US Politics: Georgia on Our Minds

Fragile Bird

8 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

This is actually I’d argue a pretty reasonable position. The schism between urban and rural voters has only amplified these years.

It hasn’t received popular support in the Republican Party  in California or NY, but statewide support perhaps may not be needed.

And where does everyone think the tax base lives in these states?  Omfg urban/rural nonsense. Think with your brain - at least in NY the blue urban centers carry the rest of the state. Mind you that’s not to say there shouldn’t be a ton of reform in Albany and NYC city hall but breaking up the state?  Look to the money and then think about it ....

9 hours ago, Kalbear Total Landscaping said:

The existing politicians can't do what Trump did because, well, they're politicians and aren't particularly popular. One of the things that appealed about Trump was that he wasn't a politician at all. 

Funny enough, even before he took office, Trump was a caricature of everything people hate about politicians.  

3 hours ago, Darzin said:

As for Trump's legacy I think he'll fade remarkabelt fast. Sarah Palin tapped into the same energy and people and once she was out of the spotlight her star waned remarkably quickly. I think Trump will have a similar fate. He'll hang on longer but politics and issues will move on. I'd be surprised if he had much influence after the 2024 election they'll be new issues and campaigns and people will move on. 

Trump's connection with his party is a lot stronger though. What will be interesting, and fun, is when Trump realizes all these Republicans are setting themselves up for 2024 and he starts turning on them. 

8 hours ago, DMC said:

Neither, btw, is any of the rest of his family, albeit I could see Ivanka and even Junior at a lower elected office.

The idea that Ivanka could possibly primary Rubio in Florida...? Actually kinda funny, even though it is apparently only all talk.  Should it come to pass though, does that open up a possible pick up in Senate by Democrats? Meaning, does a Dem candidate have a better chance to knock off a Trump in Florida, as opposed to an incumbent Rubio?  Dare to dream, eh?

11 hours ago, Lollygag said:

Losing states like GA and later TX are especially frightening to Republicans. By their reaction, it appears that they view it as some sort of glass ceiling which when broken can never properly be put back into place again.

Kind of about what they perceive as a sort of cultural breakdown, like they have some Red Curtain version of the USSR's Iron Curtain.

I understand why Republicans are terrified at losing states like Georgia (and Arizona too); although I think some of these glass ceiling concerns are overblown since 20-30 years down the road we have no idea what the landscape will look like.

Trump on the other hand has no capacity or interest in such long term thinking. I imagine his lizard brain simply wanted to call the various states one by one, and in his own mind he thought he could easily twist their arms.

44 minutes ago, Leap said:

Obviously Trump will be long gone before the Senate could possibly vote to acquit him again anyway, but I do think the House should draft some articles of impeachment if only for the historical record. Given all the bad faith arguments and misrepresentations common to the Republican party of today, in the optimistic scenario that American democracy does survive for another few centuries, the idea that a President ought to be impeached for this behaviour should be written down, not left as an inference. It's not hard to imagine a future demagogue pointing to congressional inaction now and saying "clearly the Congress at that time thought it was harmless!". 

I just found out that a president can be impeached after his first term ends and the effect of that would be to prevent him from running again. According to someone just interviewed on CNN.

Speaking of Georgia, I'm not sure which of the three outcomes (2R, 2D or 1R 1D) is the most likely. I happen to think 2R or 2D are, my considered opinion is there isnt enough ticket splitting in the special election to have a split outcome. The question then is what the effect of Trump's phone call will be for in person voting . Hopefully it convinces just enough Republicans to stay home in a tight election.

5 hours ago, maarsen said:

I listened to a good portion of the tape last night. Apart from the election tampering and treason charges that could arise, I think the biggest problem for Trump supporters is that Trump comes across as a terrible negotiator. The Art of the Deal guy comes across as a whiny, groveling little sniveller try to get candy from a recalcitrant baby. 

This is, I think, the crux of what I’ve been seeing in Trumpville the past few weeks; the de-mythologizing of Trump. The strong man, the business tycoon, the winner, the biggest of swinging dicks, is being humiliated (and humiliating himself) over and over again. The 4d chess player is getting his ass handed to him in full view of everyone, and it’s getting to be impossible to find excuses for his failures.

7 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

This is, I think, the crux of what I’ve been seeing in Trumpville the past few weeks; the de-mythologizing of Trump. The strong man, the business tycoon, the winner, the biggest of swinging dicks, is being humiliated (and humiliating himself) over and over again. The 4d chess player is getting his ass handed to him in full view of everyone, and it’s getting to be impossible to find excuses for his failures.

But he is compensating by demanding Republicans to humiliate themselves repeatedly and they are complying.

3 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Wow... that’ll go well.  :(

Of course it will. Republicans already know that there is no actual effort to stop them from doing whatever they want to. They're looking for fights with entirely toothless systems so that they can show how useless those things are.

Q-anon Marjorie has already signaled she is going to be a pain in the butt in this regard; she started off by posting a video of her working out in a hotel room because she claimed all the gyms were closed on account of government tyranny (never mind that her hotel gym and 50 others were open close by). Now she is not adhering to Pelosi's mask mandate within chambers either; but I think the latter may have some consequences (although I am not privy to the rules of censuring House members)

Two threads found next to each other on conservative Reddit:

1) Why are only Republican lawmakers dying of Covid? Something real fishy is going on here!

2) Joe Biden cancels inauguration parade because he’s afraid of Covid. What a pussy!

Archived