US Politics: Autogolpe big or golpe home

Kalbear

35 minutes ago, Kalbear Total Landscaping said:

Bullshit. Throw a few hundred people in federal prison for 10 years. People will stop emulating that shit REAL fast.  These aren't martyrs - these are random assholes cosplaying as actual badasses who think that they'll rule the roost. 

Fuck them. They broke major laws. They should be at least tried. 

Now, I think you should ALSO throw the book at the ones who started this bullshit, but if you're not going to arrest people who are destroying the capitol building and endangering lives you're obviously acting as a bullshit thing anyway.

Your rage is understandable. Problem is, you don't get to declare who is and isn't a martyr anymore than Candace Owen got to declare that George Floyd wasn't a martyr. And if you are confident that all these people are just cowards who will slink away and hide at the first taste of consequences, sure a few hundred in jail will probably work, probably a handful of them in jail would do it. But if they are, or a lot of them at least, true believers, then the hundreds in prison will be political prisoners and a further call to arms. I'm sure the Roman's thought feeding a few Christians to lions would sort that disorganised rabble out. But the Christians were true believers. I guess time will tell with this terrorist mob.

1 minute ago, Raja said:

How did you not share this bit :wideeyed:

As a bonus for those who clicked the link!  (I always try to limit how much I quote from articles and just getting all of Giuliani's message in there took up enough.)

2 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

And if you are confident that all these people are just cowards who will slink away and hide at the first taste of consequences, sure a few hundred in jail will probably work, probably a handful of them in jail would do it. But if they are, or a lot of them at least, true believers, then the hundreds in prison will be political prisoners and a further call to arms. I'm sure the Roman's thought feeding a few Christians to lions would sort that disorganised rabble out. But the Christians were true believers. I guess time will tell with this terrorist mob.

Give it a rest Neville.

5 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Your rage is understandable. Problem is, you don't get to declare who is and isn't a martyr anymore than Candace Owen got to declare that George Floyd wasn't a martyr. And if you are confident that all these people are just cowards who will slink away and hide at the first taste of consequences, sure a few hundred in jail will probably work, probably a handful of them in jail would do it. But if they are, or a lot of them at least, true believers, then the hundreds in prison will be political prisoners and a further call to arms. I'm sure the Roman's thought feeding a few Christians to lions would sort that disorganised rabble out. But the Christians were true believers. I guess time will tell with this terrorist mob.

Again, we already saw what happened. They went and stormed the Michigan capitol building, with guns, shouting maskless at police, and no arrests were made and nothing happened.

So guess fucking what - it escalated further. 

ETA: did we forget to mention MULTIPLE IEDS  were found today? And...we're just okay with letting people who planted explosive devices in the fucking capitol building...go? We're good with that? FUCK THAT NOISE.

44 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

According to my sources both are acceptable.

https://www.thesaurus.com/e/grammar/whats-the-rule-for-doing-a-possessive-after-the-word-s/

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/possessive-case/

I still maintain s's is aesthetically inferior, so should be avoided.

Chats is like The Terminator. She's aggressively wrong here, but she will keep coming to fight you.

53 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

Still wrong, no one should be beaten and abused by the police, but Nazi on Nazi violence is kind of funny.

No it's not. People violently trying to overthrow the government are exactly who should be met with overwhelming force.

16 minutes ago, Raja said:

How did you not share this bit :wideeyed:

I guess we should be thankful that literally the dumbest people imaginable backed by some of the most gullible chuds on the planet are the ones currently trying to organize a coup. But just imagine if someone not Trump and someone in a position of power and not of the QAnon shithead brigade suddenly thought "Hm, it might be nice if the US tried a fascism." We'd be fucked. Seriously.

How much of this failed because Trump is so incredibly obvious and bad at this and not because McConnell and Pence suddenly grew a conscience at the last minute? Like how much more onboard would they be with subverting an election if Trump was just a bit more subtle and less of a dunderingly corrupt moron?

Just now, Durckad said:

I guess we should be thankful that literally the dumbest people imaginable back by some of the most gullible chuds on the planet are the ones currently trying to organize a coup. But just imagine if someone not Trump and someone in a position of power and not of the QAnon shithead brigade suddenly thought "Hm, it might be nice if the US tried a fascism." We'd be fucked. Seriously.

How much of this failed because Trump is so incredibly obvious and bad at this and not because McConnell and Pence suddenly grew a conscience at the last minute? Like how much more onboard would they be with subverting an election if Trump was just a bit more subtle and less of a dunderingly corrupt moron?

The good news is that until Trump, they didn't think this was remotely possible and couldn't dream of stretching the bounds of acceptable behavior like this.

The bad news is that now they know how much they can get away with, how most people will bend over backwards to do fuckall about it, and the next time will be significantly worse while being more palatable to white people. 

Just now, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Two people who have lost their minds. I wonder how long it will take for the conspiracy mongers to declare that woman's death a false flag. 

Giuliani would be terrifying if he was clever. Disbar his ass.

Trump hires only “the best people”...

Has there been any info on the other three people dead in the protests? I am somewhat taken aback to hear that the first woman was (a) an ardent believer in Q-anon and (b) an ex member of the air force. I do not like to think of people associated with powerful weapons being nut bags.

Just now, Castellan said:

Has there been any info on the other three people dead in the protests? I am somewhat taken aback to hear that the first woman was (a) an ardent believer in Q-anon and (b) an ex member of the air force. I do not like to think of people associated with powerful weapons being nut bags.

So many military people are really, really fucking crazy. Like not 'haha they drool sometimes' but 'don't be in the same room with them' crazy. 

The other 3 have only been reported as dead due to medical emergencies, which as far as I know is police talk akin to 'they fell down some stairs'. 

Three other people died today, per DC police chief but no official details on how/who though it seems one heart attack from accidental self-tasing, one falling 50 feet from the surge into the  Capitol and one other circumstances unknown. 

4 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Military people of lower rank tend to have a weird relationship with authority and information. I dated this super hot Marine scout sniper who truly believed that Sandy Hook was fake and people were “crisis actors” and such.

He was really pretty and had nice muscles. Omg, his abs were to die for. I just smiled and didn’t really listen to him talk.

The return of Mr. Marine. Take this to the dating thread!

21 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

They’re not true believers; they’re cosplayers. And they’ve been shown over and over again these past four years that there are no consequences for playing out their desperate little fantasies. Show them that there will be major consequences for their action from now on, and they might bitch about it on the internet, but they’ll stop showing up for the treason rallies.

Watching the reading of the votes in Congress. Rep from Georgia tried to object to their votes. Their objections have to be signed by a Senator. "Due to events earlier in the day, the Senators have withdrawn their support." Applause in the chambers.

12 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

I dated this super hot Marine scout sniper

Geez, stop flexing. Reminds me of this 10 out of 10 genius pop star who’s name starts with B I used to date. She was always bragging about her successful solo career.

26 minutes ago, Durckad said:

I guess we should be thankful that literally the dumbest people imaginable backed by some of the most gullible chuds on the planet are the ones currently trying to organize a coup. But just imagine if someone not Trump and someone in a position of power and not of the QAnon shithead brigade suddenly thought "Hm, it might be nice if the US tried a fascism." We'd be fucked. Seriously.

That's the thing. Trump is too incompetent (and too hated by the military) to pull a Julius Caesar. But he's written the playbook for someone later.

If I were feeling particularly gloomy, I'd suggest a Trump comeback in 2024 - after he's spent four years planning how to make Caesarism stick.

Archived