UK politics - Dry Your Eyes Mate, ...

Lykos

6 minutes ago, Raja said:

It's my first xmas here and I was completely caught out by everything shutting down. It's weird to me that shops like Tesco and public transport close down for xmas and new years!

they also shut for Easter Monday.    But the rest of our bankholidays they will be open for just "sunday hours"

Some stores non-food will shut completely over the easter weekend.

New years normally have free public transport home after midnight at least in London.

I really don’t understand Boris at the moment ... the numbers today are largely the same as yesterday, why the fuck did he drag parents and teachers through this ridiculous 24 hours only to announce a lockdown now? It was incredibly obvious last week that this would be happening, but no, he couldn’t possibly have looked decisive for once and got out in front of Starmer and Sturgeon. 

I picked a weird day to start a new job tomorrow...

I’ll repeat what I said about a month back: I’m still worried that restrictions will have absolutely no backing once deaths drop, but under 70’s still won’t have been vaccinated, and Covid will run rife through the country. I know I’m a low risk, but I still massively don’t want this virus. Boris explicitly laid out a timetable that said the restrictions will drop as soon as that happens. I guess I’ll just hope that the rollout continues at pace through the lower age groups, and that the existing vaccines put a dent in the transmission as well as the death rate.

3 minutes ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

I heard lots of If's for the future.

Was surprised they announced this lockdown will be until feb half term which I think is 6 or 7 weeks.   (not that I doubt we need it)  just thought they would announce shorter periods and keep extending.

I'm glad they've just straight out announced it'll be at least that long. Allows me to try and plan how fucked I'm gonna be at least. 

15 minutes ago, lessthanluke said:

I'm glad they've just straight out announced it'll be at least that long. Allows me to try and plan how fucked I'm gonna be at least. 

I think very unfortunately.  but it is good in many ways to know this is gonna be a longer term lockdown and not a series of several too short to do much ones.  I don't personally know but I think that would be harder on small business owners to keep opening and closing for short unpredictable periods.

16 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

I’ll repeat what I said about a month back: I’m still worried that restrictions will have absolutely no backing once deaths drop, but under 70’s still won’t have been vaccinated, and Covid will run rife through the country. I know I’m a low risk, but I still massively don’t want this virus. Boris explicitly laid out a timetable that said the restrictions will drop as soon as that happens. I guess I’ll just hope that the rollout continues at pace through the lower age groups, and that the existing vaccines put a dent in the transmission as well as the death rate.

I really hope we don't rush out and drop all restrictions as soon as the critical people have been vaccinated.  My greatest fear is the vaccinated can still spread it, then we are truely fucked as there are far too many people that won't care and will mix lots once they have had the jab - far too many do now without that protection.  but until everyone or most people have been vaccinated then that is a recipe for disaster. 

4 minutes ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

I think very unfortunately.  but it is good in many ways to know this is gonna be a longer term lockdown and not a series of several too short to do much ones.  I don't personally know but I think that would be harder on small business owners to keep opening and closing for short unpredictable periods.

I really hope we don't rush out and drop all restrictions as soon as the critical people have been vaccinated.  My greatest fear is the vaccinated can still spread it, then we are truely fucked as there are far too many people that won't care and will mix lots once they have had the jab - far too many do now without that protection.  but until everyone or most people have been vaccinated then that is a recipe for disaster. 

It's 100 percent harder not knowing how long it will be. Can't plan, can't advertise things etc. Knowing at least a minimum time frame is a good thing for sure. 

8 minutes ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

If the vulnerable are protected via vaccination, what is the thinking behind not opening up? 

Archived