US Politics: Autogolpe big or golpe home

Kalbear

1 minute ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Right.  I just don’t know if they have the numbers.  Easier to draft up articles of impeachment and zoom in John Roberts?

Yeah it doesn't appear they have the numbers for much of anything, disgustingly.  Pelosi should indeed draft articles of impeachment immediately after the certification is over - one could easily compose about half a dozen just from his actions the last week - vote to impeach, and force the GOP Senate to vote to acquit.  Even that appears too much to hope for unfortunately.

12 minutes ago, Sharpes said:

If you pay me a reasonable fee I can tell you tomorrow's winning lotto numbers. :P

When I was a little kid I saw an interview being done in Australia on Super Bowl Sunday. The guy joked that he wouldn't spoil the results because it was Monday there. I literally thought for a couple years they game was played earlier and shown here on a taped delay, lol.

Watching the session on C-Span, we see that with covid and the necessity of masks for a very long time, politicians are going to have to master long lost rhetorical training, of gesture. They are going to have to learn breathing and all the rest of the techniques to be effective speakers that those Greek and Roman politicians assiduously studied.  They will need further to study enunciation and speaking that overcomes problems as with Demosthenes, who legendarily practiced with pebbles in his mouth to overcome his speaking problems.  In this case it will be being clear and bright through masks.

Gads. that frackin' Loeffler - SHE WASN'T MASKED.

Imagine how our Black members are feeling, with those csa flags paraded throughout the Capitol, and that gallows erected?

1 minute ago, DMC said:

Yeah it doesn't appear they have the numbers for much of anything, disgustingly.  Pelosi should indeed draft articles of impeachment immediately after the certification is over - one could easily compose about half a dozen just from his actions the last week - vote to impeach, and force the GOP Senate to vote to acquit.  Even that appears too much to hope for unfortunately.

I think articles of impeachment are privileged though; if any member brings them up, they have to get a vote. And there's been quite a few House Democrats saying it should happen. If it does, hard to see Pelosi whipping against. Senate could always run out the clock if McConnell wants though.

10 minutes ago, Fez said:

By the by, it looks like about an hour ago the police finally started acting as you'd expect.

Note that from the uniforms these are all MPD (DC police), not the now-maligned capitol police

Today was, ah, embarrassing for them. After all, they wouldn't want to be accused of being racist.

Just now, Fez said:

I think articles of impeachment are privileged though; if any member brings them up, they have to get a vote. And there's been quite a few House Democrats saying it should happen. If it does, hard to see Pelosi whipping against. Senate could always run out the clock if McConnell wants though.

Still, everyone would see their cowardice one more time.

Everyone will be let off scot free, and the large numbers of insane white supremacists will chunter away and warm themselves on conspiracies for a bit, and then the Republicans will get back in power and manage to stage a coup properly next time, because why wouldn't they if there's no downside to attempting one?

1 hour ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

Every last member of the Capitol police on duty today should be fired. They absolutely let this happen. 

Difficult to overstate what a massive failure (or worse a success?) this is on their part.  Imagine if the people involved were even somewhat competent in carrying out their goals.

I don't know how anyone could have any confidence that the legislature has even the most basic security going forward.

Especially after the attempted Whitmer kidnapping and the nonstop, escalating, violent chatter and white supremacy raging on the right the last few years.  

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

Still, everyone would see their cowardice one more time.

Oh I agree. I fully want the House to impeach again. I'm just saying Pelosi can't bottle this up in some stupid "turn the page" gesture. 

3 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I suppose it's procedural, but why is there even any debate on Arizona now...?  They should have rescinded the challenge...

Because the people who filed the petition wouldn’t back down? Which Senator supported the Arizona challenge?

eta: cross-posted with the above, Ted Cruz is the fucker.

Imagine being one of Trump's aides right now. I imagine he's having the worst adult temper tantrum they've ever had to deal with. cheeseburgers strewn across the Oval Office. Kicked over antique vases. Eric and Little Donnie running around with whiffle bats and face paint, shrieking for their own coon skin caps. Trump himself in the bathroom, door open, pants at his ankles as he weeps and talks to the pitiful reflection of his shrinking dinky. 

3 minutes ago, Fez said:

I think articles of impeachment are privileged though; if any member brings them up, they have to get a vote.

Not sure what you mean.  Plenty of articles of impeachment have been introduced by House members that haven't received a vote throughout history.  But yeah, obviously McConnell could run out the clock.

Archived