Covid-19 #22: What Were You Doing This Time Last Year?

Fragile Bird

6 hours ago, Zorral said:

Vaccinations are ramping up here in NYC.  Vaccination hubs are established in the Bronx, Queens and Brooklyn, but for some reason not in Manhattan.  The qualified to get appointments have been expanded too. They started taking appointments late last night, early this morning, and are up and running now, I believe.

This is true. I have an appointment for the first shot on Wednesday in Brooklyn this week. One of the pages in the appointment website asks you to answer Yes/No about whether you belong to a list of groups to see if you qualify (I'm a high school teacher, so am in one of those gropus, which include healthcare workers, EMTs, people age 75+, etc.), though it does feel a little like it's running on the honor system. My school made verification of employent letters available to all faculty today, so I'll be bringing that along. 

And I'm pretty sure the Javits Center is now open as a mass vaccination hub, so Manhattan has at least one spot.

3 minutes ago, Mr. X said:

And I'm pretty sure the Javits Center is now open as a mass vaccination hub, so Manhattan has at least one spot.

Since I first learned about the hubs -- Worth Street has one too, and there are some others, or there are going to be others open in Manhattan, but I'm not sure when.  The more the better!

6 minutes ago, Mr. X said:

This is true. I have an appointment for the first shot on Wednesday in Brooklyn this week. One of the pages in the appointment website asks you to answer Yes/No about whether you belong to a list of groups to see if you qualify (I'm a high school teacher, so am in one of those gropus, which include healthcare workers, EMTs, people age 75+, etc.), though it does feel a little like it's running on the honor system. My school made verification of employent letters available to all faculty today, so I'll be bringing that along. 

I am SO HAPPY for you!  Yay!!!!!!!  I feel like we should be throwing little Jab Parties for each person who gets their shot.  

1 minute ago, Zorral said:

Since I first learned about the hubs -- Worth Street has one too, and there are some others, or there are going to be others open in Manhattan, but I'm not sure when.  The more the better!

This is GREAT news.  I know it is going to continue to be messy and less than perfectly efficient, and the wait will seem brutally long, but it finally feels like there might be a ... plan?  Or maybe I’ve just stress-eaten too much chocolate and its the endorphins talking?

3 hours ago, Heartofice said:

They're so bad they can't plan anything, they're just barely able to manage things when all is rosy. This is what's wrong with European leaders - granted, same applies to American ones.

That said, Moderna not having much production capacity inside EU isn't the whole picture; they have some sizable factory in Switzerland, and they're definitely going to produce far more vaccines than necessary for one tiny country, specially one which is as slow as the rest of Europe to get its vaccination plan going. So at least EU doesn't face the risk that a US administration would confiscate all vaccines until the whole US population has been vaccinated.

So happy for all of you getting the vaccine but so jealous too!  My poor 80 year old parents probably won't be able to get the vaccine for another month or two based on the last update.  And even then I am not too confident they will be able to get it very quickly.  Apparently in Chicago - because Chicago will be separate from however it is handled in the rest of the state - we will have to get it through our doctor's office, they aren't planning vaccination sites.  I was at my doctor's office - which is part of a major medical center - today for something else and they have no clue about this.  So much potential for this to be a disaster.  Of course these plans could all change tomorrow.

At this rate I am not planning on going anywhere this year.  If I could actually see some friends in person or go into a restaurant in the fall/winter, that would be nice.  But not planning on getting on a plane and certainly would not go to a convention or a theater with a large amount of people inside a windowless rooms this year.  Not until a very large number of people have been vaccinated.

(I dont remember if I posted something like this already in this thread, but just like the days my posts run together in my mind)

Michigan has Phase 1 and Phase 2 (latter being general population), and Phase 1 itself is divided into A, B and C. Only time my diabeetus has helped is putting me in Phase 1C rather than Phase 2. That still means end of April, so its not a real advantage. Phase 2 doesnt even have a well defined start date.

Scheduled for my first jab on Jan 23rd - working volunteer shifts at our clinics apparently bumped me up the list. Father in law, maintenance supe at a memory care facility, got his first last week, along with 100+ residents and 95% of his staff - after his second shot, we might have the first babysitting in 10+ months!

6 hours ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

If anecdotes make her feel better, my kids have been in-person 5 days a week since August.  There has been no transmission in the schools and very few cases.  As best we can tell both schools are doing a great job with distancing protocols and they also have testing protocols (testing everyone on the way in and then random thereafter - would be better if it was 2x per week, but there’s a budgetary limit and so far it has worked).  From talking to folks, my understanding is that it works best if there is community buy-in to all of the guidelines and restrictions.  That is, you are trusting the other people in the school community not to be a dumba$$.  Both schools have strong communities.....

Thanks for sharing.  His school has done really well to avoid any transmission within the school since they re-opened in September.  But my wife is in full amygdala-override about COVID.

Archived