US Politics- Banana Republic President’s Day Sale

Fury Resurrected

10 minutes ago, briantw said:

I know he stole some mail from her office, which I'm pretty sure is a felony in and of itself.  Hope they throw the book at the asshole.

He claims he left a quarter on her desk in payment, ‘cause he ain’t no thief. I’m not making that up.

41 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

They should have been kettled into a small space and beaten on TV for the benefit of other traitorous MAGA chuds. The one veteran traitor who was shot should be posthumously given a dishonorable discharge, have her military benefits yanked from her family, and her body dumped in international waters for the sharks. Alas.

40 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

At least I’m not the only person who thinks they should have been shot.

38 minutes ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

In a sane world, they would. 

Only in America, and failed states, and China. So not sure if that really qualifies as a "sane world". Everywhere else the cops only start shooting after the mob does. Non-ballistic weapons are typically met with blunt instruments, pepper spray, water canons and tear gas, in the sane parts of the world. But then, in sane parts of the world this level of citizen terrorism doesn't happen.

It is really satisfying to think about people actually being punished for their roles in this. 

Just try and remember that 5 months later when no one has to pay for any of this and the people that sacked and burglarized your house are walking around Scott free. 

Just now, The Anti-Targ said:

Only in America, and failed states, and China. So not sure if that really qualifies as a "sane world". Everywhere else the cops only start shooting after the mob does. Non-ballistic weapons are typically met with blunt instruments, pepper spray, water canons and tear gas, in the sane parts of the world. But then, in sane parts of the world this level of citizen terrorism doesn't happen.

I'm asking an honest question here.  Do you think that if a crowd of a few thousand angry Kiwis were overwhelming local security forces in front of the capital with assorted blunt instruments, pepper spray and tear gas of their own, that shooting would be justified to prevent them from injuring further officers or entering the building?  Or would it be better to let them in to avoid bloodshed?

1 minute ago, Maithanet said:

I'm asking an honest question here.  Do you think that if a crowd of a few thousand angry Kiwis were overwhelming local security forces in front of the capital with assorted blunt instruments, pepper spray and tear gas of their own, that shooting would be justified to prevent them from injuring further officers or entering the building?  Or would it be better to let them in to avoid bloodshed?

Can you guarantee no hostage situation or killing of representatives? Or stealing of massive state secrets? 

Imagine this being organized by a hostile state and using this to steal secrets. Hell, this happened in Colombia with a drug lord! Or imagine that the explosives went off. 

9 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

He claims he left a quarter on her desk in payment, ‘cause he ain’t no thief. I’m not making that up.

If you take something that is not yours from inside someone else's home or office without permission, that is still theft even if you leave a million dollars.

Of course I know all of you know that. :)

1 minute ago, Ormond said:

If you take something that is not yours from inside someone else's home or office without permission, that is still theft even if you leave a million dollars.

Bit of a grey area in the UK. Depends on whether you could reasonably show they would have been ok with it IIRC. 

Anyone remember this executive order from June, regarding destruction of American monuments by mobs and holding parties  accountable for destruction of federal property, and prosecuting offenders (at the time, my town, Portland)?

https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/executive-order-protecting-american-monuments-memorials-statues-combating-recent-criminal-violence/

Oh, sweet irony if it’s used as written on these chuds to give them 10 year sentences - and then tossed out by Biden after the courts come down.

8 minutes ago, Kalbear Total Landscaping said:

Can you guarantee no hostage situation or killing of representatives? Or stealing of massive state secrets? 

Imagine this being organized by a hostile state and using this to steal secrets. Hell, this happened in Colombia with a drug lord! Or imagine that the explosives went off. 

My main takeaway from this is that, in the future, any terrorist organization that wants to do some serious damage can just hire white guys and dress them up like racists, at which point the cops apparently let them pretty much do whatever they want.

9 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

(scot free)

Because Scots are wily bastards, in their kilts and their tams! 

5 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Well see, he says he took the letter because he bled on it, intimating that he didn’t want to leave his DNA behind. I’m not sure how well the “I only committed this crime because I was trying to remove evidence of another crime” defense is gonna hold up though.

The House Sergeant at Arms has resigned. Schumer has announced he intends to fire the Senate SAA immediately if he doesn't resign. The Capitol Police chief will resign or be axed. But this is a failure of many organizations, as pointed out by a Talking Points Memo reader who was once a Hill staffer.

A serious threat to the Capitol — which yesterday’s riot certainly was — would never have been left to the Capitol Police alone had it been foreseen.

We have to ask whether the reason it was not foreseen is because federal law enforcement and military officials were reluctant to plan for threats coming from supporters of the President. Obviously, these were almost entirely white people. If they hadn’t been, Capitol Police would not have been as accommodating. But it’s also true that a determined assault by a large crowd of people, some of whom might be armed, on the complex is not something Capitol Police are trained or resourced to handle by themselves. They would need help for that, and yesterday they didn’t get it. We ought to be asking why.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/this-is-where-to-look

6 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

No, shooting would not be justified. I mean I can't be certain what the law actually allows in terms of police use of force in these situations, and all cops have access to firearms, but not usually worn on their person except when there is an active firearms incident taking place (I think every cop car has a Glock and a shotgun locked in a safe in the trunk). But in terms of public mood, I think the vast majority of Kiwis would complain of excessive use of police force if it was the cops who started shooting. It would really only be the right-wing law and order nuts who would cheer on, or demand that the cops shoot first. They would be ready, no doubt, probably including snipers on roofs, but they would not shoot first, even if the mob forced its way through the barricades.

Last year the cops did a trial with small units of police around the country carrying sidearms to be available as a rapid response should a firearms incident occur. There was considerable opposition to it when it was announced, and there was an assurance that these units would not be on active mundane duty like walking the beat or traffic enforcement. Unfortunately these units were seen a bit too frequently out and about with no active incident underway, and carrying out mundane public duties. There was huge public opposition to the implementation of this trial, so it was ended early and the cops are not proposing to do it again. It didn't help that, IIRC, a lot of these armed cops were in locations where white faces are not a common sight. So the only shooting these units did was of themselves ... metaphorically ... in the foot.

3 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Because Scots are wily bastards, in their kilts and their tams! 

Well see, he says he took the letter because he bled on it, intimating that he didn’t want to leave his DNA behind. I’m not sure how well the “I only committed this crime because I was trying to remove evidence of another crime” defense is gonna hold up though.

I’d think it had more to do with witchcraft or some nefarious cloning plot. Considering where you’ve been spending time lately though, I guess you’d know best. 

4 minutes ago, Hereward said:

I thought the same thing, and imagined Islamic State kicking themselves for not trying it because they assumed the place was watertight.

Turns out all they had to do was grow mullets, wave American flags, and shout racial slurs.  

Instant access!

Just now, Mindwalker said:

"...I got shoved in. I didn't mean to be there. Hell. I was walking around looking for a bathroom," he argued.

What a weasely coward.

Come on.  Who hasn't found themselves in the middle of a coup attempt just looking for a safe place to drop a deuce?

Archived