US Politics: Autogolpe big or golpe home

Kalbear

Just now, S John said:

I’m with you on this one. I was waiting for the national Guard to come in and roll these morons. It would have been entirely warranted. They literally stormed the Capitol of the United States. Unthinkable. 

that said, there probably is merit to not making martyrs of these people. As much as I wanted to see some skulls cracked in the moment its probably for the best that it panned out with relatively little bloodshed. I do expect (and demand) some of these people to be found later and prosecuted though.

I hope so.  I read on twitter, but have not personally seen, that Proud Boys Baked Alaska and Nick Fuentes both live streamed from Pelosi's office.  Would guess that if LE felt like it they could track down a lot of the participants today.

If you're going to throw the book at the foot soldiers of this terrorist act and not the people in power who stoked the flames of discord then you're not going to achieve anything anyway. There are many people who should face consequences to the fullest extent of the law, the least important of whom are the ones who stormed the Capitol.

Also from a national security perspective, Trump needs to be gone. Who is in charge right now? Imagine if we are attacked in the next two weeks. We are rudderless right now. Invoke the 25th, impeach, whatever - just get this clown the fuck out of here.

3 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

If you're going to throw the book at the foot soldiers of this terrorist act and not the people in power who stoked the flames of discord then you're not going to achieve anything anyway. There are many people who should face consequences to the fullest extent of the law, the least important of whom are the ones who stormed the Capitol.

Bullshit. Throw a few hundred people in federal prison for 10 years. People will stop emulating that shit REAL fast.  These aren't martyrs - these are random assholes cosplaying as actual badasses who think that they'll rule the roost. 

Fuck them. They broke major laws. They should be at least tried. 

Now, I think you should ALSO throw the book at the ones who started this bullshit, but if you're not going to arrest people who are destroying the capitol building and endangering lives you're obviously acting as a bullshit thing anyway.

11 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

According to my sources both are acceptable.

https://www.thesaurus.com/e/grammar/whats-the-rule-for-doing-a-possessive-after-the-word-s/

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/possessive-case/

I still maintain s's is aesthetically inferior, so should be avoided.

JFC:

At approximately 7 p.m., Giuliani called newly sworn-in Alabama Sen. Tommy Tuberville, a staunch Trump ally, imploring him to stall the process. “I want to discuss with you how they're trying to rush this hearing and how we need you, our Republican friends, to try to just slow it down so we can get these legislatures to get more information to you,” Giuliani said in a voicemail. “And I know they're reconvening at 8 tonight, but it ... the only strategy we can follow is to object to numerous states and raise issues so that we get ourselves into tomorrow—ideally until the end of tomorrow. I know McConnell is doing everything he can to rush it, which is kind of a kick in the head because it's one thing to oppose us, it's another thing not to give us a fair opportunity to contest it.”

Giuliani tells Tuberville that McConnell wants to narrow the objections to just three states and explains that the Trump team wants to object to 10. “So if you could object to every state and, along with a congressman, get a hearing for every state, I know we would delay you a lot, but it would give us the opportunity to get the legislators who are very, very close to pulling their vote, particularly after what McConnell did today.”

7 minutes ago, Fez said:

House Republicans not backing down from being traitorous assholes

Probably senators know they might be in jeopardy in statewide elections if the go along with this disgrace, while house members are probably largely in charge of totally insane districts that would punish them for decency.

Also, per @Raja earlier the term I should have used is 'failed state' or 'failing state'. This is the sort of thing that you see in failed states. Where the government is simply not considered legitimate.

Between the actual domestic terrorism, the lack of institutional control, the ineffectiveness or outright aid of the police force, the puppet media - this is all indicative of a failed state.

1 minute ago, S John said:

Probably senators know they might be in jeopardy in statewide elections if the go along with this disgrace, while house members are probably largely in charge of totally insane districts that would punish them for decency.

Absolutely. But its shame that more House Republicans aren't following the lead of Chip Roy, who usually is a complete asshole.

15 minutes ago, Fez said:

House Republicans not backing down from being traitorous assholes

They are more likely to be dumb fucks with their specific dumb fuck constituents directly on their little minds.

Archived