Favourite cutting remarks

Sigella

I think mine is the exchange between John the Fiddler and lord Alyn Cockshaw in tMK:

"That wretched pimpled creature is no son of Quentyn Ball," insisted Alyn Cockshaw. "He should never have been allowed to compete. If this were my wedding, I should have had him whipped for his presumption."

"What maid would marry you?" Ser John said.

How old was the lad?’ ‘Nine on his last nameday’ ‘So young’ thought Wyman Manderly. ‘Though maybe this was a blessing. Had he lived, he would have grown up to be a Frey

The best 

Who in seven hells is this one?"

"The Lord Commander of the Kingsguard," Jaime returned with cold courtesy. "I might ask the same of you, my lady."

"I'm no lady. I'm the queen."

"My sister will be surprised to hear that."

"Lord Ryman crowned me his very self." She gave a shake of her ample hips. "I'm the queen o' whores."

No, Jaime thought, my sweet sister holds that title too.

Poor Jaime 

There must be some things I could do to help you. It would put to rest all this talk that you and I are rivals for the king."

"Is that what they say?" Cersei smiled. "How foolish. I have never looked upon you as a rival, not even for a moment."

Cersei in Feast is badass 

Blame the gods?" she said, incredulous. "Yours was the hand that threw him. You meant for him to die."

His chains chinked softly. "I seldom fling children from towers to improve their health. Yes, I meant for him to die."

Tsk Tsk Tsk 

There's so many but I'll finish with one last... 

You'll be pleased to know she came to me a maid."

"In your bed she's like to die that way."

Who said Stannis had no humor!? 

STANNIS THE FUCKING MANNIS

Ya Davos.. Ya... 

"An admiral without ships, a hand without fingers, in service to a king without a throne. Is this a knight who comes before us, or the answer to a child's riddle?"

3 hours ago, The Sleeper said:

Somehow, I don't think Stannis is trying to be funny... 

Course he was.... I think

"Do I need to make you swear an oath before a tree?"

"No." Was that a jape? With Stannis, it was hard to tell.

TMK- "The sounds from the well were almost too faint to hear. "Shouldn't we throw His Lordship down a rope?" "Save him now to execute him later? I think not."

ADWD - "Tormund released Jon’s hand. “Your crows will grumble too, if I know them. And I ought to. I have killed more o’ you black buggers than I can count.”

“It might be best if you did not mention that so loudly when you come south of the Wall.”

“Har!” Tormund laughed. That had not changed either; he still laughed easily and often. “Wise words. I’d not want you crows to peck me to death.”"

2 hours ago, Daena the Defiant said:

Asha has some viciously cutting remarks at her Queensmoot.

Yea shes pretty good.

"Lord Captain, have you no greeting for a brother long away? Nor you, Asha? How fares your lady mother?"

"Poorly," Asha said. "Some man made her a widow."

But I like Eurons comebacks more

Crow's Eye," Asha called, "did you leave your wits at Asshai? If we cannot hold the north—and we cannot—how can we win the whole of the Seven Kingdoms?"

"Why, it has been done before. Did Balon teach his girl so little of the ways of war? Victarion, our brother's daughter has never heard of Aegon the Conqueror, it would seem."

3 hours ago, Megorova said:

TMK- "The sounds from the well were almost too faint to hear. "Shouldn't we throw His Lordship down a rope?" "Save him now to execute him later? I think not."

This exchange is also probably the finest hint of M=B. What would a hedge knight know about who’s going to sit in judgment and how they were going to rule <_<<_<

7 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

"An admiral without ships, a hand without fingers, in service to a king without a throne. Is this a knight who comes before us, or the answer to a child's riddle?"

This is great. I had no memory of it.

There is always Sansa's reference to Joffrey:

"I don't want someone brave and gentle, I want him.

4 hours ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

Call me naïve, but what's M=B ?

Maynard Plumm was actually Bloodraven in shadow glamour. Maynard = Bloodraven. His moonstone brooch is a shadow artifact, same as Rattleshirt's/Mance Rayder's ruby bracelet, given to him by Melisandre.

4 hours ago, Sigella said:

This exchange is also probably the finest hint of M=B. What would a hedge knight know about who’s going to sit in judgment and how they were going to rule <_<

For me the finest clue was his brooch, that scene where someone appeared before Dunk from the shadows, and how weird he looked at first, and how that brooch was glowing, same as Mance's bracelet.

After the first read I haven't even realised that Maynard was Bloodraven, silly me was even a bit worried where and why did that guy disappeared, he seemed to be a good guy, helped Dunk and then just disappeared. At first I even thought that he got captured by Bloodraven's people and got executed :lmao:Though, after finishing first read, I started re-reading it again, on the same day, and on the second read, knowing how everything will end, I noticed all those "clues" about both M/B and Fiddler/Daemon. :rolleyes:

Hedge Knight - “I’ll want my palfrey rubbed down. And oats for all three. Can you tend to them?

The boy looked at him brazenly. “I could. If I wanted.

Dunk frowned. “I’ll have none of that. I am a knight, I’ll have you know.”

“You don’t look to be a knight.”

Do all knights look the same?

No, but they don’t look like you, either. Your sword belt’s made of rope.”

“So long as it holds my scabbard, it serves. Now see to my horses. You’ll get a copper if you do well, and a clout in the ear if you don’t.

Sworn Sword -

""Another bath?" Egg said, dismayed. "You washed yesterday."

"And then I spent a day in armor, swimming in my sweat. Close your lips and fill the kettle."

"You washed the night Ser Eustace took us into service," Egg pointed out. "And last night, and now. That's three times , ser."

"I need to treat with a highborn lady. Do you want me to turn up before her high seat smelling like Ser Bennis?"

"You would have to roll in a tub of Maester's droppings to smell as bad as that, ser." "

That took Lord Janos aback. He smiled uncertainly and began to sweat, but Bowen Marsh beside him said, “Who better to command the black cloaks than a man who once commanded the gold, sire?”

“Any of you, I would think. Even the cook.” The look the king gave Slynt was cold

Stannis dry humor at his best.

“Are you sure you want to know?” asked Tyrion. “Joffrey would have been a worse king than Aerys ever was. He stole his father’s dagger and gave it to a footpad to slit the throat of Brandon Stark, did you know that?”

“I . . . I thought he might have.”

“Well, a son takes after his father.

Best insult and call out on Jaime.

“In your bed she’s like to die that way.”

“Oh, I expect I’ll get a son on her within the year. Pray, how many sons do you have, Stannis? Oh, yes—none.” Renly smiled innocently. “As to your daughter, I understand. If my wife looked like yours, I’d send my fool to service her as well.”

“The Iron Throne is mine by rights. All those who deny that are my foes.”

“The whole of the realm denies it, brother,” said Renly. “Old men deny it with their death rattle, and unborn children deny it in their mothers’ wombs. They deny it in Dorne and they deny it on the Wall. No one wants you for their king. Sorry.”

Renly being a savage

“You hold Lady Sybelle Westerling and three of her children. I’ll return your nephew in exchange for them.”

“As you returned Lady Catelyn’s daughters?”

“An old woman and three children for your liege lord. That’s a better bargain than you could have hoped for.”

Ser Brynden smiled a hard smile. “You do not lack for gall, Kingslayer. Bargaining with oathbreakers is like building on quicksand, though. Cat should have known better than to trust the likes of you.”

“The promises I made to Lady Catelyn were wrung from me at swordpoint.”

“And the oath you swore to Aerys?"

"Aerys is no part of this. Will you exchange the Westerlings for Edmure?”

“No. My king entrusted his queen to my keeping, and I swore to keep her safe. I will not hand her over to a Frey noose.”

“The girl has been pardoned. No harm will come to her. You have my word on that.”

“Your word of honor? Do you even know what honor is?”

A horse.

Blackfish combo on Jaime, one after another also deserves a mention, and the joke at the end is a clever one.

Archived