US Politics: Autogolpe big or golpe home

Kalbear

2 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Basically, it’s Trump. A “coup” implies military backing, which would be incorrect.

A self-coup or auto-coup can have military backing, it usually does.  The differentiation between traditional coups is the leadership/existing regime itself assumes authoritarian/dictatorial powers.

1 minute ago, larrytheimp said:

Corri Bush says shes going to introduce a resolution to expel any MOC's who incited this shit.  

Hawley's on photographs and twitter as an inciter.

10 minutes ago, Fez said:

Like I said, I'm not going to get into a tangent on it; too much important stuff happening today. But that's what I mean by it.

Anyway, looks like Rand Paul is not going to be an asshole today. Whether the coup attempt changed his mind or he truly was always going to say this, we'll never know though.

Fuck Rand Paul and the horse he rode in on. His father, for all his many, many, faults, was a man of principal. Rand needs to paint a weather vane on his shield.

3 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Hawley's on photographs and twitter as an inciter.

Everyone's freaking out about him holding his fist up to the crowd before they went from rioters to protestors.  I'd be careful about calling that incitement.  Didn't see any of his tweets or quotes but I'm not really comfortable calling that picture incitement.

ETA: Just imagining how this would be flipped around, on say AOC

1 minute ago, larrytheimp said:

Everyone's freaking out about him holding his fist up to the crowd before they went from rioters to protestors.  I'd be careful about calling that incitement.  Didn't see any of his tweets or quotes but I'm not really comfortable calling that picture incitement.

That photo alone, probably not, His intent to contest the vote and his rhetoric leading up to it? Yeah, that photo tracks.

4 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

I'm not really comfortabl

So what? I am very comfortable calling what is what it is, and have been all along.  All of them must be denied seating.

Anyone familiar with the lead up to secession and the coups of South America recognized what was going on.  It is what it is and he all the others have done every bit they could to incite this very day all along, every day.  They are on tape, they are on radio, they are on twitter, they are on all media doing it.

Thus I AM NOT SURPRISED.  Horrified, yes, but not in the least surprised.  Not even surprised no steps were taken to secure the Capitol of the US and to protect the members of congress.

I don't read quite as much into this statement as Kristol does, but interesting that Sec. Miller is willing to (somewhat) throw Trump under the bus by name-checking everyone else that he is contact with to secure the situation:

Also, this would seem to imply that the military is now acting independently of the chain of the command. Which is necessary for the moment, but a genie that needs to get put back in the bottle as soon as possible.

8 minutes ago, Fez said:

I don't read quite as much into this statement as Kristol does, but interesting that Sec. Miller is willing to (somewhat) throw Trump under the bus by name-checking everyone else that he is contact with to secure the situation:

Also, this would seem to imply that the military is now acting independently of the chain of the command. Which is necessary for the moment, but a genie that needs to get put back in the bottle as soon as possible.

Either way, we are definitely in uncharted territory now.

Archived