Watch, Watched, Watching: My Queen's Gambit brings all the boys to the yard

Veltigar

1 hour ago, Isis said:

Might binge this tomorrow while I'm off. Dealing with some super heavy negative stuff IRL so kinda fits.

Well it wont pick you up. It's depressing (though occasionally uplifting) as shit. It's very very good though. 

13 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Well it wont pick you up. It's depressing (though occasionally uplifting) as shit. It's very very good though. 

Did you finish it? If so,

Spoiler

Was Keeley Hawes not just amazing in that final episode, when she entered the scene at the hospital? We were transfixed.

48 minutes ago, Ran said:

Did you finish it? If so,

Reveal hidden contents

Was Keeley Hawes not just amazing in that final episode, when she entered the scene at the hospital? We were transfixed.

Finished episode 3. I'm having to spread it out to stop myself bursting into tears every night. 

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

You mean for it to hit HBO MAX? Cause it’s already out there online places. I actually watched it on YouTube. 

I will probably wait for it on HBO MAX.

The few times I tried to view it online or YouTube I bumped up against ppv features or it said it wasn't available I thought? Maybe i'll try again? I had seen previous episodes on YouTube in the past before. All I can tell you currently is I've seen thru S3.

Eta: I'm currently streaming with Firestick after having switched over from Roku.

Gomorrah is laughably awful...  high level gangsters --when it's convenient for the plot-- are always alone, and readily accessible ... So many decisions they make make little or no sense... 

Spoiler

Don P escapes from jail... is laying low.. until he decides to live in a mansion ... FFS really?

Also... Resident Alien is hilarious... Alan Tudyk is a treasure. 

19 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

Gomorrah is laughably awful...  high level gangsters --when it's convenient for the plot-- are always alone, and readily accessible ... So many decisions they make make little or no sense... 

Hide contents

Don P escapes from jail... is laying low.. until he decides to live in a mansion ... FFS really?

Easily one of the worst takes I’ve ever read on here. 

The superb cinematography, the lighting, the locations, the design -- that's what I watch Gommorah for, mostly.  It's like viewing in situ 16th and 17th Neapolitan art.

The show has the further benefit of the EU thing, for filming in other countries, places that I'll never see, like Bulgaria.  Of course season three, which is the one up on HBO, was released in 2017, before anyone who wasn't a Dr. Faucci, working at the W.H.O. or agencies like the CDC dreamed of a pandemic.  There is a scene, where a truck is being unloaded and everyone is wearing masks, and I didn't even blink -- until the mind goes, "O, 2017, toxic chemicals not covid."

My only problem with it is, again, the pov business, of, as watcher, expected to identify and sympathize with truly evil brutal criminals as protagonists.

Finished The Dig on Netflix, a dramatized account of the discovery of the Sutton Hoo treasure. Being a huge fan of Ralph Fiennes, and thinking Carey Mulligan is among the best actors working today, while also being very interested in the Anglo-Saxons... well, easy enough to watch! There's a Terrence Malick-style cinematography going on that is quite beautiful at points, cameras tracking along as people tramp about the fields of Suffolk at golden hour, although in the first half of the film this was all-too-often matched to an overly loud, overly jaunty score that pulled away from the visual poetry (the score tones down quite a bit in the second half, for whatever reason). The problem with the second half, OTOH, is that it becomes a bit melodramatic as it clumsily brings in some side characters to have a forlorn romance to spice things up. The actors -- Lily James (perhaps best known for playing Lady Rose on Downton Abbey) and Johnny Flynn (a substantially younger half-brother of GoT's own Jerome Flynn) -- are fine, but it's just a bit soppy and underwhelming.

Fiennes is wonderful, though, as is Mulligan. 

Most of the way through Space Sweepers, the South Korean SF space adventure that's ... well, yes, reviews that said it is derivative are not wrong. It has bits of everything, while barely developing any of the characters. Fun, mindless candy, I guess, although the editing in action scenes is so choppy that I think they sap some of the fun out of it. Richard Armitage chews much scenery as the lead villain.

51 minutes ago, Ran said:

Finished The Dig on Netflix, a dramatized account of the discovery of the Sutton Hoo treasure. Being a huge fan of Ralph Fiennes, and thinking Carey Mulligan is among the best actors working today, while also being very interested in the Anglo-Saxons... well, easy enough to watch! There's a Terrence Malick-style cinematography going on that is quite beautiful at points, cameras tracking along as people tramp about the fields of Suffolk at golden hour, although in the first half of the film this was all-too-often matched to an overly loud, overly jaunty score that pulled away from the visual poetry (the score tones down quite a bit in the second half, for whatever reason). The problem with the second half, OTOH, is that it becomes a bit melodramatic as it clumsily brings in some side characters to have a forlorn romance to spice things up. The actors -- Lily James (perhaps best known for playing Lady Rose on Downton Abbey) and Johnny Flynn (a substantially younger half-brother of GoT's own Jerome Flynn) -- are fine, but it's just a bit soppy and underwhelming.

Fiennes is wonderful, though, as is Mulligan. 

Pretty much agree with this. I wish they had left that romance out and showed us more of what was found. 

I think my like of The Curse of Oak Island made me want to watch this show. I started watching this show around S3 and it was pretty slow going but they are really finding some very interesting stuff now.

I was in Koln Germany once and we were able to see a Roman ruin that was unearthed, had an amazing mosaic floor. A few blocks from that was a current dig in what was a Jewish neighborhood that seemed to be just beginning, not sure on the age though, but it was interesting to see some of that in person.

Continuing to admire Gomorrah season 3 ever more.  A big reason for this, I think, is there are very few built sets, and little to no CGI.  It's all real stuff.  Well, presumably the brutal and grisly killings and maimings and fire bombed buildings, aren't real, though the destroyed vehicles are, probably?  It's so beautiful to look at.

On 2/5/2021 at 8:05 AM, Nictarion said:

Easily one of the worst takes I’ve ever read on here. 

Yep, one of the things that makes Gomorrah so genuine is that your living the story through the gangsters eyes,  where 99% of such stories would boringly and predictably be told through the law enforcement angle.

Plus it's so refreshing to have this genre shown to us through a legit old Italian setting and story which is a refreshing break from the Americanized take on "the old country/ mafiosa" .

I could go on but long story short Gomorrah wins because it smashes all the genres stereotypical presentations and oozes in a refreshing realism.

Eta: the soundtrack is outstanding as well.

6 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

it's so refreshing to have this genre shown to us through a legit old Italian setting and story which is a refreshing break from the Americanized take on "the old country/ mafiosa" .

In reality, so to speak, ah-hem, is how far back these actions reach in history, further back even than Julius Caesar, in the way the cities were organized by the various brotherhoods that kept the 'colleges' of the neighborhoods (the Suburra of Rome, where Julius Caeasar grew up), who controlled all sort of crime and extortion, and provided 'protection' etc. and at least as brutal in enforcement and as immune from consequence.

And yet, somehow, all these cities ended up with astonishing troves of truly great art, even while some of the greatest artists also were member and criminals, and rolling in the dark streets.

All of this is in Gomorrah, which really, I think is infinitely superior to "Roma."

Archived