Covid-19 #22: What Were You Doing This Time Last Year?

Fragile Bird

Case count doubled after three weeks of 700-2000 daily new cases. This is likely the first day of the post Christmas and new year surge and hopefully will quite down in another week. Also hope that current restrictions will stay in place for another month, after all it’s thanks to these restrictions that we went down from 6000 cases a day to 800ish cases a day by mid-late December. 

and I would like to see several hundred thousand people vaccinated before we return to workplaces and all. 

The 5G conspiracy nuts are crawling out of the woodwork in South Africa. An ANC councillor in KwaZulu Natal made a voice note saying that 5G towers are spreading the disease and new towers were recently installed which is the cause of the second wave in the country. This resulted in the burning of several towers in the province. The spreading of Covid-19 misinformation is a criminal offence in the country but the law doesn't apply to members of the ruling party since the idiot councillor just got a warning.

Oh for fuck's sake, I just got the mails confirming my fears for the schedule for next week. Right now I'm homeschooling all my students and doing my lessons as well as giving every student an individual feedback, which means I'm pretty much having a 12-hour workday which, for my usual insane schedule is actually pretty refreshing of a change...

... and now we are supposed to have half of every class in their final year in the school while the other half is being homeschooled. Meaning I have my entire current workload + one or two lessons a day in school + loosing more than two hours a day in the train.

I feel like killing myself now...

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

The 5G conspiracy nuts are crawling out of the woodwork in South Africa. An ANC councillor in KwaZulu Natal made a voice note saying that 5G towers are spreading the disease and new towers were recently installed which is the cause of the second wave in the country. This resulted in the burning of several towers in the province. The spreading of Covid-19 misinformation is a criminal offence in the country but the law doesn't apply to members of the ruling party since the idiot councillor just got a warning.

Yeah there's definitely been an uptick in batshittery in Aus as well. It's also been coupled with a carbon copy of QAnon stuff which is already so far beyond sense in the US but utterly laughable here. I saw someone going on about tunnels between a hospital in Melbourne, the boys bathroom in a high school in Northern Sydney and a pizza place in Adelaide. Like, tunnels to give you a quick short cut on your....5000km journey in tunnels that would be very easy to construct.

I just found out my cousin, who is a nurse, is going to refuse to have the vaccine. Jesus Christ.:bang:

It's not worth getting into an argument about it but I genuinely think she should lose her job over that. You can't have healthcare workers refusing to be vaccinated and continuing to be exposed to vulnerable patients and their coworkers.

45 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I just found out my cousin, who is a nurse, is going to refuse to have the vaccine. Jesus Christ.:bang:

It's not worth getting into an argument about it but I genuinely think she should lose her job over that. You can't have healthcare workers refusing to be vaccinated and continuing to be exposed to vulnerable patients and their coworkers.

I agree EXCEPT we need every single trained medical professional right now.  Every single one.  I think you all do too?  But yeah, she should get the jab.

1 hour ago, ljkeane said:

I assume there is some kind of code of ethics/standards of practice for nurses which includes acting in the best interests of patients. I feel like if that is the case it would be reasonable to bring disciplinary action for non-compliance, surely?

edit: i found this https://www.nmc.org.uk/globalassets/sitedocuments/nmc-publications/nmc-code.pdf and there seems to be plenty in there which she is acting against by not getting vaccinated

6 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

....and the fact that if they choose not to get one, it opens up to the next tranche of folks. 

Georgia is doing age 65+ in some areas.

But, yeah, health care workers should be required to take the shot in a 6 month time frame, unless significant extenuating circumstances (such as pregnancy) result in a further extension.

It’s an odd double-bind, in that companies can require the employees be vaccinated to work, but also potentially may lose a significant # of staff at a very critical time when staff shortages will result in deaths, and there isn’t a pool of people to swap in for those who won’t vaccinate immediately.  

Our employee flu vaccinations rate normally hovers around 75-80%...time will tell if there is more or less individual motivation to get the COVID shots.

As long as the pandemic rages, it is indeed too risky to act harshly on that. But as soon as it is over, I expect every single sensible country to enact necessary (and free) flu and covid shots for every single health care worker - it should basically be part of the job. Those who refuse shouldn't even consider studying medicine / nurse school / whatever and go study something else. Something as basic as that should indeed be considered a firing offense in any normal hospital.

Good news in uk about 2 new drugs that can reduce fatalities by 1/4. Cant link but google should do the rest. 

Two more life-saving drugs have been found that can cut deaths by a quarter in patients who are sickest with Covid.

The anti-inflammatory medications, given via a drip, save an extra life for every 12 treated, say researchers who have carried out a trial in NHS intensive care units.

Supplies are already available across the UK so they can be used immediately to save hundreds of lives, say experts.

There are over 30,000 Covid patients in UK hospitals - 39% more than in April.

The UK government is working closely with the manufacturer, to ensure the drugs - tocilizumab and sarilumab - continue to be available to UK patients

46 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

I agree EXCEPT we need every single trained medical professional right now.  Every single one.  I think you all do too?  But yeah, she should get the jab.

Yeah, fair point.

25 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I assume there is some kind of code of ethics/standards of practice for nurses which includes acting in the best interests of patients. I feel like if that is the case it would be reasonable to bring disciplinary action for non-compliance, surely?

edit: i found this https://www.nmc.org.uk/globalassets/sitedocuments/nmc-publications/nmc-code.pdf and there seems to be plenty in there which she is acting against by not getting vaccinated

I don't think she's actually got to the stage of being offered a vaccine and refusing it yet. She's just talking about it. What they'll do about if she does I don't know.

Honestly, I think she'd probably fold pretty quickly if they turned around and said 'ok, then you can't be a nurse anymore' but it's very annoying to hear someone in her position talking like that.

15 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Good news in uk about 2 new drugs that can reduce fatalities by 1/4. Cant link but google should do the rest. 

A doctor says "treat 12 patients and you will save 1 life, a very good outcome". I don't know if that means the other 11 die. The 2 drugs suppress the over-reaction of the immune system that is a factor in killing people. The only drawback is that the drugs are very expensive, 750 to 1,000 pounds each, as opposed to dexamethasone which costs 5. But it's still half the cost of a day in the ICU, at 2,000.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/07/covid-arthritis-drugs-could-help-save-lives-of-seriously-ill--patients-research-finds

Ninja'd!

3 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Yeah, fair point.

I don't think she's actually got to the stage of being offered a vaccine and refusing it yet. She's just talking about it. What they'll do about if she does I don't know.

Honestly, I think she'd probably fold pretty quickly if they turned around and said 'ok, then you can't be a nurse anymore' but it's very annoying to hear someone in her position talking like that.

There are lots of legitimate reasons to refuse vaccination. Even for nurses. People do have extreme reactions to vaccines. My brother almost died and spent 6 months in hospital after getting the polio vaccine in the 60s. Almost 60 years later he is still feeling the effects.

Defining who is a healthcare worker who can be mandated to be vaccinated is also a slippery slope. Do MDs get put on the list for mandatory vaccination? How about the cleaners who spend even more time in and around patients than nurses do?

If you put too many onerous conditions on nurses, you run the risk of not having nurses when you need them.

7 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

A doctor says "treat 12 patients and you will save 1 life, a very good outcome". I don't know if that means the other 11 die.

Further down the article mentions how many died with and without the drug:

While hospital mortality stood at 35.8% (142/397) for patients given standard care, it was 28.0% (98/350) for tocilizumab and 22.2% (10/45) for sarilumab.

Archived