Watch, Watched, Watching: My Queen's Gambit brings all the boys to the yard

Veltigar

8 hours ago, WarGalley said:

Over the past several weeks (probably months), I've been watching clips of The Sopranos on Youtube. It tides me over well enough and is easy to sneak in during work breaks now that I work from home. I'm pretty sure I've watched every single Sopranos clips posted on Youtube by now. Either that or I've run out of different ways to query for new content. 

My latest favorite is: 

That quote from Christopher is referenced a lot ('the regularness of life is too hard for me') by Michael Imperioli in the podcast as as explanation for why Christopher can't just get out of the business and do something else etc. I'd like to re-watch some of the episodes as whole episodes after hearing them discussed in great detail. But good point about the youtube clips though.

6 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I’m really enjoying Talking Sopranos. They are bringing on tons of great guests, and Michael Imperioli is a delight. Just like Gandolfini was the polar opposite of Tony, Michael is just absolutely nothing like Christopher. And we get his perspective as both an actor and a writer on the show. 

Yeah, he's very good. You can see how he's prepped for each episode and looked up the references and music, even down to song lyrics. I admire that attention to detail.

All the guests from production (by which I mean everyone who wasn't an actor) provide a really interesting insight. I think I would find it a bit samey if they had 100% actors as guests on the podcast - that can get a bit repetitive, with the same questions over and over. I'm trying to speed up my listening so that I can catch up to date, submit a AMA question and win me some neat Bose headphones lol. 

Among the many reasons Lupin is so popular across the Netflix 'verse:

... which is to say “Lupin” is, at first glance, your typical heist series. What makes the show truly compelling is its subtle commentary on race and xenophobia. We see it from the show’s opening scene, which shows Assane reporting to the Louvre for work as a janitor, alongside a group of largely Black and Brown contractors. It’s a striking image that becomes central to his planned caper at the Louvre; Assane tells his accomplices that his employers see him “but they don’t really look” at him....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2021/01/21/lupin-netflix-race/

Just finished Apple TV+'s Ted Lasso... I guess this streaming service does have a reason to exist :D I have heard hardly any buzz about this, but this was another great show from 2020, which has offered some surprisingly good television all things considered.

This show was low-key hilarious throughout, but above all it was wholesome. Not just a little, but like the epitome of that word, like this show is able to elevate being wholesome into an art form. Jason Sudekis' coach Lasso is like a Labrador  trained to bring you hot chocolate and ice cream on a rainy Sunday. I usually don't care that much for sport movies (Some notable exceptions like the Rocky franchise not withstanding) and the Premier League football scene with its wags and foreign money are a pretty big turn-off to me, but they really struck a nerve with this one.

Not only will I be there for when the next two seasons come out, but I'm quite sure that I will be rewatching this first season in the years to come. I can perfectly imagine putting on an episode or two of this series on a shitty day to feel better and those types of films/series are quite rare and have to be cherished.  

Determining my favorite TV-series of 2020 has just gotten a whole lot harder! :D 

EDIT: Spoilers for Rocky, Rocky II and Ted Lasso below.

Spoiler

I really enjoyed the way they wrapped up this season. It's always a risk, because most films/series don't know they will be back, but I intent to rate series of sport movies higher if they don't start with the big win first. Rocky II is one of the blander installments of the series, but just because it gives us the satisfaction of victory which the first Rocky denied us in the end, makes it memorable.

I'm looking forward immensely to see the team climb out of The Championship in the second season and win the League in season three. The groundwork they laid now will make those victories (if indeed they materialize) feel worth our while.

I'd also like to use this spoilerbox to give a shout out to the Trent plot line. There were many great performances on this show and in many ways the Trent character stands for everything I despise about modern football, but damn it if the little note Coach Lasso send to Jamie in the end wasn't a tear jerker.

Finished up the Crown, it was fine but I hate every single person on it. And whil I know its a drama and not a biopic, it did seem to take a few questionable liberties with the narrative. 

Looks gorgeous though and great performances all around. I’m just lying to myself if i said i wouldnt watch the next season

Also, while watching I realised I’ve watched far too much Amazon Prime stuff as i kept tapping the screen for the X-Ray feature when i wanted to know who an actor/actress was, or someone’s name. Anyone else ever found themselves doing this?

1 hour ago, Veltigar said:

Just finished Apple TV+'s Ted Lasso... I guess this streaming service does have a reason to exist :D I have heard hardly any buzz about this, but this was another great show from 2020, which has offered some surprisingly good television all things considered.

This show was low-key hilarious throughout, but above all it was wholesome. Not just a little, but like the epitome of that word, like this show is able to elevate being wholesome into an art form. Jason Sudekis' coach Lasso is like a Labrador  trained to bring you hot chocolate and ice cream on a rainy Sunday. I usually don't care that much for sport movies (Some notable exceptions like the Rocky franchise not withstanding) and the Premier League football scene with its wags and foreign money are a pretty big turn-off to me, but they really struck a nerve with this one.

Not only will I be there for when the next two seasons come out, but I'm quite sure that I will be rewatching this first season in the years to come. I can perfectly imagine putting on an episode or two of this series on a shitty day to feel better and those types of films/series are quite rare and have to be cherished.  

Determining my favorite TV-series of 2020 has just gotten a whole lot harder! :D 

EDIT: Spoilers for Rocky, Rocky II and Ted Lasso below.

Reveal hidden contents

I really enjoyed the way they wrapped up this season. It's always a risk, because most films/series don't know they will be back, but I intent to rate series of sport movies higher if they don't start with the big win first. Rocky II is one of the blander installments of the series, but just because it gives us the satisfaction of victory which the first Rocky denied us in the end, makes it memorable.

I'm looking forward immensely to see the team climb out of The Championship in the second season and win the League in season three. The groundwork they laid now will make those victories (if indeed they materialize) feel worth our while.

I'd also like to use this spoilerbox to give a shout out to the Trent plot line. There were many great performances on this show and in many ways the Trent character stands for everything I despise about modern football, but damn it if the little note Coach Lasso send to Jamie in the end wasn't a tear jerker.

Ted Lasso is brilliant. It's food for your soul; you just feel good after watching.

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Finished up the Crown, it was fine but I hate every single person on it.

It's gotten to the point where you have to watch it like watching Arrested Development.

I've been watching a lot of Chopped recently.  It's fun and very easy to watch.  Yet, it always makes me laugh.  This show features the best, brightest, most creative chefs in the business, but every episode at least one contestant inevitably runs into the show's fully-stocked pantry and grabs either apples or bacon.

Also, I have noticed something different in the new episodes.  In the past, the contestants would prepare 4 plates each round.  However, they now prepare 5 plates each round, and I can't figure out why.

@VeltigarTed Lasso was my #1 for 2020 - and there were a lot of great shows! Just an absolutely perfect show for that dismal year. I recommended it to every single person I could - alas, hardly anyone has Apple+. I freely admit to happy-crying into my beard in a few spots, something usually reserved only for Disney/Pixar's emotional trickery for whatever reason.

Oddly, the only person I know who didn't enjoy it is my Northern Irish best pal, who is a Man U supporter and hates the shit out of Man City. I figured he'd delight in the show. He's just such a miserable twat that he said it was too stupid to enjoy. Without exaggeration, I've rarely been more irritated with the lad. Can't win em all, I suppose.

I had my parents watch it with me (my second run-through, it absolutely is a re-watchable joy). They just loved it to death, despite my often having to pause to translate the heavier accents and humor, which I became accustomed to after years working English and Irish pubs in New York. I agree that I'm very excited to see the second and third seasons.

I really enjoyed "Alice in borderland". It stalled a bit in the last half but those first four episodes, especially 3, were great. 

I'm also enjoying "barbarians" it definitely falls between "Vikings" and "last kingdom" in quality but has yet to hit the OTT of "Spartacus" or class of "Rome"

2 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

@VeltigarTed Lasso was my #1 for 2020 - and there were a lot of great shows! Just an absolutely perfect show for that dismal year. I recommended it to every single person I could - alas, hardly anyone has Apple+. I freely admit to happy-crying into my beard in a few spots, something usually reserved only for Disney/Pixar's emotional trickery for whatever reason.

Oddly, the only person I know who didn't enjoy it is my Northern Irish best pal, who is a Man U supporter and hates the shit out of Man City. I figured he'd delight in the show. He's just such a miserable twat that he said it was too stupid to enjoy. Without exaggeration, I've rarely been more irritated with the lad. Can't win em all, I suppose.

I had my parents watch it with me (my second run-through, it absolutely is a re-watchable joy). They just loved it to death, despite my often having to pause to translate the heavier accents and humor, which I became accustomed to after years working English and Irish pubs in New York. I agree that I'm very excited to see the second and third seasons.

The weirdest thing is that the original character is not supposed to be very sympathetic. I looked up the NBC skits on which this was based and while they recycle a lot of jokes, the Ted Lasso character there is far more of a stereotypical ignorant bragging American.

Going from that character to the one we see in the series quite a stretch, so definitely a brilliant leap of the imagination by the series' creators. Long live creative iteration ;) 

Glad to see that you generally found the show to be favorably received. I'm going to start recommending this to people and perhaps start a thread about it here as well. It feels a bit like Derry Girls or the first season of The Last Kingdom, a chance discovery that deserves to be seen by more people!

As to your mate

Spoiler

Have you tried giving him a hand-written note with a toy soldier? Perhaps he is dealing with some deepseated issues and that's why he behaves like a twat about this show ;) 

11 hours ago, Mexal said:

Ted Lasso is brilliant. It's food for your soul; you just feel good after watching.

:grouphug: I feel like we should start a club together. This is the beginning of a movement! :cool4:

I've very, very slowly been making my way through Hannibal- I'm almost at the end of season 2. I respect the show a lot - the acting, design, and cinematography are amazing. But plotwise and characterwise, it's never really clicked for me. The closest I got to getting really into it was end of season 1 and beginning of season 2. Since then, though, it's become an all out mood show and I feel the characters haven't been served well. I'll definitely finish season 2 (it's been a while since I've read the books, but I think I remember where all this Vargas stuff is going...) but I might call it quits there.

5 hours ago, Caligula_K3 said:

I've very, very slowly been making my way through Hannibal- I'm almost at the end of season 2. I respect the show a lot - the acting, design, and cinematography are amazing. But plotwise and characterwise, it's never really clicked for me. The closest I got to getting really into it was end of season 1 and beginning of season 2. Since then, though, it's become an all out mood show and I feel the characters haven't been served well. I'll definitely finish season 2 (it's been a while since I've read the books, but I think I remember where all this Vargas stuff is going...) but I might call it quits there.

If you are going to quit on hannibal, before the start if S3 is the time to do it. 

Finished watching the Night Stalker doc. We had an extended discussion afterwards about the death penalty. It does seem pretty fucked up to me that you can decide a person is unequivocally guilty of a series of horrible crimes and decide that justice is best served by awarding the death penalty...and then...you just leave them locked up for 20 odd years! What's the point of that, even? Get rid of the death penalty and just give them X amount of life sentences served consecutively instead or life without parole.

Also had a discussion about the Satanic Panic - people losing their minds over a pentacle, ffs. Talk about missing the point. A person being a mass murderer and rapist isn't sufficient to make them 'evil'? Anyway, #hailsatan.

Archived