Watch, Watched, Watching: My Queen's Gambit brings all the boys to the yard

Veltigar

1 hour ago, Ran said:

@RumHam

May be the show I've rewatched the most in recent history. More than the big HBO shows. The writing, the setting, the acting -- just hits perfectly for me.

And yeah, the arcs of Pete and Harry are pretty interesting. That said, Ken > Pete > Harry.

It's all the more impressive considering how cheap AMC was being at the time. I know Weiner almost left after season three over the shows budget, that would have really sucked. 

The end of season three 

When Don convinced Lane to fire them and they sneakily form their own agency 

Always has me grinning like an idiot for some reason. 

4 hours ago, Ran said:

That said, Ken > Pete > Harry.

Indeed.  Poor Ken.  I hope he eventually let go of his (well-earned) spite, settled down with Alex Mack's money, and finally focused on his writing.

Since we have HBO Max for at least a month (and probably not more than two, based on quality so far), we watched:

The Undoing is basically a Lifetime movie expanded to a six hour miniseries, and with vastly upgraded production values and cast.  But still just a cliche Lifetime movie.  Two of my wife’s closest friends said we had to watch this.  Their believability score just took a hit.

WW84 was really boring.  Considering the success of the first movie, and being headlined by the glamazon it girl of Hollywood, it was quite an achievement to make this so dull.  The villains were so bad, and reminiscent of the original Superman franchise.  Word of mouth would have killed this in the theater.

Justice League was OK, but yet another formulaic comic book movie, and it seemed deeply derivative of the Avengers series.  The Flash was a great addition for some comic relief at last, and thankfully it wasn’t so gloomy as Batman vs Superman.  The best I can say is the imagery and color tones are uniquely DC and differentiated from Marvel and they work really well for the comic book oeuvre.  The Flash running in lightning was even better than Marvel’s approach to their speedster character in the X-Men prequels, although both were probably the standout visualizations of superpowers in each CU.

My wife thought that Diane Lane, who plays Superman’s adopted mother, was also the actress playing (with the help of de-aging CGI) Wonder Woman’s aunt/mother(?) who leads the Amazons.  And she makes fun of my inability to recognize faces!?

I've been simultaneously watching Seinfeld and rewatching Deep Space Nine as my comedy/drama mix for the past three months. Just wrapped DS9 and about 4 episodes from wrapping Seinfeld, so I need to think about the next watch projects.

The Leftovers is an easy one as I bailed with about 6 episodes to go, so I'll just pile through Season 3. I did like it, but the show as a whole is quite intense to watch in one go.

Not sure about after that. I've had The Sopranos and Justified on my list for so long it's just embarrassing, but I also have Seasons 3 and 4 of Mr. Robot to polish off. I also feel I should push on with my Star Trek spiel and do a full watch of TOS and TAS. I've seen plenty of episodes of both over the years, but I've definitely never watched either from start to finish, and there's episodes of both I've never seen. 

Not sure what comedy show to pick up next. I've blasted through so much stuff this year in watches and rewatches there's not an enormous amount of stuff left that I'm really keen to see I haven't already checked out. I do have Futurama to finish but I tapped out during the movie phase, the stories are just way, way too long.

14 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Scoot McNairy I could watch in anything.

Have you see Halt and Catch Fire? He is outstanding in that.

Finished Lupin. A gentlemanly thief targets a wealthy family in pursuit of a personal vendetta. Strong Ocean's 11 vibes as others have called out. Cliffhanger endings to a season are a cheap writing trick and rather annoy me, so I dock the season somewhat for that. Otherwise moderately entertaining show with the first episode being the strongest. After that, it goes on to be more grandiose and far-fetched as far as Lupin's schemes go. This might be in proper homage to the short stories (I haven't read any of them other than the Wiki entries and had never even heard of the character before) but they're a little too unbelievable at times for my taste. 

21 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Of course not. I just wanted to give a shout out to the two detectives the series focused on. They were good police. 

Totally. Loving the two detectives working the case, especially Gil and all his reactions to getting picked to partner the more experienced guy. We are only two eps in. But it's quite intense. :ph34r:

16 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Just been rewatching Sopranos (never gets old, still the goat). Think I may try the expanse again after I’m done. 

I'm really curious about the prequel coming out in September. I only just saw on wikipedia they cast young Silvio and that Bernthal is playing Tony's father. 

1 minute ago, Cas Stark said:

Really?  I'm not.  What are the odds it comes close to the original, which I agree is still the greatest TV show of all time.  

I mean David Chase is involved. Idk I’m not so pessimistic that I automatically think everything is going to suck. Sopranos is my favorite show so yeah I’m excited 

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

Really?  I'm not.  What are the odds it comes close to the original, which I agree is still the greatest TV show of all time.  

It's hard to compare movies and tv shows. I'm not expecting it to be The Godfather but to spend a bit more time in that world with some of those character (albeit different versions) hell yeah I'm excited. 

I was a bit concerned at first that maybe he wanted to make a move about the riots and could only get it made as a sopranos prequel. but that doesn't seem to be the case. It's just a little weird because they already flashed back to that summer on the show. 

16 hours ago, Werthead said:

Have you see Halt and Catch Fire? He is outstanding in that.

Also part of the ensemble Western miniseries, Godless, on Netflix, as a gunslinger with failing eyes.

First saw him in Gareth Edward's indie film Monsters, and really took notice of him. His career's gone very well, and deservedly.

9 minutes ago, Ran said:

Also part of the ensemble Western miniseries, Godless, on Netflix, as a gunslinger with failing eyes.

First saw him in Gareth Edward's indie film Monsters, and really took notice of him. His career's gone very well, and deservedly.

He's also solid good in Argo, with Kerry Bishe playing his wife like she does in Halt & Catch Fire.

21 minutes ago, Ran said:

I first saw him in Killing Then Softly, which i now realise has a brilliant cast. It’s a movie I was quite disappointed in after being such a Jesse James fan. 

Then didn’t even recognise him after watching a season of Halt and Catch Fire, even if he looked familiar to me. He’s fantastic in everything though, I loved him in Halt and in Narcos he somehow manages to play a character who is almost the exact opposite of how I imagine him and I never blinked at that 

2 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

I mean David Chase is involved. Idk I’m not so pessimistic that I automatically think everything is going to suck. Sopranos is my favorite show so yeah I’m excited 

I’m definitely looking forward to it. Sucks it got pushed back again. 

Archived