Long Lives Of Targaryens

Kierria

Aemon Targaryen was the oldest person in westeros when he died at 102.  Superior Targaryen genes, healthy diet, and social isolation gave him his long life.  George R, R, Martin got his idea from the British royal family. Do check out the weblink from yt.  Enjoy

Why The Royals Live So Long

The Bizarre Diet That Causes The Royals to Live so Long - YouTube

20 minutes ago, Kierria said:

Aemon Targaryen was the oldest person in westeros when he died at 102.  Superior Targaryen genes, healthy diet, and social isolation gave him his long life.  George R, R, Martin got his idea from the British royal family. Do check out the weblink from yt.  Enjoy

Incest weakens the immune system. Inbreeding causes diseases like canine distemper in tigers and lions for instance. And Racism is bad. Superior genes my ass. 

You [Rhaego] are the true dragon." "Targaryens did not mingle their blood with lesser men" "If it were not for the blood of the dragon, this could be my home" "Mine is the blood of the dragon" "The blood of the dragon would not be herded through the bazaar by an old man and a fat eunuch." "I am the blood of the dragon. Do not presume to teach me lessons

And they weren't keto vegans IIRC. Healthy diet, ask Aegon IV

Social isolation!? Most Valyrian Targ males fcked anything with a hole. A surprise that Dany hasn't got AIDS/HIV from philandering Daario yet as someone mentioned elsewhere 

1 hour ago, TheLastWolf said:

Incest weakens the immune system.

Not on the Planetos, where Valyrians are OK after ages of inbreeding.

And where all Robert's children  have black hair and dark blue eyes. Nature made this special rule for him. Seed is strong. I imagine his black brearded spermatozoids swinging tiny hammers while storming an ovum.

3 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Incest weakens the immune system.

Not necessarily. Incest is kinda like a coin, it can reinforce positive traits and genes, or it can pass on bad recessive genes. It's pretty much a lottery.

If you want and example look at Cleopatra nd her brother husband Prolemey, children of Cleopatra and Ptolemy (really it's the only two names in the Ptolemeic dynasty) descendent from a long line of incest that would make the Tagraryens blush.

Ptolemey, was mentally retarded, fat, and likely had Graves disease. Cleopatra on the other hand, was one of the most beautiful and intelligent women in the world. I think that's what GRRM was going with the Targs too,

Way too many healthy one in that case thought.

PS Why not try the Ptolemeic dynasty drinking game? Take a shot whenever someone is called Cleopatra or Ptolemey. Double shot if they are married siblings. Die by the 5th generation

3 hours ago, broken one said:

And where all Robert's children  have black hair and dark blue eyes. Nature made this special rule for him. Seed is strong. I imagine his black brearded spermatozoids swinging tiny hammers while storming an ovum.

Not Nature, a God called George RR Martin 

And not just for him, his whole Baratheon house 

FTFY:D

19 hours ago, Kierria said:

Higher body temperature is like running a constant fever.  It helps fight off invading microorganisms.  It looks like high immunity.  Duncan noticed something weird about Aegon.  The boy doesn't sweat.  Which means his body runs at a higher temperature.   Fewer illness throughout a lifetime can lead to a longer life. 

• 1 month later...

Elevated body temperature would explain their effective immune system.  They got sick less but we can't be sure if that compensated for death by unnatural causes.  Warriors they are.  It's a dangerous life and they were often on the battlefield.  Priest is a safer occupation.  

On 1/5/2021 at 7:42 AM, Kierria said:

Not so much. These are the few exceptions. You can find it everywhere, not only in Housr Targaryen. Why does Lord Walder lives then so long?. If there's some kind of advancement in valyrian DNA, it doesn't affect lifespan. Just a higher immunity and higher resistance against heat. That's pretty much it, along with the 'somekindaimmunity to incest'.

41 minutes ago, Daeron the Daring said:

along with the 'somekindaimmunity to incest

I mean not really. Aerys seems to be a poster child on why you don't incest, at least in regards to mental illness. His case lines up pretty well with dementia, and his and Rhalla's infertility can be explained by the incest.

4 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

I mean not really. Aerys seems to be a poster child on why you don't incest, at least in regards to mental illness. His case lines up pretty well with dementia, and his and Rhalla's infertility can be explained by the incest.

Aegon and her sisters were product of incest (and I mean brothers and sisters, not cousins) for at least 100 years, and we don't even know what happened back in Valyria and how often they married an outsider. So the answer to your suggestion is simply no. 

On the other hand, Aerys fucked Rhaella the moment he could and she had noone in her belly. And also, altough Aerys was a 2D human being in her youth, enprisonment and torture in Duskendale made him go mad.

On 1/5/2021 at 10:48 AM, Alyn Oakenfist said:

If you want and example look at Cleopatra nd her brother husband Prolemey, children of Cleopatra and Ptolemy (really it's the only two names in the Ptolemeic dynasty) descendent from a long line of incest that would make the Tagraryens blush.

Ptolemey, was mentally retarded, fat, and likely had Graves disease. Cleopatra on the other hand, was one of the most beautiful and intelligent women in the world. I think that's what GRRM was going with the Targs too,

Was Cleopatra  really beautiful or stories about her are constructions of Roman historians ?

https://www.historyextra.com/period/ancient-egypt/the-face-of-cleopatra-was-she-really-so-beautiful/

https://i2.wp.com/moco-choco.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/cleopatra-digital-reconstruction-21.jpg?resize=700%2C672&ssl=1

12 minutes ago, Eltharion21 said:

Was Cleopatra  really beautiful or stories about her are constructions of Roman historians ?

I mean the definition of beauty did change a lot during the ages, however one thing is clear, she was beyond intelligent.

13 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

I mean the definition of beauty did change a lot during the ages, however one thing is clear, she was beyond intelligent.

I agree she was likely very intelligent and probably charismatic, though Helen of Troy or statues of Aphrodite and other deities beg to differ as a definition of beauty against representations of Cleopatra  on coins or busts that are used to make her face known to her subjects.

4 hours ago, Daeron the Daring said:

Aegon and her sisters were product of incest (and I mean brothers and sisters, not cousins) for at least 100 years, and we don't even know what happened back in Valyria and how often they married an outsider. So the answer to your suggestion is simply no. 

On the other hand, Aerys fucked Rhaella the moment he could and she had noone in her belly. And also, altough Aerys was a 2D human being in her youth, enprisonment and torture in Duskendale made him go mad.

Not necessarily. For starters, it could just be that Valyrians only came into existence through inbreeding (i.e. incest could be a cultural thing that predates their dragon-taming by millennia). In which case, the relative lack of outbreeding for significant enough periods of time could have, through natural selection, reduced the number of negative genetic mutations in their gene pool. Then, the Targaryens showed up in Westeros and started breeding with houses that aren't of pure Valyrian stock, potentially introducing negative recessive genes into their lineage that could be much more likely to be expressed at later dates following incestuous matches. That is to say, the sibling incest won't cause as many negative consequences if flaws are less prevalent in Valyrian genetics, but by breeding with other houses, they introduce new possible genetic flaws into their lineage. This would explain why madness, sterility, and defects became increasingly more common as the Targaryens bred out of the family and then married back into it. And really, it would make sense if the Valyrians were eugenicists, who regularly purged people who had birth defects, leaving the blood lines that survived "clean" of such "imperfections" over significant enough spans of time.

Another explanation is that inbreeding, while still relatively common in Old Valyria, was tempered by the fact that there were thousands of dragon riders and people of pure Valyrian stock to choose from, and extra-familial marriages were common enough that most Valyrians never experienced insane negative consequences from inbreeding because the actual genetic variety was great enough to prevent the worst effects from being too common.

1 hour ago, Aegon the Restorer said:

Not necessarily. For starters, it could just be that Valyrians only came into existence through inbreeding (i.e. incest could be a cultural thing that predates their dragon-taming by millennia). In which case, the relative lack of outbreeding for significant enough periods of time could have, through natural selection, reduced the number of negative genetic mutations in their gene pool. Then, the Targaryens showed up in Westeros and started breeding with houses that aren't of pure Valyrian stock, potentially introducing negative recessive genes into their lineage that could be much more likely to be expressed at later dates following incestuous matches. That is to say, the sibling incest won't cause as many negative consequences if flaws are less prevalent in Valyrian genetics, but by breeding with other houses, they introduce new possible genetic flaws into their lineage. This would explain why madness, sterility, and defects became increasingly more common as the Targaryens bred out of the family and then married back into it. And really, it would make sense if the Valyrians were eugenicists, who regularly purged people who had birth defects, leaving the blood lines that survived "clean" of such "imperfections" over significant enough spans of time.

Another explanation is that inbreeding, while still relatively common in Old Valyria, was tempered by the fact that there were thousands of dragon riders and people of pure Valyrian stock to choose from, and extra-familial marriages were common enough that most Valyrians never experienced insane negative consequences from inbreeding because the actual genetic variety was great enough to prevent the worst effects from being too common.

Altough I actually like your idea that marriying non-valyrians made them less resistant to incest, once they began practicing it again, the problem with this theory is the origin of incest.

We don't know when it began, but the likeliest possibility is that they decided to do it so that they'll stop others gaining the right to ride their own dragons.

Otherwise, your idea is a pretty good one. But also note that Rhaella gave birth to Rhaegar at the age of 14, and Aerys impregnated her pretty regularly, without letting her recover or anything. And women also aren't equally good at childbearing. On the other hand, Aerys was nothing more than a terrible and dumb person. Torture drove him mad, but I still like your idea that leaving behing incest and then again taking it up wasn't that healthy to the Targaryen line.

The Targaryens are actually ridiculously short-lived, especially their women who die like flies in childbirth.

But even their men don't get old. The Conqueror and Jaehaerys I at least get past sixty, which is decent. Visenya is the oldest Targaryen in the first century. Alysanne younger and is very sick and spent in her last years.

Aenys and Jaehaerys II die very early, and Baelon dies in his forties a stomach disease. Viserys I gets just above fifty, Aegon III dies very young, the same Baelor the Blessed, and Viserys II and Aegon IV both only live to the age of 49. Daeron II doesn't make it to sixty, either, and Aerys I dies in his fifties, too.

Many others who die of unnatural causes and also don't get that old.

On 1/5/2021 at 3:12 AM, broken one said:

Tell that to all the insane Targs, all the deformed miscarriage babies. Heck, Joffrey was probably genetically predisposed to psychopathy because of his parents incest, and that was only one generation. Inbreeding doesn't make it a certainty that the babies will be negatively affected, it just greatly increases the odds that they will. And the Targaryens certainly have some inherited problems due to generations of incest, their mental health being a big issue. They also likely have issues with fertility as well.

Archived