U.S. Politics: This DOO-DOO Is Bananas

Mr. Chatywin et al.

Just now, Jaxom 1974 said:

Sorry. Maybe he wasn't my 100% first choice, but I like him and I'm glad he won.

He wasn't my first choice either. In hindsight, he was probably the best candidate against Trump, I'm glad he won too, but inspiring rhetoric is not one of his strengths. Just being real.

2 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Yeah, ‘cause now’s the perfect time to blame Biden for this shit. What a cool contrarian you are.

The fuck are you talking about? Who is blaming Biden? Literally no body. 

Trump only told them to 'stand down' (implies temporary halt) once the police were getting control of the house and senate anyway. If they had managed to hold control of the buildings would he have told them to leave? Or maybe Mark Meadows explained to him he might get charged with something if he didn't call for calm?

5 minutes ago, Relic said:

That's not her point. The phrase "third world" is demeaning. 

The main alternatives are "Global South" and "developing countries."  Way back in the before time I had a discussion about the preferred term in my political sociology class.  The only real consensus was all three seemed to be demeaning in some way.  Best discussion I got all semester though.

Just now, Relic said:

The fuck are you talking about? Who is blaming Biden? Literally no body. 

Should I quote your post again to point it out to you? No, I really don’t wanna give you more breathing room to air your shitty grievances. Make more excuses if you want, I won’t be replying.

3 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Should I quote your post again to point it out to you? No, I really don’t wanna give you more breathing room to air your shitty grievances. Make more excuses if you want, I won’t be replying.

whatever man. either you misread, or are willfully misinterpreting. dont care. 

I strongly suggest that if your main issue when there’s an attempted fascist coup in your country is that someone was being being unintentionally mean about under developed countries, you are either insane or a fucking maniac.

It's not Biden's fault at all, but I do wish he'd stop the "this is not who we are" rhetoric now. (On twitter, haven't seen his spech yet.)

Apparently, the Defense Dept. has denied request to deploy the National Guard.

12 minutes ago, DMC said:

The main alternatives are "Global South" and "developing countries."  Way back in the before time I had a discussion about the preferred term in my political sociology class.  The only real consensus was all three seemed to be demeaning in some way.  Best discussion I got all semester though.

I stick to referring by income level, as done so by the WHO, so low to middle income is fine with me. Of course, this is just one person's opinion from the 'third world'. The term is absolutely demeaning to me, and @Fez can turn their nose and not call it demeaning, but it is unfortunately a term generally used by people from the '1st world' to talk down to people like me and where I'm from. And that is a view shared by *many*. It's totally Fez's choice to ignore that and continue to use the word and not introspect as to how language about other countries is used ( Imo, it's not too far from Trump's thinking re: shithole countries etc)

2 minutes ago, fionwe1987 said:

Seth Moulton, Ayanna Pressly and Ilhan Omar have called for Trump to be removed.

As has the National Association of Manufacturers. Wow.

It needs to happen. ASAP.

1 minute ago, Raja said:

I stick to referring by income level, as done so by the WHO, so low to middle income is fine with me.

There were objections to "Low Income" as well.  Anyway, I agree Third World is the least desirable.  My point was there doesn't seem to be any consensus on the most preferred alternative.  I try to remain conscientious of it in lectures, but I believe I most frequently use developing nations.

Archived