US Politics- Banana Republic President’s Day Sale

Fury Resurrected

5 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

So that's one thing the presidents since and including George HW Bush have collectively achieved, some deserving more credit than others: Iraq and Iran are now friends. I'm not entirely sure that's what was intended with the whole bringing peace to the Middle East thing.

It's been said that the foreign policy of George W. Bush makes much more rational sense if you start with the assumption he was an Iranian agent.

2 minutes ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

It's been said that the foreign policy of George W. Bush makes much more rational sense if you start with the assumption he was an Iranian agent.

Trump is a Russian agent, Bush Jr was an Iranian agent, seems like a pattern is starting to emerge.

3 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Actually New York State, Georgia, and a number of other localities are considering charges.  My money is on New York State and Cyrus Vance, Jr. getting him.

Cyrus Vance Jr let the Trumpspawn off when they were being investigated for real estate fraud, after they made some campaign contributions to him. Cyrus Vance Jr let Weinstein operate, until the attention got too hot. Cyrus Vance Jr, for all his late-arriving zeal, can go fuck himself.

I'll place my hopes in Letitia James, AG of New York, because once again a black woman is going to have to do what a mediocre white man could not.

10 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I'll place my hopes in Letitia James, AG of New York, because once again a black woman is going to have to do what a mediocre white man could not.

I mean, we can only hope. OTOH do we really need to keep seeing Trump's name on every headline for the next 4 years? 

36 minutes ago, Relic said:

Magic 8 Ball says - No chance. 

There have to be. Reading headlines around the world, if we do nothing, our standing in the world as something special, which has been barely hanging on, is completely dead and cannot be restored. 

42 minutes ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

It also makes much more sense if you start with the fact Saddam Hussein tried to assassinate his father.

9 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

There have to be. Reading headlines around the world, if we do nothing, our standing in the world as something special, which has been barely hanging on, is completely dead and cannot be restored. 

Oh don't worry, the rest of the world will always see the US as something special alright. 

43 minutes ago, Relic said:

Magic 8 Ball says - No chance. 

That was my initial reaction too. Prosecuting Trump, after all, requires at the very least admitting that senior Republicans in Congress (McConnell high among them) connived at the activities he would be prosecuted for. That, or the surely untenable suggestion that he didn't do anything prosecutable until the last few days.

But there are few alternatives here. Trump is not going to be persuaded, per the usual sort of gentleman's agreement where a senior politician should be in court, that he should walk away quietly and not raise a stir in return for no prosecution. Even if he did agree to that, he can't be trusted to stick to it. I don't think he's capable of sticking to it. 

Doing nothing means Trump continuing to whip up violence and civil unrest for literally years. Some in the Republican party have shown they're fine with that, of course. Others are not. 

What I'm saying is, if given the option, I'm sure that senior figures in US politics would rather not set the precedent of prosecuting a former President. But I am not sure that Trump is giving them, or going to give them, any alternative. 

It's a very bad look not to even try and remove 45. I don't care it's only 2 weeks now. And by 'look' I mean encouragement for any future nutcase and/ or fascist.

Yeah, they probably threatened him with 25 or impeachment (never being able to run for office again), Maybe the oh-so-ridiculous 12 hrs twitter ban helped, too. He won't comply, bu .even if he did... wrong signal to even give him this choic.e  Shame, shame, shame.

And who is politically responsible for the police debacle, the Washington mayor? They sould resign first. Then investigate.

43 minutes ago, Relic said:

I mean, we can only hope. OTOH do we really need to keep seeing Trump's name on every headline for the next 4 years? 

If those headlines involve indictments and trials and the ruination of the House of Drumpf then I would welcome them.

50 minutes ago, Relic said:

Are you kidding? He will do that anyway. His ego needs it. His greatest fear is irrelevance. And he'll always find GOP thugs and media to help. Plus, his family will take up the mantle. Don Jr. managed to sound just as unhinged as his father on the last rally, btw.

PS: Just as @mormont, I didn't expect it would be as bad as it turned out yesterday. But in hindsight, his niece has been preaching from the rooftops that he would get worse and very dangerous in these last weeks.

4 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

PS: Just as @mormont, I didn't expect it would be as bad as it turned out yesterday. But in hindsight, his niece has been preaching from the rooftops that he would get worse and very dangerous in these last weeks.

I must say I'm surprised this didn't happen sooner, what with all the twitter calls to violence. But I agree that Trump literally in person telling the crowd to storm the capitol was indeed a surprising picture.

28 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

It's a very bad look not to even try and remove 45. I don't care it's only 2 weeks now. And by 'look' I mean encouragement for any future nutcase and/ or fascist.

Yeah, they probably threatened him with 25 or impeachment (never being able to run for office again), Maybe the oh-so-ridiculous 12 hrs twitter ban helped, too. He won't comply, bu .even if he did... wrong signal to even give him this choic.e  Shame, shame, shame.

And who is politically responsible for the police debacle, the Washington mayor? They sould resign first. Then investigate.

No. capitol police. Don’t think Mayor has authority there in the first instance. Dc is weird. 

2 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

That $750 billion the US spends on national defence, plus the couple hundred billion $ spent on law enforcement is clearly money well spent...

The US capital fell in a couple of hours to a bunch of morons, including one cosplaying as Chewbacca.

Was that the one with horns?

Archived