Physical Cash On Hand

Mr. Chatywin et al.

I typically have 100 +/- 80 in cash.  Though when the poker rooms are open around here, I may have rather more than that.  Have been charging a lot more of my small purchases though since March so really haven't been to the ATM much at all.

2 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

I typically have 100 +/- 80 in cash.  Though when the poker rooms are open around here, I may have rather more than that.  Have been charging a lot more of my small purchases though since March so really haven't been to the ATM much at all.

No go there yet either?

Yeah. I’d say $200 is my usual. Good for purchases, or just in case I feel like hitting the Hold’em tables. 

13 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

No go there yet either?

Yeah. I’d say $200 is my usual. Good for purchases, or just in case I feel like hitting the Hold’em tables. 

My local re-opened last week.  Limited tables, and hours, and 7 max, So if you don't get there prior to opening, you could wait hours and hours for a seat.   Only have about a quarter of tables open because plexiglass barriers needed per health department and/or gaming commission. I went once, but I don't like wearing a mask for hours at a time, so while I'll still play some, it's not the default nothing better to do idea that it was.

16 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

This is some cointelpro/IRS joint op.

Dammit and now I'm on a watchlist.

Did I say Twenty? What I meant to say is my agents typically carry no less that $50,000 in various currencies and precious metals whenever I, ah, go to the store for a jug of milk. That's it. Добрый вечер товарищ Трамп.

48 minutes ago, Impmk2 said:

Yeah around here (Australia), if street vendors didn't accept card they wouldn't be doing much business.

Here even if they don't have card readers they usually have a phone number set up for Swish so you can pay via mobile phone. 

Depends on where I am.

If I'm here in the UK, then 30-50 pounds. I've been carrying change in coins more often here because when you work the night shift, you need them for the vending machine overlords. This changes if it's not a normal day - where I just go to work and come back - if I'm headed out for a drink/ seeing friends, probably 50-80.

If I'm back home in India, then you need to carry cash in hand, or you're going to miss out.

I'm not someone who can carry no cash in hand, maybe it's a product of growing up in places where you *needed* to have cash in hand. Also, I feel like there will invariably be a situation where I need cash so I always like to have some in my wallet.

I keep all my money in cash under my bed.  It cured Magic Johnson of AIDS FFS!!!

Before covid I tried to keep 20 bucks in my wallet, pretty much exclusively so if I ended up playing pool at this bar around campus I could get change.  Then again, the bar does have an ATM (albeit not my bank).  I remember a couple years ago a friend had his "bachelor party" (it really was just a bunch of us getting together once everybody got in town, including the bride) at this dive I'd never been to and it only took cash.  But, again, it had an ATM (which I needed).  A couple pizza places in Pitt only take cash too - I've always suspected they're mob fronts.  But, still, they have ATMs.  Other than that I can't think of any reason to have cash, albeit around campus there aren't any "street vendors" per se.

When I used to take taxis I'd always be sure to keep $40 just in case.  And wayy back when I lived in DC from 2003-2007 I'd keep more than that as some dives still only took cash back then.  I think.  I don't know, maybe I'm remembering wrong.  This is starting to hurt my head.

ETA:  Oh, whenever I fly and travel to a city I don't live in I always keep $200.  It's almost always entirely unnecessary but it's just one weird thing I'm anal about.

I carry about $100 in my wallet. I almost never use it. I pay with cards/ It's for emergencies or to give away. One thing I've had happen to me numerous times is for a fast food place with their payment service down and they won't serve you if you can't pay cash. Also had some scary moments where I almost didn't  have enough funds for bus money when I badly needed it.

I used to have many thousands of dollars in my home. Not the greatest thing, but there was a real chance the government could seize my bank accounts due to student loan nonpayment. I no longer do that.

Oh yeah, last time I took a cab about ten years ago, the guy wanted cash. He drove me to an ATM though.

In my pockets on my person I carry a check card, a credit card, my ID, a chapstick, and a small box knife. No cash at all unless I expect to need it, but I keep all my cash tips at home until they don’t fit in the box I put them in. I don’ t carry cash or a purse and women’s jeans don’t let you carry much

5 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Thats interesting, a lot of food and market stalls in the uk, even pre-COVID had options for card payments. One of the few places i have encountered that was cash only is a men’s barber shop

My barbers were but since Covid they've started taking cards.

Archived