U.S. Politics: This DOO-DOO Is Bananas

Mr. Chatywin et al.

Is Garland as AG supposed to be rubbing Republicans' nose in it? Or positioning his judge successor for the Supreme Court? I'm just not sure what the reasoning for this one is.

Is Garland going to be more or less keen on investigating Republican treason than Yates or Jones would have been?

4 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Is Garland as AG supposed to be rubbing Republicans' nose in it? Or positioning his judge successor for the Supreme Court? I'm just not sure what the reasoning for this one is.

Is Garland going to be more or less keen on investigating Republican treason than Yates or Jones would have been?

Garland is highly respected, this is probably something like a 'you got jobbed' fix, and it opens up that seat for putting younger people in to eventually move to SCOTUS and move other folks up.

5 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Could be neither. Could be Biden thinks he's best positioned to rebuild DOJ after being gutted for 4 years.

Also while I know we're not out of trouble, things look bad down the road etc. - this amused me.

Trump is the first POTUS since 1932 to lose re-election, House and Senate in their 4 years.

Might be churlish of me, but the most satisfying part of the next 4 years will be posting "still your president" pictures of Biden looking at his watch every time I see someone whining about a stolen election on social media.

Oh, and maybe other stuff like re-entering the Paris accords, rebuilding the EPA, safety net overhaul etc....

Just now, IheartIheartTesla said:

Might be churlish of me, but the most satisfying part of the next 4 years will be posting "still your president" pictures of Biden looking at his watch every time I see someone whining about a stolen election on social media.

I plan to say "you lost, get over it" and "fuck your feelings" a whole lot.

Relatedly, the "Fuck your feelings / Trump 2020" shirt I spotted on Amazon a few days after the November election seems to be gone.

10 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I also think it is possible that Garland could be seen as a less partisan AG pick than Jones or Yates.  But I'm not sure how much that is worth. 

Yeah, I don't think that's an issue any more. Manchin will have no issue with Garland or Yates or anyone else; the real reason is to set up the bench. It's notable that Garland was picked literally right after the senate was confirmed going to dem, and that's because that way they can guarantee getting their nom to Garland's seat. If they don't do that, well, we have a fight and potential problem.

One thing this shows is that while Biden is talking nice about working across the aisle it's clear that he does not have any notions of working with McConnell in any constructive way like appointing judges. Biden and his staff at least learned that lesson. 

19 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Fuck I wanna go to this NYSBATS thing. If you bring me I promise to sing Danzig’s Mother at karaoke. 

Sure.  But you'll have to sit through a few panels.  The winter meeting, which is less fun and will be over zoom has panels like:

"As if They Didn't Have Enough Problems Already - Unanswered Tax Questions for Troubled Companies" chaired by yours truly.  The summer meeting is more fun, but the panels are the same.

3 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Pence has released a statetment that he has no power to change votes, that the very idea is antithetical to the concepts under the US Constitution.

He's going to need armed guards for decades.

Statement not on the internet yet.

Well, I think he gets armed guards for at least a while....I guess he burned that bridge....does that mean his 2024 ambitions are toast or does that mean that he's actually more in play than the Ted Cruz's of the world?

12 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

As a continuation of our talking about Senators who are probably going to be an issue, Chris Coons might be another person who could be a problem. 

Sometimes you remind me of the lite version of Trump, Jr and Eric calling out "traitors".

He's just reporting the math here.

6 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Well, I think he gets armed guards for at least a while....I guess he burned that bridge....does that mean his 2024 ambitions are toast or does that mean that he's actually more in play than the Ted Cruz's of the world?

The former President gets a security detail for life, but the VP gets very little, iirc.

Apparently 60 Republican House members objected to Arizona's certification. That's actually less than I thought it'd be. Cruz objected too; not sure how many other Republican senators did. So now we get 2 hours debate in each chamber.

Archived