express what they are going through.  Especially as she got it of course working with the infected assholes who wouldn't wear masks because of their libbrty.

I'm stunned.  How can I be stunned?

Thank you all for your sympathies on behalf of her immediate family, who just ... can't ... anything ... right now.  And they've been working themselves so hard all along to keep the family business running so all their employees (retired, bil and sil have a SW art gallery that caters to the quite rich) could keep getting paid.  Just had an email from them saying their third covid test again came up negative.

Dear mother who turns 80 in a few weeks has lost her best friend a 80+ yrs and friend of the family for my entire life. Her passing was from a fall and head injury, not covid.

However due to covid we will not be able to have a proper funeral or paying last respects, also no 80th bday celebration for mother possible in person. Thanks plague.

41 minutes ago, Zorral said:

She was so proud that her daughter was doing the same.  There can be no words to express what they are going through.  Especially as she got it of course working with the infected assholes who wouldn't wear masks because of their libbrty.

Oh no, that's just too horrible. Being careful to avoid my usual swear words in such situations, I'm sorry, you have my condolences.

Again, thank you -- for them.

Just the most brief  of conversations just now.  "We are heartbroken. We cannot talk."

It's like this for hundreds and hundreds of thousands of people today.  Nearly two million deaths. Even though we know this, we also know we canno know what a horrible hole it is, unless it's the hole opens in our own families and hearts.

And then, the millions and millions of sick, with lordessa knows what long term symptoms.

And they, and she -- they'd been super careful, always knowing what it was.  And of course we cannot fly there, nor would they allow it.

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I just watched videos of an anti masker at a UPS store and a gang of anti maskers trying to storm a grocery store. I'm so pissed off right now I can barely breathe.

The sense of entitlement is breathtaking. Entitlement to the point they feel it's their right to endanger others, the modern Republican attitude.

@Fury Resurrected

The current mRNA vaccines use a protein on the spiky part of COVID that it uses to get into your cells. This is a good thing because if this part were to mutate, it would likely mean a new strain with that mutation would not spread as quickly. If it mutated elsewhere, the vaccines would remain as effective.

Ha, yeah my dad's a physiologist and this already gives me flashbacks to last week's Christmas zoom session.  As the 5 of us nodded along pretending to understand while our eyes glazed over, he detailed the virtues of RNA vaccines - from cheaper and faster production to less tendency towards side effects to, I believe, what you're saying here (my eyes may or may not have fully glazed over at that point).

Incidentally, my dad did get the vaccine a week ago today (the 23rd).  He was surprised they offered it, but got the email on Monday and was able to immediately schedule an appointment for Wednesday.  Not sure I buy an oral biology researcher is an "essential worker," but he's been back on a heart monitor recently so I'll take it (something I barely know about since he doesn't want us to know so it's just coming from my mom literally whispering it to us).

I just saw on the news that in Florida, one hospital with vaccine said they would vaccinate nurses and doctors on a first-come, first-serve, basis, so people lined up for hours only to find out they didn’t have enough vaccine to go round.

And another hospital in Brevard County announced they would vaccinate people over 65, by appointment. 30,000 people called in and crashed their phone system. They are now booked until February, but only 5,000 appointments.

5 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I just saw on the news that in Florida, one hospital with vaccine said they would vaccinate nurses and doctors on a first-come, first-serve, basis, so people lined up for hours only to find out they didn’t have enough vaccine to go round.

And another hospital in Brevard County announced they would vaccinate people over 65, by appointment. 30,000 people called in and crashed their phone system. They are now booked until February, but only 5,000 appointments.

It's a clusterfuck. Seems like there's little coordination between the feds and the states and on top of that, the feds are flat out lying about their capacity to get doses to the states. 

And now we have this:

Archived