Great, Unnecessary Things

CamiloRP

For the last week I've been thinking over and over about the Mercy chapter, specifically the play.

“The seven-faced god has cheated me,” he began, snarling the words. “My noble sire he made of purest gold, and gold he made my siblings, boy and girl. But I am formed of darker stuff, of bones and blood and clay…"

I love how this is written, it sounds like great dialogue for an old play. 

Question is, what minor/unimportant thing do you love from the books?

Another example of mine is Ser Clayton Suggs. He was born and raised in Fleabottom, and his coat of arms is a flying pig, which makes me think that he dreamed of being a knight as a boy, and people would reply 'when pigs fly' or something like that.

I’ve always been interested in the brindle men and Ibbenese. An Ibbenese merchant that chews the fat with his customers. Always haggling for every copper. Maybe he has a bridle for a wife/bodyguard who’s  always barking at him. An x-whaler who cusses like a sailor and runs a mercer company. An Ibbenese selling luxury fabrics, I mean, what’s not to love.

On 1/6/2021 at 3:15 PM, CamiloRP said:

Another example of mine is Ser Clayton Suggs. He was born and raised in Fleabottom, and his coat of arms is a flying pig, which makes me think that he dreamed of being a knight as a boy, and people would reply 'when pigs fly' or something like that.

Did you get this from Preston Jacobs? 

5 hours ago, Jekse said:

Did you get this from Preston Jacobs? 

No, is he doing theories on such unimportant things?

27 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

I actually get a kick out of the sexually provocative names.  Manwoody, Whoresbane, Lucamore the Lusty, Laygood.   Entirely juvenile and I will giggle like an 8 year-old at them.  

Abssolutely!

7 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

I actually get a kick out of the sexually provocative names.  Manwoody, Whoresbane, Lucamore the Lusty, Laygood.   Entirely juvenile and I will giggle like an 8 year-old at them. 

Don't forget the distinguished Golden Company soldier, Little Pussy. 

And yes I too giggle like an immature 8 year old whenever GRRM pulls out an innuendo or a sex scene. Like I don't know one that doesn't elicit a giggle out of me, be it the names, the Fat Pink Mast, Arianne's gravity bending nipples, or all the talk of taking an army from behind or ramming up the Mud Gate. Or in Stannis's case getting taken from behind while ramming up the Mud Gate.

6 hours ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Don't forget the distinguished Golden Company soldier, Little Pussy. 

And yes I too giggle like an immature 8 year old whenever GRRM pulls out an innuendo or a sex scene. Like I don't know one that doesn't elicit a giggle out of me, be it the names, the Fat Pink Mast, Arianne's gravity bending nipples, or all the talk of taking an army from behind or ramming up the Mud Gate. Or in Stannis's case getting taken from behind while ramming up the Mud Gate.

Made me recall more terms for your list.  Some of it is so silly and childish I wonder if this is intentional on GRRM's part.   

Dickon Manwoody.   That is the name that gives me fits.   Seem to have forgotten the given name in original post.   

Not sexual, but the image of Harys Swyft strutting around in a yellow doublet, yellow cloak, yellow breaches, and a chicken sigil on his breast always cracks me up. All hail the Knight of the Yellow Chicken!

I am on a reread, and this made me chuckle. Since the american publisher is "bantam books"

“Even Lannisters are not so blind stupid as that,” Ser Marq Piper snapped. He was a swaggering bantam rooster of a youth, too young and too hot-blooded for Ned’s taste, though a fast friend of Catelyn’s brother, Edmure Tully.

Archived