Does anybody recognise this book?

Prue

Hi, a friend is totally stuck trying to solve a geocaching puzzle, and I couldn't help her, as I definitely haven't read that book. It does sound like a YA or epic fantasy novel from the 80s perhaps?

The clues are:

- "The old M. had traveled a lot all over the world in his lifetime, with several travel companions some of whom had become his friends. He had had many adventures and encountered dangerous situations.
One day M. met a little caterpillar who was beautiful but dangerous, as she/he had poisonous urticating hair which could be deadly to humans. Some people therefore wanted to use the caterpillar to start a war. Because M. didn't want that, he took the little caterpillar with him on a dangerous journey to flee from these people. He took a few friends with him, but there were also persons in his group who were his adversaries. Additionally, they were pursued by people who wanted to use the caterpillar for evil purposes or prevent other people from using him/her. M. wrote a farewell letter to his friends before leaving, as he didn't know whether he would return.

- On their journey they pass by wonderous mountains and encounter old and new enemies. Some of them later turn out to be friends. At the end of the journey, they end up at a riverside, hurt but alive. The sun is rising, and the caterpillar is safe and can't be used to start a war any more." 
- "We read this book a long time ago, the author was a bestselling author."

As I translated the clues from German, I'm not sure if the use of the word "die Raupe" (= the caterpillar) which is feminine in German, is a clue for the gender of the protagonist.
The questions are:
- What is the name of the caterpillar? (2 words, pars pro toto)
- What is M.'s full name (first name, last name)?
- What is the name of the new friend who trusts M. first?
- M. and the caterpillar use a special trick to find and evade those who pursue them. What is the name of the trick? (2 words starting with the same letter)
- The rock formation of two mountains they pass in a blind ride through the darkness has a special name. What is it called? (2 words).

Maybe one of you has read this book and recognised the clues? Thanks in advance!

It's not LOTR. 

edit: Another friend has just solved the puzzle, and I can tell you that it is not a book in the Fantasy genre after all. 

One more clue: There is also a film adaptation of this book.

OK, next clue: Nuclear power. (My first thought had been that it must be a book from the 80s which focuses on the danger of nuclear power by wrapping that in an epic fantasy story, but it's not a fantasy story).

Something of a long-shot, as I'm not sure this fits all the clues that well (and I've seen the film but not read the book), but could this be

Spoiler

The Hunt for Red October?

With the caterpillar being the (nuclear) submarine of the title, and M. being its captain?

Archived