F you 2020!

Martell Spy

2021 is going to be bad, but it's (probably) going to have the reverse trajectory of 2020.  This year, everything has gotten worse and worse, whereas the worst of 2021 will be the first few months, and then there's reason to hope that things will gradually improve (at least in the short/medium term). 

I refuse to see 2020 as a lost year, an aberration or a blip.  So here are the things I like about my new normal, and here are the things that I hope 2021 will bring (though it will probably be 2022).

1. My garden was gorgeous.  I spent a lot of time thinking about veg and flowers and it was worth the long slow pay off.  Thanks nature for being awesome!

2.  I'm in great shape.  WFH means that I reliably work out at least 5 days a week.  I don't have work events, so, although we do order in a fair bit, including from favorite restaurants, my diet is a LOT healthier (especially for lunch).  Also, I gave up alcohol for Lent 2020 and I never took it back up.  I was never a heavy drinker, but I think that the pandemic has converted me into a teetotaler.

3.  I discovered Effin' Birds.  Every day there is an appropriate message that describes my life.  I feel SEEN.

4.  I am less of an extrovert than I though I was, and I know who my friends are a bit better.  Honestly, most people can just go hang.  I mean, I miss human interaction, and I will be glad to go back to a more social life, but I know now where exist the people who think that I am important enough to THEM to either respond to or to reach out to me directly. This is actually invaluable information and I am very grateful for all my friends.

5. I am incredibly grateful  for my health and the health of my family, and that I have the privilege of being able to WFH and still be financially secure.

6.  I enjoy wearing slippers all day.  I have this amazing collection of heels.  Will I ever wear them again?  Thinking maybe no?

7.  My kids are really fun.  Even though I've been working harder than I've worked since, like 2008, I have gotten to spend more time with them.  Also, I have a renewed appreciation for all the things I love about my husband.  This is a blessing.

I hope for 2021 (but maybe more realistically 2022):

1.  I get to see my parents (actually, this is cheating, I know I am seeing them in January because I am going to help a family member with surgery recovery).

2.  Travel!!!!  I want to GO SOMEWHERE.  Preferably Disney or the UK or both.  But I'm open.  I have realistic hopes for a family beach vacation in July, particularly if my older family members have gotten vaccinated by then (I am not that optimistic that I will be vaccinated by then, but one can hope).

3.  LIVE THEATER.  I want to go see a play.  Preferably soonest.  TV ain't the same.

4.  LIVE MUSIC.  I want to go to a small concert in an intimate-ish venue.  Preferably soonest.  I really miss this.  Streaming ain't the same.

5.  A party.  I want to throw a party.  Even a small dinner party.  But dancing would be nice too.  

Fuck 2020. New Year’s Eve 2019 we had to euthanize my 20 year old cat Hugo, who was incredibly special in ways everyone who met him could see (a few boarders who have come over know this, Hugo wasn’t like anyone else). On the 19th this year I had to do the same with Guava, who was 16 1/2 and my favorite being of all time (others didn’t see how great Guavy was because he didn’t really like anyone else, but he was perfect).  

And of course, that’s without taking into account the pandemic, which took my great aunt who was a huge inspiration to me and a wonderful, kind, and brave woman. I haven’t seen my grandmother in a year, I haven’t seen my best friend in a year. Favorite restaurants closed forever, tattoo studios friends worked at closed. 

That’s without including the uprising, where I watched my city PD kill a man over a possible fake $20, and then tear gas nearly all my friends and neighbors, and shoot some of them with rubber bullets. The cops pointed a gun at me in my yard. I saw militias and white supremacists on my block. I stole gas cans from arsonists. I watched as my neighborhood burned. I watched as all the reforms the city council promised to implement to policing dissolved. Today George Floyd’s Murderers walk free while the police shot another black man in Minneapolis last night. There’s still no pharmacy in my neighborhood and just one gas station left. 

Lots of good things happened too, same as any year. But I would happily trade all of that to have even one of the cats back or to have been able to spend my grandmother’s 86 birthday and Christmas with her, or to have a police force that we don’t have to be afraid of.

Aside from an all out civil war (and while I don’t think it’s likely I guess I can’t rule it out), there’s no way 2021 could fail to be better.

First to see the new year. The year wasn't a complete disaster. I think in some places there may be a stronger sense of community than there used to be and hopefully that lasts a while. But lest we forget the lives lost and ruined, some unavoidable, but many unnecessary.

15 hours ago, felice said:

2020 is not going quietly. The final day started with being woken in the early hours by an earthquake that knocked my NHAW hats off the shelf.

Yep. The years getting it’s last licks in over here too.

Cold thunderstorms all day. So much for blowing things up in the backyard tonight. 

2020 is i think the first year where I and a lot of other people saw that the future does not necessarily mean things will be better. That innocence is forever lost. We will have to fight like fucking demons to make it better, knowing a lot of others will be fighting against us every step of the way. 

2020 was the year I managed to get a semi-stable full time job for the first time in my life, which is also a lot better paid than my previous shitty contracts. So that is great. Everything else was ... comparably shitty.

The fireworks weren't too bad here last night though. There was some noise, but is had been much worse years ago.

5 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

The fireworks weren't too bad here last night though. There was some noise, but is had been much worse years ago.

As I said.

The cold and rain stopped me. I’ll be be back to form with loud explosions next year. 

Also the only other 2 people here were my brothers. Why waste good fireworks on them?

I have mixed feelings about 2020. One the one hand, it's been absolutely horrific. On the other, lockdown inspired me to come up with a life-changing invention.

We are currently in to-and-fro negotiations with two global companies over what is shaping up to be a very lucrative licence arrangement.

#BiddingWarForTheWin

Out of everyone I know lockdown has been least bad for me. My wife showing she can do her job from home probably saves us 7 grand a year. Most of our activities that we would do anyway are outdoorsy so me and the wife and our daughter have not been impacted. 

Archived