Are Dragons Evil

Aldarion

Following is the first part of the series of posts I wrote on whether dragons are evil. To me, it appears that misconception that Western dragons are universally evil and Eastern dragons universally good is relatively common. But that, as I have noted, is a misconception. Even in the Bible, not all dragons are evil, and greater Western mythological tradition has many examples of good or benevolent dragons.

https://military-fantasy.com/2021/01/03/are-dragons-evil-part-1-introduction-and-bible/

Summa summarum: it is complicated. But as can be seen from above, even the Bible - the Old Testament, especially - does not support the idea that all dragons are somehow inherently evil. Dangerous, independent and violent, yes, those are all true - though even the "violent" part is not actually true for all dragons. But evil, no - or at least no more than any other living beings.

It reminded me of the Order of the Dragon founded by the Sigismund of Luxembourg and its sign. It is said to be the dragon St. George slain, so it is evil one. Strange choice for defenders of christianity.

Id start with defining what dragon is. Are dragons of East, West and the middle the same creatures? I take impression they are bunch of different, local mythical beasts merged into one, polyphyletic group by modern culture. Is Mushussu a dragon at all? Cetus killed by Perseus was whale-like beast (it even means whale in latin afair), now it is called a dragon.

7 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Puff the Magic Dragon really confused the whole issue.

Puff did muddy things, being one of the post-modern dragon icons - an immortal peddling drugs to the children of Honnalee is probably evil, but he was sharing his stash and ushering them into adulthood...

44 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

Thank you for asking this. It's been keeping me up at night. That and wondering if dragons are susceptible to/carriers of Coronaviruses.

They're a very mobile group and may definitely serve as a superspreaders. Serious causal studies are necessary.

1 hour ago, A wilding said:

Is this a version of the old joke where the dragon says "Oh no, not canned food again"?

The main character on Twitter yesterday was a father, aka can opener dad, who refused to show his 9 year old daughter how to open a can of beans and instead forced 6 hours of 'learning moment' before she could eat. 

46 minutes ago, Datepalm said:

They're a very mobile group and may definitely serve as a superspreaders. Serious causal studies are necessary.

On the one hand, I'm not sure if we've had any non-mammals susceptible to coronavirus.

On the other hand, dragons can breed with humans, so maybe they can get our diseases?

Also, the question becomes if dragons are closer to dinosaurs or lizards. (ducks apparently cannot get covid?) 

48 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

The main character on Twitter yesterday was a father, aka can opener dad, who refused to show his 9 year old daughter how to open a can of beans and instead forced 6 hours of 'learning moment' before she could eat. 

Ok.  I was trying to parse what that was on Twitter...

So maybe dragons are evil, maybe they're not... depends on the color though, eh? But bean dad certainly is...

Dragons are not fundamentally evil but they are wild.

It is unclear how dragons are affected by Covid19 or the vaccine.  It should be noted that it is very rare to be within six feet of a dragon.  Unless it is one of those dragons who befriends you and takes you on adventures...then you should wear a mask I guess.

A dragon could open a can of beans but naturally would refuse to do so.

Bean Dad sounds smug.  People responding to him on Twitter, though, are comparing assembling a computer by hand and the Pythagorean theorem to being able to use a can opener.  The kid probably can assemble a computer but is it unusual that a nine year old cannot use a can opener?  Am I just an old man?  That sounds absurd to me.  In the interest of full disclosure...I have no kids and have no memory of being nine.  

Dragons can often have a chaotic effect so maybe that's it. 

I feel like dragons are sort of the Kardashians of the monster world. They’re everywhere, they’re always overdressed, they have all the money, and they’re incredibly ostentatious.  I like them quite a lot, but I feel like more attention could be paid to orbs and ghouls.  Or even wendigos. 

ETA: Bean dad seems like a total asshat best case scenario.  Little kids cannot open cans of food with a can opener at 9 years old.   

13 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

I have a question about the assertion up thread that dragons can breed with humans?  Is that correct or can they only breed with lizard people?  Asking for my husband’s uncle who follows Q?

I'll repost this from the watch thread. The quote of the year from a movie in 2020 is this:

"The money plane has you covered, you want to bet on a dude fucking an alligator? Money plane."

-Money Plane

Archived