Long Lives Of Targaryens

Kierria

On 1/5/2021 at 12:42 AM, Kierria said:

Aemon Targaryen was the oldest person in westeros when he died at 102.  Superior Targaryen genes, healthy diet, and social isolation gave him his long life.  George R, R, Martin got his idea from the British royal family. Do check out the weblink from yt.  Enjoy

Why The Royals Live So Long

The Bizarre Diet That Causes The Royals to Live so Long - YouTube

The Valyrians had advanced knowledge which are no longer available today.  Westeros and the maesters are primitive by comparison.  They are suspected of biological and genetic experiments.  They were engineering themselves for physical perfection.  Better health would naturally be one of of those goals.  Love and romance were not as important to Valyrians when it comes to selecting their spouse.  They valued Eugenics more than they did marital happiness. 

8 hours ago, Nathan Stark said:

all the deformed miscarriage babies

The only Targs with more than one miscarriages/stillbirth/premature deaths were:

- Maegor. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, something happened to Maegor after the Trial by Seven. He was in a coma for a month before Tyanna brought him back. She undoubtedly used blood magic, and honestly, the whole thing kinda reminds me of Khal Drogo. I think that in bringing him back, Tyanna left him magically sterile (which explains why all his "children" were abominations similar to Rhaego)

- Aegon and Naerys. And here we know that Naerys was sickly and had a poor constitution. The problem wasn't in the incest, it was Naerys, and her problem, didn't come from incest as he parents weren't related.

- Aerys and Rhaella. Here there are several factors, be it Pycelle probably making sure Rhaegar didn't have a sister, or, more importantly, Aerys constantly impregnating Rhaella. Before Viserys Rhaella had one pregnancy a year. That's not healthy, her body didn't had time to recover from her last pregnancy, resulting in the lost babies. Once Aerys wasn't impregnating her as often, and Rhaegar was old enough that a marriage to his sister wasn't feasible anymore, Rhaella had two perfectly healthy children.

So, the miscarriages didn't seem to come from incest, but rather from various individual factors, be them magic or health issues.

The only case that really defies this is Rhaenyra's Visenya, who too came out a half dragon abomination, because reasons I guess.

8 hours ago, Nathan Stark said:

They also likely have issues with fertility as well.

I mean Jaehaerys and Alysanne were the most fertile Targs ever, in fact they were breeding prodigiously, and they were siblings.

4 hours ago, U. B. Cool said:

The Valyrians had advanced knowledge which are no longer available today.  Westeros and the maesters are primitive by comparison.  They are suspected of biological and genetic experiments.  They were engineering themselves for physical perfection.  Better health would naturally be one of of those goals.  Love and romance were not as important to Valyrians when it comes to selecting their spouse.  They valued Eugenics more than they did marital happiness. 

I mean I actually think that it's true, however I think it's a very bad thing, the amount of fucked up shit the Valyrians seemed to do in terms of eugenics (think the half human creatures of Goggossos, or the fire wyrms) make Mengele and the gang seem like doctors worthy of the name.

18 hours ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

I mean I actually think that it's true, however I think it's a very bad thing, the amount of fucked up shit the Valyrians seemed to do in terms of eugenics (think the half human creatures of Goggossos, or the fire wyrms) make Mengele and the gang seem like doctors worthy of the name.

Eugenics is a scientific blind alley.  

4 hours ago, The Grey Wolf said:

@Lord Varys

Viserys II died at 50, not 49. Otherwise, you're correct. Was Maekar old when he died? I know Egg was in his mid-fifties.

Yes, if Viserys II was already 49 when he took the throne and did indeed rule little longer than a year then he would have turned fifty before his death.

4 hours ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

Maekar was between 55 and 59, Egg 59. But in the end both of them did not die from natural causes, so not sure you can deduce anything from that.

Yes, we cannot take those into account. I guess some Targaryens - especially Aemon's brothers - technically must have had the biological potential for old age, but they could not realize it. Daeron drank and whored himself into an early grave, and Aerion and Egg got themselves in mad magical experiments.

I'd also assume that Maekar and Baelor Breakspear had the potential to grow pretty old - as would have Duncan and Daeron the Gay. They seem to have been very strong and healthy specimen - the Dragonknight, too. I'm not holding my breath for Aerys II, though. He would have died early, I expect, even if he hadn't been murdered.

But the examples of (if we go with death by natural causes) Rhaena, Aenys, Baelon, Viserys I, Aegon III, Baelor I, Viserys II, Aegon IV, Aerys I, and Jaehaerys II show that the Targaryens are not exactly a long-lived family.

And even Alysanne didn't age gracefully.

2 hours ago, The Grey Wolf said:

@Lord Varys

Can we really count Baelor I? The dude fasted himself to death out of zealotry.

I guess one could also argue with a weak general constitution in Baelor's case.

On the other hand, the guy apparently survived multiple lethal doses of viper venom, so perhaps he actually is a case of heightened Targaryen/Valyrian resilience to sickness and other toxins?

I mean, no idea how much George understands about snake poison, but you just do not survive multiple bites from lethal snakes. And if you do, you recover quickly before the effects threaten your life. But Baelor went into a coma and his body was apparently able to fight off the poison in that state.

Archived