UK politics - Dry Your Eyes Mate, ...

Lykos

7 minutes ago, Liffguard said:

For all their talk of avoiding waste of taxpayer money, conservatives will consistently spend more to avoid even the tiniest possibility that someone somewhere might get more than they ostensibly "deserve." Even when it's cheaper and more effective to just hand things out no questions asked.

People should just be getting cash. Not even vouchers. Cash.

100% agreed on both counts. That first part seems to be one of the primary motivating factors amongst conservatives in the anglosphere at least.

It's very similar to the "no one under any circumstances can get high, whether by design or by happenstance in the process of taking medication for a purely medical reason" that's driven a lot of bad drug laws and continues to do so.

4 minutes ago, karaddin said:

It's very similar to the "no one under any circumstances can get high, whether by design or by happenstance in the process of taking medication for a purely medical reason" that's driven a lot of bad drug laws and continues to do so.

I wonder how many of our politicians continue to hoover vast amounts of gak up their schnozzles. You can bet that the hypocrisy is real.

47 minutes ago, Raja said:

So I'm just reading the wikipedia entry for this dude and wowzers :wideeyed:

As awful as Grayling is, he's being run close by Robert Jenrick. This one doesn't even try to hide his incompetence and corruption.

Entertaining quiz on the current UK pandemic lockdown rules on the BBC (notoriously vague and frequently changed):

Britain's top police officer, Dame Cressida Dick, says it's "preposterous" to suggest some people are not aware of what the lockdown laws now tell them to do. So how much do you know?

My score: 3 out of 7

Mrs W managed 4 out of 7 and she is a medical expert. :dunno:

6 out of seven and I don't even live in the UK. The only wrong one was the where can you exercise question. Still it's not worth a lot, because some of the "right" answers tell you nothing about what you can or can't do.

2 minutes ago, kiko said:

6 out of seven and I don't even live in the UK. The only wrong one was the where can you exercise question. Still it's not worth a lot, because some of the "right" answers tell you nothing about what you can or can't do.

I suspect that you have the unfair advantage of not having heard the explanations of the current lockdown rules by various members of our government. :)

Though I am impressed by you correctly picking

Spoiler

at least one of the "perhaps" answers.

1 minute ago, A wilding said:

I suspect that you have the unfair advantage of not having heard the explanations of the current lockdown rules by various members of our government. :)

Hide contents

at least one of the "perhaps" answers.

the one with explanation it's not  against the law but .... legal responsibility

I say I got that one right, but you are a dick if you don't follow that guidance. 

13 minutes ago, A wilding said:

I used common sense 

Spoiler

and then tapped on the opposite answer. :rolleyes:

I got 6 but only because I’ve been reading with incredulity the past two days about how you can legally go wherever you want to exercise in England, with the proviso that the police can fine you if they consider it unreasonable. You can then get the fine revoked by making a fuss in the press. And of course the “guidance” is that you should stay local. Wow, what a great system.

And the whole 

Spoiler

Who’s breaking the law? The SUPERMARKET is!

is the kind of tricksy question they always put in these bbc quizzes.

9 hours ago, Liffguard said:

For all their talk of avoiding waste of taxpayer money, conservatives will consistently spend more to avoid even the tiniest possibility that someone somewhere might get more than they ostensibly "deserve." Even when it's cheaper and more effective to just hand things out no questions asked.

Actually, there are studies that show this is a key facet of conservative versus progressive world views.  So as much as I hate it, and think its inefficient rubbish, when they're doing this they are actually aligning with their base.  

Archived