UK politics - Dry Your Eyes Mate, ...

Lykos

1 hour ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

Well she only voted for a £40k hit not and £50k

https://www.facebook.com/idiotseverywhereuk/photos/a.108379957178840/433713017978864/

But at least she voted for her Grandchildren.

Whenever someone posts a link to Facebook, all it ever does for me is open my Facebook page. :bawl:

1 minute ago, Fragile Bird said:

Whenever someone posts a link to Facebook, all it ever does for me is open my Facebook page. :bawl:

sorry,  its basically linked to 2 stories in the express,  the same lady in the first one saying "I voted for my grandchildren, Business woman says £40k Brexit hit is worth it"  in the next she's complaining the delay in getting her shellfish costing £50k has been delayed by 30 hours....

2 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Brexit currently fucking the Scottish seafood industry.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-55661274

Quelle Surprise!

But are the fish happy they are Scottish?

Will also post in the COVID thread but the Supreme Court today ruled in that insurers will need to pay out for COVID losses:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-55661702

18 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Will also post in the COVID thread but the Supreme Court today ruled in that insurers will need to pay out for COVID losses:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-55661702

Was listening to some mealy mouthed crap from some kind of Insurance Association spokesman. Apologising to all the business owners they tried to fuck over. They really are the worst.

6 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

The Tory candidate is like some appalling, fucked up performance art. Dreadful waste of carbon. 

According to his wiki he is the perfect modern Tory. A bit thick (2.2) and a bit corrupt (mis-using charitable funds). 

13 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

According to his wiki he is the perfect modern Tory. A bit thick (2.2) and a bit corrupt (mis-using charitable funds). 

Initially I was like ‘what’s wrong with Shaun Bailey?!’ But yeah a quick google and for once I think I agree with Spocky on this.

9 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

It's like they decided they needed a BAME candidate to have any chance of dislodging Khan, but second on their list of priorities was they had to be even more racist than Michael Gove. 

1 hour ago, Raja said:

I wish we had a different word than 'BAME', I think it erases a lot of the differences between minorities in the UK.

I did dither somewhat over which term to use. For a fiftyish-year-old white man who generally tries to keep up with this sort of thing, it can be a bit of a minefield.

I mean, BAME is the term I mostly see used by actual human beings whom I respect. But what's an old white bloke to do?

11 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

I did dither somewhat over which term to use. For a fiftyish-year-old white man who generally tries to keep up with this sort of thing, it can be a bit of a minefield

Nah, it's all good :)

I recognize that it's widely used here in the UK, so I don't really mind when people use it, especially when the intention is harmless.

1 hour ago, Raja said:

Nah, it's all good :)

I recognize that it's widely used here in the UK, so I don't really mind when people use it, especially when the intention is harmless.

A quick web search tells me we really should avoid using the term, BAME (someone really needs to tell the wokes on Newsnight about this). Unfortunately, it's not clear what term we should be using. 

In this instance, I wanted to convey that the Tories probably wanted a 'non-white' candidate for mayor. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to say that concisely without offending one group or another.

I shall continue to do my best. Meanwhile, have you got another term you'd prefer we use?

14 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Unfortunately, it's not clear what term we should be using.

Imo, a catch all term for people that are not white is not something we're going to find, and neither do I think we need to. As I said before, I understand BAME's usage, and it doesn't offend me when people use it. For me, we should use specific terms because the 'BAME' is just the word people use to refer to people that are not white even though people *within* that group all have very different experiences in the UK.

The Indian experience is vastly different to the Pakistani or Bangladeshi one and vice versa ( this is applicable economically too as Indians tend to be economically better off than their Pakistani and Bangladdeshi counterparts, I read a paper ages ago about it but I can't find the link atm) This applies to outside south asia too, the West Africa experience as compared to the East African one is again quite different. And the Black experience in the UK is *completely* different from the South Asian one. There's also significant anti-black sentiment within some south asian communities that I think gets brushed under the carpet because people from the south asian communities are part of 'BAME'.

14 hours ago, Spockydog said:

without offending one group or another.

I wasn't offended. People from 'BAME' backgrounds won't get offended when they know the intention behind the usage was harmless. For a lot of things like this, it matters more how you come across and what the perceived intention is, as opposed to the term you use, so I wouldn't worry *too* much about the terms you use as long as you're willing to be reflective and understand where people who oppose the use of the word are coming from ( which I think you are, which is why I said it's all good).

What the 'BAME' classification *does* help is that it groups those people that are more often than not on the receiving end of racism in the UK, so I think it is useful in that sense, but I personally prefer to use specific terms depending on whom I'm talking about, but that might be too much work for a lot of people!

Archived