UK politics - Dry Your Eyes Mate, ...

Lykos

3 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

NHS absence sounds a real problem.

A patient my wife (neuro theatre nurse) attended to on Friday (neg for covid) tested positivr on Saturday, so her and her colleagues who treated him have to isolate for 10 days. That’s 8 nurses, 2 anaesthetists and 2 surgeons removed from one dept by one patient alone. Not including any ward staff who came into contact with him.

Because of this, my wife had to cancel her vaccination for yesterday :(

Surely the medical staff were vaccinated first, so that things like this wouldn't happen? 

13 minutes ago, ants said:

Surely the medical staff were vaccinated first, so that things like this wouldn't happen? 

Nope. Still being rolled out to medical staff. The above is pretty much what has happening all year since the outbreak, with staff having to isolate.

Had he tested positive earlier, they would have worn full protective kit with the better masks.

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I think it's all anyone can cling to at the minute. I'm not sure any lockdown would be well enough observed to generate the results required. Because for 10 months people have been given freedom to ignore the rules due to enforcement being so wishy washy. 

I don't think it's even that (though that's a major problem), it's that the new variant increases the ability of the virus to spread, so in previous conditions where the R rate is below 1, it is now above 1 with the same measures in place. During the first lockdown the R rate is believed to have fallen as low as 0.6, but with the new variant that would be 1.04, just enough to ensure the virus spreads further. If you can get it down to 0.5 by the old standard, that would be just enough to ensure that numbers fall at a very slow rate. But there is scepticism we ever got to 0.5 even during the much more draconian first lockdown.

If you want the numbers to fall dramatically, as we saw in May-July when the R rate did fall to 0.7-0.6 with the standard variant, we'd need to get it down more to around 0.3 by the old standard, which we've never been near at any stage of the pandemic to date. At that point you might as well go for total quarantine and try to stamp out the virus altogether, and that would require such a draconian level of enforcement the government would never consider it.

Front-line medical staff are in the second group of vaccination, behind care home residents and carers (in priority group 1) and everyone over 80 (also in priority group 2, but they seem to be prioritised above medical workers). In some parts of the country they've already vaccinated everyone in group 1 and the over-80s, so medical workers are starting to receive their jabs, but in other parts of the country they've barely started group 1.

My 83-year-old aunt in Essex has already had her vaccination and it sounds like they're moving on to medical workers in the local hospital, but my 86-year-old aunt on the Isle of Wight is still a couple of weeks away from getting her first jab. That said, 1200 medical workers on the isle have been vaccinated already, apparently in defiance of the priority list, so who knows at this stage.

Yeah certainly seems to depend on area. My nanna received her second dose on Saturday, while my "aunty" (really a close family friend but, you know) who is an NHS worker received her first shot Thursday. Meanwhile a friend from uni who lives in Peterborough is an NHS worker and is scheduled to receive hers next week.

Apparently Bozo was photographed cycling in Olympic Park, seven miles from Downing Street. His office is refusing to say whether he was driven there or got there under his own steam. Either way, in the context of some of the punishments handed out to plebs, this looks like a breach of lockdown to me. 

#StayLocalUnlessYouDontReallyWantTo

13 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Apparently Bozo was photographed cycling in Olympic Park, seven miles from Downing Street. His office is refusing to say whether he was driven there or got there under his own steam. Either way, in the context of some of the punishments handed out to plebs, this looks like a breach of lockdown to me. 

#StayLocalUnlessYouDontReallyWantTo

... must resist...

Anyway the UK has vaccinated over 2 million people, which honestly is bloody impressive. Compared to dismal test and trace, vaccinations appear to be a massive success, probably because we already had the infrastructure to do vaccinations. Let’s hope this continues 

13 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

... must resist...

Anyway the UK has vaccinated over 2 million people, which honestly is bloody impressive. Compared to dismal test and trace, vaccinations appear to be a massive success, probably because we already had the infrastructure to do vaccinations. Let’s hope this continues 

might also have something to do with the NHS doing the vaccinations unlike the (not)NHS track n trace.

also yes having experiance of vaccintating people helps

They are planning to get everyone over 70 done by mid feb which is also ambitious but great news if true. 

I think real answers need to be found about the real inability to protect the vulnerable during all this though, with stories of more infections in care homes the mind boggles at how that could still be happening 

While the rate of vaccination so far is encouraging, people are now getting only one jab out of the two needed. I only hope that the organisation holds together long enough to then give those people their second jab, and to give everyone the same vaccine as they got for their first one.

18 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/France-approves-three-year-use-of-controversial-pesticide-neonicotinoids

Remember certain people saying that just because we had left the EU, Macron’s government would not seek to remove any regulations designed to protect the people and the planet? 

These F***ing people. 

Give it a rest. I would perhaps normally rise to this, but my dog died today and I can't really bring myself to care about anything you have to say. 

10 hours ago, ants said:

I wonder whether vaccination would have solved this particular problem. Since we're not expecting the vaccinations to be 100% maybe they'd still have to isolate? Of course, it's still good to vaccinate medical staff as a priority to protect their health.

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

It seems from the news coverage there were many new vaccination centres opening today as well which should increase the rate, I guess we'll found out tomorrow how many that adds. It is a nice change to have the UK be leading most of the world in a pandemic statistic that's actually good - Israel, Bahrain and the UAE seem to be the only countries with a greater percentage vaccinated.

6 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

2.3 million people vaccinated. Who i assume in the main must be the most vulnerable. This combined with the new drugs that reduce fatalities by 1/4 should start having an impact Soonish right? 

You'd hope, but the new variant might be negating some of that advantage (since it's infecting people who wouldn't have been infected had the old variant remained dominant). The new drugs are also effective if they can get them to people in hospitals, which isn't going to be possible if they're stuck in an ambulance outside the doors, or if they haven't got enough staff to administer the virus.

One interesting bit of news today is that deaths are down by well over half what they were at the end of last week, to 529. It's way too soon for the new lockdown or vaccinations to have had any impact, so it might just be a one-off oddity or a problem with reporting figures, but it'll be interesting to keep an eye on the figures over the next few days to see what happens. Everyone has been expecting steady rises to well past 1,500, so appears to be good news, if we don't know how it's happened.

I hope we're in a better place by March, because at the moment it's hard to see the light in the middle of what has been a very tough winter.

Happy I'm vaccinated and vulnerable people are getting vaccinated though. But cases/ hospitalizations are at such a high number right and have been for the last few weeks, the NHS staff is stretched and it is going to be a long few months, even under the most optimistic scenarios.

6 hours ago, Werthead said:

One interesting bit of news today is that deaths are down by well over half what they were at the end of last week, to 529. 

The Sunday figures reported on Monday are always lower than other days. That's still ~25% higher (+103) than last week.

Archived