Watch, Watched, Watching: My Queen's Gambit brings all the boys to the yard

Veltigar

8 hours ago, felice said:

Yeah, the engine that generates more power the faster it moves is just a bit of magic tech you need to accept and move on like warp drive or transporters. More problematic is that the makers have no sense of scale at all; the internal dimensions of the carriages vary wildly from set to set, and they have people apparently walking the whole length of the train (which must be at least 30km) like it's no big deal. But aside from that, it's a good show, well worth giving a try.

It's truly the train aspect I have trouble with. If it was a big ass boat or something or some kind of enormous future dirigible, fine but trains are so two dimensional! And require pre-laid and maintained tracks. If/when civilization collapses, the trains will be the first thing to go.

53 minutes ago, Vaughn said:

It's truly the train aspect I have trouble with. If it was a big ass boat or something or some kind of enormous future dirigible, fine but trains are so two dimensional! And require pre-laid and maintained tracks. If/when civilization collapses, the trains will be the first thing to go.

I think the two-dimensional (or should that be one-dimensional?) aspect is thematically important, with the ruling class at one end and refugees at the other. And given the situation, including the reliance on the magic needs-to-be-constantly-in-motion power source, a train isn't the worst idea. Boats are out since the ocean would be freezing, dirigibles on that scale seem impractical and probably couldn't move fast enough, and centrifugal force would be a problem for a fixed installation that spins to move the power source. If you need a land vehicle that moves quickly and steadily, the train is the way to go. The resources available for constructing Snowpiercer and its tracks would have been staggering, with the richest people in the world paying fortunes for tickets. It's modular so you can keep building more carriages and tracks until the workers all freeze to death. And maintenance wouldn't be that big a deal in the short term, with only the one train using the tracks and no life or even snow to mess with them. It's obviously not going to be sustainable indefinitely, but in the absence of any better ideas...

Second season of Dead to Me has seemingly taken a dramatic downward quality dive. It's hard to see how this show is really justifying carrying on after the first season, and in many ways it is struggling to find a reason to exist. 

The big story point of season 2 really just feels like a retread of season 1's, reversing the situation a little and trying to inject some level of drama or suspense. The problem is the show often just totally forgets what it's trying to do and wanders off plotwise to just be a soap about a bunch of people. 

There is the real sense that the writers were really scrabbling around trying to find something to add to the momentum, but it isn't really working. Every new relationship they add in feels contrived and plot driven rather than organic, to the point of ridiculousness. 

I didn't exactly have high hopes for the show going in, but season 1 surprised me by being just fun enough to keep me engaged, with some great performances. Now though, most of the interesting characters appear to just be puppets to hang the plot on.

25 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Second season of Dead to Me has seemingly taken a dramatic downward quality dive. It's hard to see how this show is really justifying carrying on after the first season, and in many ways it is struggling to find a reason to exist. 

I had similar thoughts when I watched it last year. The third season will be its last, FWIW.

10 minutes ago, Ran said:

I had similar thoughts when I watched it last year. The third season will be its last, FWIW.

Yeah seems I'm not alone. I'm not totally against the use of coincidence in the show, it often treads a fine line between believability and zaniness, the introduction of a twin is seemingly played for laughs on some level. However at some point it just becomes clear that it's stretching the limits of what you can get away with, and events happen because they add incident and drama rather than being the natural consequence of things that have been set up or character. 

I agree also, I'm a massive fan of both leads and Marsden just proves again hes better than some boring old Cyclops, they do deserve a better show than this. It is a shame because actually the first season did a good job of presenting 2 interesting characters and delving into who they are, that was it's strength. Second season that seems to have fallen away.

3 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Quit after 3 episodes. Massive let down. 

On to the 2nd season of DS9.  First season over all was slightly better than I remember, but I did watch a lot of it on 1.5x speed.  :laugh:

Good 3-parter to start off season 2, and now a Trill episode, which I'm a fan of.  Only thing is they evacuate the station last ep and they do it again this one.  :dunno:

6 hours ago, Heartofice said:

The big story point of season 2 really just feels like a retread of season 1's, reversing the situation a little and trying to inject some level of drama or suspense. The problem is the show often just totally forgets what it's trying to do and wanders off plotwise to just be a soap about a bunch of people. 

There is the real sense that the writers were really scrabbling around trying to find something to add to the momentum, but it isn't really working. Every new relationship they add in feels contrived and plot driven rather than organic, to the point of ridiculousness. 

I didn't exactly have high hopes for the show going in, but season 1 surprised me by being just fun enough to keep me engaged, with some great performances. Now though, most of the interesting characters appear to just be puppets to hang the plot on.

I've only watched the first 1/2 of the first season but it sounds like it has 'the OC' problem of consuming plot too quickly to sustain quality.

Watched News of the World on Netflix. It was a fine Tom Hanks vehicle, and there's a moment towards the end -- just a look in his eyes as he wrestled with whether a decision he made was right or not -- that really was a fine example of his skill as an actor, conveying so much with the subtlest of expressions. Not a fantastic film, but an enjoyable one. I will say that they streamlined the source novel a lot, and I'm not 100% sure that it wouldn't have worked better to go more along the lines of what the source material had. 

Spent the last week or so watching actual movies like The Godfather, Heat, and The Deer Hunter, so I decided to give my brain a night off and watched Crank.

Is this movie bad?  Yup.

Is this movie fucking awesome?  Also yes.

A key plot point in the film is how big Jason Statham's dick is.  How you feel about that information says a lot about you as a person.

There are two types of people in this world.  The type of people who hear that and say, "Okay, I'm totally on board" and people I don't want to hang out with.

I started watching Alice in Borderland. Great stuff so far. 

I'm also watching Capitani a crime series from Luxemburg. Not bad so far. 

I'm watching both with subtitles and despite the flaws Netflix has it is still the best streaming service if you want to watch stuff in the OV. 

We've been watching Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist and surprisingly, really enjoying it. Weird, sometimes funny with a lot of musical numbers that can get annoying at times but it certainly tackles some tough topics and pulls the heart strings. We're enjoying it thoroughly.

Rewatching Timker Tailor Soldier Spy.

Magnificent film, excelletn adaptation.

Brilliant cast; Gary Oldman, John Hurt, Benedict Cumberbatch, Mark Strong, Colin Firth, Toby Young, Tom Hardy, Ciarin Hinds, Kathy Burke, Stephen Graham...

Archived