U.S. Politics: This DOO-DOO Is Bananas

Mr. Chatywin et al.

Just now, kairparavel said:

Aggressive /violent seditious white folks from out of town get way more leeway on the grounds of the Capitol than Black citizens do in the streets of their own city during peaceful protests. It's nauseating. 

Well hell, girl, you didn’t think Trump was calling in the military and the black helicopters to protect Congress, did you? 

4 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Well hell, girl, you didn’t think Trump was calling in the military and the black helicopters to protect Congress, did you? 

Still. There's 2,200 officers in the Capitol Police and over 5,000 in the DCPD; plus DC can request both police and national guard support from Maryland and Virginia (and has in the past). Feels like a distinct under-preparation for today.

7 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

One thing I will note is that the Democratic coalition is pretty broad right now.

We are here!  Really here! With at least a faint majority so that we can maybe go to war on the virus and start rebuilding this country, rebuilding hopefully better and more equitably while equally preparing to be creative and intelligent about living with the climate catastrophes -- and covid will not be the last pandemic, doubtless.

The utterly essential matter we must keep in the forefront of all our minds as that we are here because we all have been here.  We've all been working as hard as we can in our various ways to get here, the first step to saving ourselves as a nation and not unlikely as a species.

This really does mean all of us, even to high degree the ones many of us most like to sneer at: the over 60, white, middle class, book club women, even of Kansas.  These women, as mainstream and maybe tone deaf to their patronizing sense of white saviors for black people, and so on, they did work their asses off, and they sent huge amounts of money in aggregate to the Dems in Georgia and to the national candidates as well.  They also work on the ground locally for the Dems.  They've been working since at least Hillary's campaign.

While I'm gonna give the majority of gratitude to Black people, to other groups considered 'not white' like the activist coalitions out of which came the Squad, Imma brimming with gratitude to my white middle class ladie4s too.

1 minute ago, kairparavel said:

I'm a mile away from the Capitol and I have been hearing random sirens for the past few hours. But yeah, the woeful underestimating by authorities of what was going to happen here is telling.

Maybe a lot of cops called in sick and are on the other side of the barricades.

49 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

it's about who is going to use their leverage to blunt the Democratic agenda. We are less than 24 hours out from the Dems taking control of the Senate, and we already have one of the most prominent centrist Democrats coming out making excuses for why we won't be able to do the major things we need to do.

The notion that Chris Coons will in any way blunt Biden and congressional Democrats' legislative agenda is one of the most ass backwards assertions imaginable.  He is naturally going to be the administration's key ally in garnering support among the Senate caucus for Biden's legislative initiatives and he is respected across the ideological spectrum as a workhorse legislator.  The fact he pointed out the obvious that things like PR statehood and changing the composition of the court are off the table doesn't change a damn thing.

57 minutes ago, Fez said:

Apparently 60 Republican House members objected to Arizona's certification. That's actually less than I thought it'd be. Cruz objected too; not sure how many other Republican senators did. So now we get 2 hours debate in each chamber.

I meant to post yesterday about an interview done on CNBC with Jeffrey Sonnenfeld from the Yale School of Management, about the latest CEO survey they did. After the election they did a call with 30 or 40 CEOs and former CEOs and the feeling then was that saying Trump might attempt a coup was over the top language. The call they did on Monday, apparently at the request of some of the CEOs on the last call, was very strongly against Trump's actions.

Some CEOs told Sonnenfeld that they would be approaching members of Congress, through their lobbyists, that if they proceeded with their plans to contest the electoral vote they would be losing their support.. Sonnefeld said this was the first time he had ever heard this group say something like that. I was wondering if we'd see a few people back down. Money talks.

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2021/01/05/new-ceo-survey-on-public-officials-denying-election-results.html

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

The notion that Chris Coons will in any way blunt Biden and congressional Democrats' legislative agenda is one of the most ass backwards assertions imaginable.  He is naturally going to be the administration's key allies in garnering support among the Senate caucus for Biden's legislative initiatives and he is respected across the ideological spectrum as a workhorse legislator.  The fact he pointed out the obvious that things like PR statehood and changing the composition of the court are off the table doesn't change a damn thing.

Chris Coons is one of those guys who actively forms those sorts of gang of X groups that exist to water down legislation in a vein effort to pick up Republican votes. Those sorts of groups are what is going to be a problem.

There is currently one member of the Capitol Police inside the door of the capitol where protesters are forcing their way in. What a mess.

Archived