Why Daenerys is a better ruler and leader than Jon

(It should be someone like James Fenimore Cooper to compose this reaction piece but I will do my best.) 

Daenerys Targaryen is a better ruler and leader than Jon Snow.  We are all familiar with their leadership styles.  There is enough information for us to pass judgment on who the better leader is.  I will start with Jon Snow.

Jon Snow

Jon is far from the worst leader in A Song of Ice and Fire.  He is actually capable most of the time.  His biggest strength as a leader is his ability to teach.  Jon was able to teach the other less-fortunate cadets the proper use of the sword in combat.  Yes, he was an arrogant and entitled fool when he arrived.  A little man to man talk with a seasoned man helped open his eyes.  Many of the fans praise Jon for protecting the craven cadet, Samwell Tarly.  It is a well-earned praise.  Samwell would have died from fright if Jon had not stepped in and helped. 

I have established that Jon Snow is basically an average guy who has had a good training in the fighting arts.  As a leader, he is usually capable of performing his job.  However, there problems beneath his exterior.  Many of the fans have already brought it up repeatedly.   Jon has a chip on his shoulders.  Push that chip and he goes ballistic.  He is guilty of attacking Ser Alliser Thorne, a superior officer.  He has anger management issues which culminated in the inappropriate way in which he judged two guilty men, Janos Slynt and Mance Rayder.  By every laws of the land, it should have been the deserter and turncloak, Mance Rayder, who was executed.  Matters went downhill from there.  He sent the deserter and turncloak to bring his sister to him at the Wall.  This is an act of war against Roose and Ramsay Bolton.  The Night's Watch should never, and never has until now, make war against the people of The Seven Kingdoms. 

I served in the military for the better part of my early adult life.  I have never been tested in the same way as Jon was with Arya.  I will say there are a lot of men who would do as Jon did.  They would forsake their duties, no matter how critical it is, to save their sisters.  But there are still more who would do their duties and accept that they cannot help their sisters.  For proof, you only have to look at those men who are in the business of rescuing and saving people and property.  Many men would rather be at home with their families during an emergency crisis but instead they stay at their posts and do their jobs.  I knew people who went to Kuwait while they had desperate families back home.  Parents battling cancer.  Wives struggling to raise handicapped children alone.  I could go on and on.  The point is, it is not unreasonable nor is it rare for people to do their jobs even when they have critical family concerns back home.  And those men who can't do this should never be in command.  It's fine for desk jockey to always sacrifice his duties for his families.  But that is not acceptable for a commander of an organization who has been tasked with the protection of the kingdom. 

Quorin Halfhand said something in book 2.  He said of Mance Rayder, he was the best and the worst of us.  He had trouble obeying.  Jon is very much like Mance Rayder.  In many ways, he is the ideal black brother.  But he is also the worst possible.  Jon is a man gifted with martial skills.  He is a smart young man who usually makes sound decisions.  I don't think his inability to judge and prioritize will matter much with the Wildlings.  To the Free Folk, whatever the strong man says is right is right.  Might makes right with the Wildlings.  Jon does not have to be fair, nor consistent.  Laws among the Wildlings are not as well-defined. 

Daenerys Targaryen

Princess Daenerys Targaryen began the story a scared and nervous young girl.  Forced to marry into an alien culture, she used her natural intelligence to thrive.  Courage, intelligence, and determination allowed her to adapt to the Dothraki culture.  She brought the dragons back from extinction.  She had the smarts and the courage to lead her khalasar beyond the Red Waste until they reached Vaes Tolorro.  This is nothing less than remarkable for a girl of her age.  She defeated the Undying in the Palace of Dust with the help of her dragon, Drogon.  Over and over, Daenerys has managed to use her intelligence and her cunning to outmaneuver her adversaries.  She has become a very good player of the game of thrones with her own style. 

Queen Daenerys has become the conqueror and the ruler of the slaver city of Meereen.  She knows what we know.  As humans, we have a responsibility to make laws and judge the guilty.  The Meereenese masters perpetrated the most heinous war crime in the entire saga so far.  This is many times more heinous than the Red Wedding in The Twins.  The masters crucified the children of their slaves and used them to decorate the road to the city.  This kind of crime cannot go unpunished.  To do so would be to deny justice to those children.  Allowing the Meereenese to bring forth the guilty is a modern concept of peers judging peers.  It is certainly preferable to the arbitrary trial of combat being practiced in Westeros.  She is facing an enemy who refuse to fight her troops in open combat.  And yet, she refused to execute her cup bearers.  This was a smart move.  Those children can be socialized and educated away from their slaver parents.  These children will be the foundation of a free Slaver's Bay. 

The situation in Meereen is very complicated.  Skahaz, Reznak, and Hizdahr are unreliable allies.  Daenerys has been warned to be careful by Quaithe.  Yet, she reacts with reason and caution.  A Cersei would have had them all killed.  But a good leader knows that you have to trust people.  Everything carries a risk.  One person cannot manage a city of the size of Meereen.  Jorah's betrayal is revealed.  Daenerys wisely did not kill the man and instead sent him into exile.  Daenerys is a reflective, thoughtful person.  Which is a good quality for someone who has to make decisions.  She has much to learn about ruling but her potential is without limits. 

Queen Daenerys' arc has been preparing her to become the ruler that this world needs during the Long Night. The Pale Mare is the silent killer during war. Like the disease which causes Greyscale, the infective organism can't be seen. It's not an enemy you can fight with swords. Dany will be the leader who will be best prepared when Greyscale spreads in Westeros. She speaks several languages.  This will be helpful to a ruler who will lead Westeros, Dothraki, and Ghiscari people.  Contrast this to Jon, who has never left the north. I want to avoid bashing Jon in this post. Let me just say that I would choose Daenerys for leadership over Jon.  

1 hour ago, Here's Looking At You, Kid said:

(It should be someone like James Fenimore Cooper to compose this reaction piece but I will do my best.) 

Daenerys Targaryen is a better ruler and leader than Jon Snow.  We are all familiar with their leadership styles.  There is enough information for us to pass judgment on who the better leader is.  I will start with Jon Snow.

Jon Snow

Jon is far from the worst leader in A Song of Ice and Fire.  He is actually capable most of the time.  His biggest strength as a leader is his ability to teach.  Jon was able to teach the other less-fortunate cadets the proper use of the sword in combat.  Yes, he was an arrogant and entitled fool when he arrived.  A little man to man talk with a seasoned man helped open his eyes.  Many of the fans praise Jon for protecting the craven cadet, Samwell Tarly.  It is a well-earned praise.  Samwell would have died from fright if Jon had not stepped in and helped. 

I have established that Jon Snow is basically an average guy who has had a good training in the fighting arts.  As a leader, he is usually capable of performing his job.  However, there problems beneath his exterior.  Many of the fans have already brought it up repeatedly.   Jon has a chip on his shoulders.  Push that chip and he goes ballistic.  He is guilty of attacking Ser Alliser Thorne, a superior officer.  He has anger management issues which culminated in the inappropriate way in which he judged two guilty men, Janos Slynt and Mance Rayder.  By every laws of the land, it should have been the deserter and turncloak, Mance Rayder, who was executed.  Matters went downhill from there.  He sent the deserter and turncloak to bring his sister to him at the Wall.  This is an act of war against Roose and Ramsay Bolton.  The Night's Watch should never, and never has until now, make war against the people of The Seven Kingdoms. 

I served in the military for the better part of my early adult life.  I have never been tested in the same way as Jon was with Arya.  I will say there are a lot of men who would do as Jon did.  They would forsake their duties, no matter how critical it is, to save their sisters.  But there are still more who would do their duties and accept that they cannot help their sisters.  For proof, you only have to look at those men who are in the business of rescuing and saving people and property.  Many men would rather be at home with their families during an emergency crisis but instead they stay at their posts and do their jobs.  I knew people who went to Kuwait while they had desperate families back home.  Parents battling cancer.  Wives struggling to raise handicapped children alone.  I could go on and on.  The point is, it is not unreasonable nor is it rare for people to do their jobs even when they have critical family concerns back home.  And those men who can't do this should never be in command.  It's fine for desk jockey to always sacrifice his duties for his families.  But that is not acceptable for a commander of an organization who has been tasked with the protection of the kingdom. 

Quorin Halfhand said something in book 2.  He said of Mance Rayder, he was the best and the worst of us.  He had trouble obeying.  Jon is very much like Mance Rayder.  In many ways, he is the ideal black brother.  But he is also the worst possible.  Jon is a man gifted with martial skills.  He is a smart young man who usually makes sound decisions.  I don't think his inability to judge and prioritize will matter much with the Wildlings.  To the Free Folk, whatever the strong man says is right is right.  Might makes right with the Wildlings.  Jon does not have to be fair, nor consistent.  Laws among the Wildlings are not as well-defined. 

Daenerys Targaryen

Princess Daenerys Targaryen began the story a scared and nervous young girl.  Forced to marry into an alien culture, she used her natural intelligence to thrive.  Courage, intelligence, and determination allowed her to adapt to the Dothraki culture.  She brought the dragons back from extinction.  She had the smarts and the courage to lead her khalasar beyond the Red Waste until they reached Vaes Tolorro.  This is nothing less than remarkable for a girl of her age.  She defeated the Undying in the Palace of Dust with the help of her dragon, Drogon.  Over and over, Daenerys has managed to use her intelligence and her cunning to outmaneuver her adversaries.  She has become a very good player of the game of thrones with her own style. 

Queen Daenerys has become the conqueror and the ruler of the slaver city of Meereen.  She knows what we know.  As humans, we have a responsibility to make laws and judge the guilty.  The Meereenese masters perpetrated the most heinous war crime in the entire saga so far.  This is many times more heinous than the Red Wedding in The Twins.  The masters crucified the children of their slaves and used them to decorate the road to the city.  This kind of crime cannot go unpunished.  To do so would be to deny justice to those children.  Allowing the Meereenese to bring forth the guilty is a modern concept of peers judging peers.  It is certainly preferable to the arbitrary trial of combat being practiced in Westeros.  She is facing an enemy who refuse to fight her troops in open combat.  And yet, she refused to execute her cup bearers.  This was a smart move.  Those children can be socialized and educated away from their slaver parents.  These children will be the foundation of a free Slaver's Bay. 

The situation in Meereen is very complicated.  Skahaz, Reznak, and Hizdahr are unreliable allies.  Daenerys has been warned to be careful by Quaithe.  Yet, she reacts with reason and caution.  A Cersei would have had them all killed.  But a good leader knows that you have to trust people.  Everything carries a risk.  One person cannot manage a city of the size of Meereen.  Jorah's betrayal is revealed.  Daenerys wisely did not kill the man and instead sent him into exile.  Daenerys is a reflective, thoughtful person.  Which is a good quality for someone who has to make decisions.  She has much to learn about ruling but her potential is without limits. 

I can give you a better example of people sticking to their duties even at the risk to their loved ones.  The doctors and the nurses working at hospitals around the globe to combat the rona, covid19.  .  They risk their lives and the lives of their families every day they go to work.  Work has to come first for doctors and nurses.

5 hours ago, Here's Looking At You, Kid said:

Jon Snow

Daenerys Targaryen

Aegon would have benefitted by joining Dany in Meereen.  The war against the slave masters can teach important lessons in warfare, politics, governing, and commerce.  The Game was unkind to Robb and Theon because they lacked the experience.  Aegon may be heading for the same ending.  

6 hours ago, Skahaz mo Kandaq said:

I can give you a better example of people sticking to their duties even at the risk to their loved ones.  The doctors and the nurses working at hospitals around the globe to combat the rona, covid19.  .  They risk their lives and the lives of their families every day they go to work.  Work has to come first for doctors and nurses.

Ramsay is a virus that flays your skin off. 

52 minutes ago, Rose of Red Lake said:
8 hours ago, Here's Looking At You, Kid said:

You mean yourself?

Maybe he has multiple personalities, just that all of those personalities are exactly the same

Daenerys is a better conqueror, but she makes for a terrible ruler. She steps into societies that have existed for thousands of years and which she does not understand, and proceeds to enforce her rules through terror. She has no idea what she is doing or what the effects will be. Sure enough, the entire land is soon consumed by war, starvation, and disease. This is all on Daenerys.

8 hours ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Maybe he has multiple personalities, just that all of those personalities are exactly the same

Maybe you have multiple personalities.  Either that or you don't have much of a life.  No offense.  You are here whenever I'm visiting.  Which is every week.  I have to start to wonder if you live here. 

Jon should not even be in consideration for leadership.  His failure at the wall is proof.  Samwell wasn't thinking straight when he rigged that election.  Dany is the best choice possible to lead humanity through the coming darkness and then back into the light. 

17 hours ago, Here's Looking At You, Kid said:

Jon Snow

Daenerys Targaryen

dany's olive tree planting became famous, as far as i remember she is mocked because of it in far away places (sellswords in volantis? illyrio? cannot remember but I am sure it is in the books) so I guess not only she did not neglect supply problem like some suggest, but it seems to be her idee fixe.  Many expect her to get on a dragon and attack, not to play farmer. It is beyond imagination of many that she may feel commitment and obligation to take care of the city she conquered and its inhabitants (golden company and jon con do not seem to get it at all). she is in the kindergarten of ruling (she had nobody to teach her, unlike jon) and she makes mistakes, but she does what she can. In fact she even neglected her dragons absorbed by governing.

2 minutes ago, broken one said:

In fact she even neglected her dragons absorbed by governing.

Which is a big governing mistake in of itself. Now, I'm not saying she should actively use her dragons, far from it that would probably be a veeery bad idea, but she should take care of them, as they are the conduit of her power and act as the premier deterrent against any actions against her.

Dany could become better ruler if she decides to forget Westeros and keep ruling Meereen. But if she leaves that city anything she had done will disappear. Bc everything she had done is not enough to really change how the world works and so without her and dragons some power hungry warlords and usurpers would unmade anything good she had done.

Or there is a chance that Dany leaves behind similar bloodbath than USA did when USA "liberated" Iraq but did not have any real plans what they should do after Saddam and his government were eliminated. Or at least government of USA did not have enough political will or resources of carrying those out. So Iraq became a failed state.

So I assume that Dany would have to choose between Meereen and Westeros.

3 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Which is a big governing mistake in of itself. Now, I'm not saying she should actively use her dragons, far from it that would probably be a veeery bad idea, but she should take care of them, as they are the conduit of her power and act as the premier deterrent against any actions against her.

It is mistake, colossal one, but rather in terms of militaria, not running a state/city.

20 hours ago, Here's Looking At You, Kid said:

Jon Snow

Daenerys Targaryen

Jon's teaching only looked good because Thorne was bad at his job. 

Dany and Jon are not comparable because they have different resumes.  Jon's end at Lord Commander of a Garrison.  Dany's is still building and looks very good.  Hers will build a ruler.  Jon's built a lord commander of a garrison. 

11 hours ago, Monster_Under_the_Bed said:

Daenerys is a better conqueror, but she makes for a terrible ruler. She steps into societies that have existed for thousands of years and which she does not understand, and proceeds to enforce her rules through terror. She has no idea what she is doing or what the effects will be. Sure enough, the entire land is soon consumed by war, starvation, and disease. This is all on Daenerys.

Jon takes command of the Night's Watch, which has stood together for over a thousand years, and dragged them into war with the Warden of the North for the sake of his sister.  It wouldn't be as bad if he had done this years ago.  The watch would have time to recover after they caesared him.  But this is a really bad time to sow chaos. 

5 minutes ago, The Lord of the Crossing said:

Jon takes command of the Night's Watch, which has stood together for over a thousand years, and dragged them into war with the Warden of the North for the sake of his sister.  It wouldn't be as bad if he had done this years ago.  The watch would have time to recover after they caesared him.  But this is a really bad time to sow chaos. 

Tywin Lannister, who nominated the warden, did not mind if the NW fell utterly. And the Queen took up some hostile movements against this respectable order, including a plot to assasinate its lord commander. Jon does not know that, but what he knows the IT is absolutely indifferent to NW problems, while Stannis helps and so he invested in Stannis, trying to keep appearances of neutrality but it wont change anything. IT is indifferent to hostile. The warden of the north and his lovely son are threat to NW in the whole situation. To fight enemy in the north NW has to have safe back and support of Stannis. This is why smacking the so called warden between his pale eyes is very good idea.

Archived