Watch, Watched, Watching: My Queen's Gambit brings all the boys to the yard

Veltigar

8 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I didn’t think much of it first time but have seen it dozens of times since and I actually think it gets better every single time. It really is one of the most romantic movies I know, because it’s about 2 people who genuinely share a connection that feels real. Even if their relationship is often a mess.

Plus the way the movies deals with memory is phenomenal, probably the most accurate on screen version of how I think memories and dreams kinda feel. 

Those scenes where he is losing his memories of Clementine and trying to desperately cling to them are just wonderful, so sad and so touching. Even more when you realise he’s talking to himself and his own made up version of Clem.

Agreed on all counts - although I did like it the first time it definitely is one of those films that keeps improving on repeat viewings.  Probably my favorite pure "romantic" movie..maybe ever?

Also gotta admit I just really didn't get Synecdoche and honestly haven't even bothered with anything of Kaufman's since.  That might just be my laziness though, I was a big fan of his all his early stuff.  May also be subconsciously I don't think he's disciplined enough to be directing.

One more vote for absolutely adoring Eternal Sunshine. In the years after its release, I went through a similar, um, roller-coaster of a relationship (ie, a day of perfect bliss followed by three days of fighting, rinse and repeat). One of our biggest fights, she asked, "Am I worth it?", and I said yes, and she cried and I cried and all that. The conversation at the finale of Eternal Sunshine mirrored my own feelings so closely back then. More than a decade since I've spoken to that one, and never will again - I literally "Eternal Sunshined" her, deleting all our photos together, burning mementos, all that crap you do on your first real heartbreak. But damned if my lip won't start quivering a good five minutes before their final lines. My all-time favorite end-to-a-movie, and I doubt it'll ever be surpassed. Again, that's very much my own intense emotional connection. I know plenty of people who thought it was little more than a "Meh?" and I don't fault them.

Okay, I kind of do, but that's ok.

12 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Yeah, I read it. Good summation although I'm not sure whether the final argument goes for Another Round. Is Denmark a nation knows for making good movies? You have Vinterberg and Refn but apart from their filmography (which isn't entirely Danish, Vinterberg made Far From the Madding Crowd before Another Round and Refn's ego has been too big for Denmark for years now) I can't really think of Denmark as a film-making nation.

Going by what you say and my meagre knowledge on it, :agree:

I know about the different 'Woods but it's kind of a mouthful to refer to.

16 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

So as I was saying, just because Hindi (Bollywood) is the predominant language doesn't mean that we can equate it with Indian cinema. There are a lot of other 'woods'. Molly. Tolly. Kolly. Hell, Jolly. Don't ask me which one is which language. Tamil. Malayalam and Bengali are the most intellectual, art cinema culture rich ones. In the reverse order of my listing.

There are a few aspects of diversity you mention where it isn't strictly speaking number one (I recall a study from a few years ago that put Singapore on top) and linguistically speaking it has been well documented that Papua New Guinea cannot be beaten for diversity (They have like +800 languages)., but I reckon India ranks high on all the aspects above and therefore is the most diverse across all categories.

:cheers: Thanks. Though dialects are also taken as separate languages in places. If we take individual diversity like in languages or so, there may be contenders, but I've no doubt about the overall topper. Hell, major religions like Hinduism, Sikhism, Buddhism, Jainism etc were born there, though only the first one is as prevalent as it was, the others have migrated their power centers to  East Asian nations. Topographically, it's paradise for modern explorers of unchartered territories like me. Deserts in the West, Highest level of rainfall hilly tropical forests in the East, Flood plains in the Central, Lots of Coastal areas, couple of Island chains, Himalayas and other ranges with snow peaks in the North, arguably second most diverse in biodiversity and wildlife, flora fauna avian life and marine culture (I'm an amateur wildlife photographer). As a foodie,... No, that one's too large and topic derailing. I'm salivating right now. 

But as a cinebuff here, Tamil, Malayalam and Bengali cinema are the best with occasional good uns from Hindi and Telugu. Too bad the sheer bulk of mainstream 'Masala' crap has overshadowed the art culture, independent indie ones. I'd love to go on about the music too, but nope. 

About Jallikattu, I forgot something I should have mentioned. The title is an ironic take on the 2500 year old sport of bull taming in the neighboring state of Tamilnadu (LJP is a Malayali director from Kerala). It was recently in the news 5/6 years ago due to a ban by the Centre on it after PETA (you know which one) intervened with international animal rights pressure. The massive ensuing protests reinstated the sport eventually 

Spoiler

At the Marina Beach, Chennai, Tamilnadu, South India. Second longest beach I hear 

On further research (a wildlife enthusiast loves all life) I found that the sport involves no animal casualties, just the rare foolhardy humans gored to death. Unlike the Spanish fighting version where the bull is either killed by the 'victorious' matador or in the case of surviving and killing the caped idiota, it's butchered, here the untamed bull and its owner are declared victors and get higher prizes than the would be/wannabe tamers. Taming in this context just involves hanging on to the hump for a stipulated period of time/number of leaps/jumps, as the bull rampages through the small crowd of 'brave' men risking their lives for glory. Interestingly, it started off as a sport to give brides' hand to most macho male in the ancient Sangam Tamil era. It's not relevant now, just a vestige of ancient culture and tradition. The bull is honored and worshipped, unlike in Spain etc. PETA isn't making any noise about the cruel barbarian practice in Europe

Spoiler

Although legal in Spain, some Spanish cities, such as Calonge, Tossa de Mar, Vilamacolum and La Vajol, have outlawed the practice of bullfighting. There are only a few countries throughout the world where this practice still takes place (Spain, France, Portugal, Mexico, Colombia, Venezuela, Peru, and Ecuador).

Lijo Jose Pellissery's film is a wacko take on the toxic masculinity and chauvinistic, misogynistic male culture, false bravado, defining 'bravery' and courage and how it treads the line with stupidity, innate human proclivity to violence (he aesthetized it tho) and prehistoric vestiges. 

Imdb was flooded with reviews of 1/10 or so ratings by (Tamil) users only because of the name which they alleged insulted their culture and traditions, conveniently/ignorantly ignoring the other facets of the 90 odd minute long piece of fine cinema. Compared to Spanish Bullfighting, Jallikattu can remain forever. But this hostile reaction by ethnic Tamils to the film title is uncalled for IMHO. 

PS

LTTE and the Sri Lankan Civil War, bomb assassination of Rajiv Gandhi for UN Indian Peace keeping force is proof enough that oppressed Tamils who are made to feel deprived of their culture, rights and traditions can be easily swayed to extremism by impassioned flaming speeches by elements with vested interests.

Oh and India wouldn't be where it is today in the global scenario without the aforementioned prickly conservatism of a few Tamils, and Malayalis, Bengalis too. Nehru decided to keep English only till 1965 after independence in '47. But imposition of Hindi was opposed by the three mentioned states and English still continued. If it hadn't remained, what happened with Sinhalese in Ceylon would have been a sunny day compared to what might have happened in India.

Lol. Looks like a post for the international thread, not a light movie discussion one. 

I'll suggest one last film with the last context in mind 

Cannes Palme D'or winner. French. Canadian in a way. Tamil at heart. 

A video clip of Jallikattu if you are interested 

Adiós Amigos 

Archived