US Politics: Georgia on Our Minds

Fragile Bird

Pelosi barely squeaked by.  Kevin McCarthy is challenging her, boasting his is bigger than hers, and she's about to be toast.  The ugly is already in play.

January 6th is going to be dreadful, one has to fear.  And / or January 7th.  I sure hope I'm wrong about this.  Also hope the Dems etc. have been making plans for this all along, though one has to doubt ....

The violence is being promoted.  Democracy or Coup, and They know exactly where They stand.  They may likely not pull it off, but it will be keeping this horror going and escalating -- and in many ways, They already have pulled it off, particularly with all the police depts. backing Them.

If Ossof and Warner win, that will be Fort Sumter Day for the rightists.  The Dems are going to HAVE TO FIGHT.  FIGHT, like they've been too comfy all along to do.

30 minutes ago, DMC said:

I will take the very controversial stance that Father and Son is better.  To be clear, this opinion does not necessarily represent the views of Jon Ossoff and Raphael Warnock.

Choosing Cat Stevens is not remotely the slam dunk controversy you think it is. Jon Ossoff is on record as saying that Sad Lisa is the greatest song ever recorded. When asked, Raphael Warnock stunned everybody by going with Jim Croce’s Time in a Bottle.

I like the way Trump ranted fake facts for what seems like a long time (sounding desperate - trying to be nice to Brad!) and then Meadows comes in with this weaselly nonsense, seeing as Brad had not bothered to interrupt Trump but just let him spout. I guess Meadows wants a way forward that is less litigious because the litigation's not going so good. Illegal actions by a Secretary of State would be so much easier than this 'courts' business.

Meadows: So, Mr. President, if I might be able to jump in, and I’ll give Brad a chance. Mr. Secretary, obviously there is, there are allegations where we believe that not every vote or fair vote and legal vote was counted, and that’s at odds with the representation from the secretary of state’s office.

What I’m hopeful for is there some way that we can, we can find some kind of agreement to look at this a little bit more fully? You know the president mentioned Fulton County. 

But in some of these areas where there seems to be a difference of where the facts seem to lead, and so Mr. Secretary, I was hopeful that, you know, in the spirit of cooperation and compromise, is there something that we can at least have a discussion to look at some of these allegations to find a path forward that’s less litigious?

I also like the way Brad listened and listened and then just said the problem is your data is wrong. I mean he has already made it clear in the press he is not going to jump in and do this stuff for the sake of the party. Trump must have thought that's just not possible.

5 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Choosing Cat Stevens is not remotely the slam dunk controversy you think it is.

Then why was Dubya afraid to let him into the country?!?  Mistaken identity my ass.

6 minutes ago, DMC said:

Then why was Dubya afraid to let him into the country?!?  Mistaken identity my ass.

Probably had something to do with the seditious anthem Peace Train. Either that or Dubya was just jumping at moonshadows. 

3 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Either that or Dubya was just jumping at moonshadows. 

Mayhaps agents were just confused by Dubya's orders when he cried he Can't Keep It In.  Anyway the incident did lead to probably my all-time favorite thread title (on another board):  The US Fears Cat Stevens.

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I hope they did.  Just like I hope the Secret Service will leak video of expelling Trump from the White House if he refuses to leave on 1/20/2021.

I’d paid money for that.

More than I could afford probably. 

David Blight is a guy who really knows his slavery, his confederates, his Georgia, his Civil War, Reconstruction, Jim Crow, Glorious Lost Cause and so on and so forth, is a revered, honored scholar of history, awarded many prestigious book awards for history, including the National Book Award. He's anything but a radical firebrand. However, he knows how this shyte happens and knows it when he sees it, and has the guts to say it out loud in public.

https://history.yale.edu/people/david-blight

David Simon and Wire cast members are canvassing in Georgia.  "You see me coming, you can ask me why I killed off your favorite character."

34 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

What, and start in with a second Civil War narrative? A Cold Civil War, perhaps?

Rhetoric on that level simply isn’t warranted.

The crazy man will vacate the White House. My bet is that he will forget how to breathe in about 2 years, due to his dementia progressing. Or he’ll have a stroke. So much for Trump 2024.

You must keep these Actuarial tables close at hand.

That said, I am mildly surprised Trump is still breathing, given his known health issues, poor diet, lack of exercise, and bout with the corona virus.  

Given how old many of the power brokers in DC are, it seems reasonable to expect a slew of new faces come 2024.  

17 minutes ago, Zorral said:

David Simon and Wire cast members are canvassing in Georgia.  "You see me coming, you can ask me why I killed off your favorite character."

LOL, Simon is the best.

The leaked recording is not playing well on conservative Reddit. Initially there were the predictable excuses of “out of context” and calls for the whole recording to be released. But once the whole recording was released, there was really no way to spin this favorably for Trump. Some are still trying, but most are falling somewhere on the spectrum of terrible misstep-time to move on-yikes this might be criminal.

41 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

You must keep these Actuarial tables close at hand.

That said, I am mildly surprised Trump is still breathing, given his known health issues, poor diet, lack of exercise, and bout with the corona virus.  

Given how old many of the power brokers in DC are, it seems reasonable to expect a slew of new faces come 2024.  

I think it's a testament to the difference in healthcare available to the wealthy / powerful vs your average person.  

Archived