US Politics- Banana Republic President’s Day Sale

Fury Resurrected

6 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Not sure if this was posted already but Republicans are crying Antifas when literal nazis were identified amongst the crowd of rioters.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/matt-gaetz-e2-80-99s-antifa-detecting-facial-recognition-story-is-complete-nonsense/ar-BB1cyuc4?ocid=uxbndlbing

I think it behooves all interested to arrest and investigate and prosecute all identified people who took part, so we can accurately determine who was responsible, the guy they were just watching who told them to march on the capitol, or are some antifa/soros/deepstate conspiracy.  And Gaetz and other “our side is peaceful, it was antifa” numbnuts get to be tried as aiding and abetting these terrorists.

33 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I just heard that there will be numerous charges laid with regard to yesterday’s events, some of them federal charges. All I could think was, fuck no, Trump will just pardon them. Wait until January 20th.

But then again some of you have suggested he will be handing out blanket pardons for everyone.

Question - is insurrection something a president cannot pardon? I need to look that up.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he can give pardons to people in general. I think he would have to know the names of each individual in order to pardon them. Which I suppose would be an incentive for all of the rioters to send him their names. 

5 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Let's hope some of the charges are held back till Trump is out, preventing him from letting these terrorist off with pardons.

I believe that if he knows their names he can pardon people for offenses committed before the moment he pardons them, whether or not they've been charged.

11 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he can give pardons to people in general. I think he would have to know the names of each individual in order to pardon them. Which I suppose would be an incentive for all of the rioters to send him their names. 

Jimmy Carter signed Proclamation 4483, also known as the Granting Pardon for Violations of the Selective Service Act. I don’t think it named people individually.

Some news so far from Pelosi's press conference:

She's also calling for Pence going 25A, and says the House may pursue impeachment if he doesn't.

She's received a resignation notice from the House Sgt. at Arms. She wants the Capitol Police Chief fired; and hasn't heard from him yet about yesterday's events.

ETA: Apparently the Capitol Police Chief is also resigning.

4 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

If Trump’s entire cabinet resigns is there anyone left to invoke the 25th?

Acting heads have full authority, don't they? Surely there is a chain of command and the next in line would have full powers? Yeah, I'm spitballing cause I don't know how it works, but I can't imagine there would be a vacuum in a transition. Someone has to make decisions. 

To draw a line between Lindsey Graham and zodiac killer Ted Cruz, at least today Lindsey is busy throwing Trump under the bus while Cruz is doing his toady thing. Not sure what is motivating the latter (I thought Trump had some kompromat on Graham but maybe that isnt the case)

Anyway, Graham said he didnt think the 25th was appropriate at this point, still, it is a lukewarm defense and not a full-throat rejection.

1 hour ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Yes, and it doesn’t help when Mark Zuckerberg goes from “Trump’s account is suspended indefinitely” to “suspended until January 20”.

All his accounts will get suspended shortly after he's out of office, but that won't matter once he makes his own news network.

1 hour ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Elaine Chao is resigning.  I guess no surprise?  Tea Leaves into the workings of Chez Moscow Mitch?

It was pretty funny when she kinda cucked Mitch publicly early on in the Administration. 

15 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

Acting heads have full authority, don't they? Surely there is a chain of command and the next in line would have full powers? Yeah, I'm spitballing cause I don't know how it works, but I can't imagine there would be a vacuum in a transition. Someone has to make decisions. 

My understanding is that nobody actually knows because it hasn't ever been necessary. :dunno:

Prof. Timothy Snyder made some very good points on British C4 News:

1. Local news is dead. In a "news desert" low information voters rely on social media, the algorithm for which which tells them what it thinks they want to hear.

2. The difference between what is happening in the world, and reporting on what people think is happening in the world, has been eliminated.

3. Trump, whatever else he doesn't understand (i.e. everything) understands people's vulnerabilities, and built on this with a series of ever escalating lies and evasions, deliberately ratcheting up tension which he could exploit when needed,

4. Republican senators and congresspersons knew that this was a all a "Big Lie", but Cruz and Hawley, in particular, are using this to replicate the Versailles "stab in the back" for future use.

5. The people who stormed the Capitol building are literal fascists, even if they wouldn't recognise it: a) some are self-described, others are motivated by the "Big Lie", which is at the heart of fascism everywhere b) they were attempting to do away with free elections, a fascist constant and c) "from top to bottom" this was about race, i.e. the election was "illegitimate" because white people's views were overturned by ethnic minorities and electoral fraud equals blacks' views being taken into consideration, e,g, Cruz explicitly referencing the 1877 Compromise.

I know you guys know this, but I thought he  laid it out in a very logical, concise and compelling fashion.

Archived