US Politics- Banana Republic President’s Day Sale

Fury Resurrected

40 minutes ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

this was my friend's retort :lol:

I guess Hawley doesn't know what the First Amendment says or means, which is not surprising since it seems most Americans don't. He'd be less wrong if he just said freedom of speech, but he'd still be wrong.

2 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I guess Hawley doesn't know what the First Amendment says or means, which is not surprising since it seems most Americans don't. He'd be less wrong if he just said freedom of speech, but he'd still be wrong.

He was a fucking Supreme Court clerk. He knows better. He chose to be this.

16 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

You're friends with Petchesky?

:bowdown:

I miss Proper Deadspin.

Not super-close, but yeah met through a mutual friend! If you haven't checked them out yet, Defector is doing good stuff. I think they're still trying to figure out exactly what they want to be, and ofc being hamstrung by the damned pandemic is a challenge, but I've really enjoyed a lot of material they've published thus far. 

12 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

He was a fucking Supreme Court clerk. He knows better. He chose to be this.

Yale Law's best and brightest. It's amazing how all these Ivy League conservative lawyers don't actually understand how the Constitution works. That probably explains why their drive legal theory is dumber than shit.

ETA: And on that note, Legal Eagles, what exactly is the consequence of inciting a mob that goes on to murder a police officer? Isn't that basically being an accomplice to murder?

1 hour ago, Mindwalker said:

"heinous acts... I immediately employed the National Guard and Fed. law enforcement..."

Oh, healing and a smooth transition of power! And there's a pandemic!

Never said he conceded, simply accepted the results. Okay... Didn't mention Biden's name, or really make any pledges. I have no doubt that he did this due to the pressure he felt and likely threats he received, but I still don't buy it. In his mind, he could be thinking that this may cause his enemies to let their guard down, so he could pull another stunt before the 20th.

Ha! An American law lecturer teaching here defended the "protests".

But Amy Baker Benjamin - a senior lecturer in international law at AUT - doesn't see it that way. While adamant she doesn't condone the violence that occurred, the protests "were peaceful".

"I think there were tens of thousands of people - I don't know the exact number - and they were all peaceful. It looks like there was a small group that went up to the Capitol and decided to take matters into their own hands. 

"I don't condone violence so I can't be on that side, but the big protests that happened earlier were all peaceful and I think that's a fine exercise of freedom of assembly and freedom of speech."

But wait, there's more.

Benjamin, whose son was at the protest, said she'd heard nothing from the President that amounted to a call for violence. 

"I don't see how his saying he's going to contest the election is a dog-whistle for people to go out and get violent. I know that some people argue he's always emitting these dog whistles with his words, but I don't see that at all. I think he wanted to fire up the crowd... only relatively few went up to the Capitol... I think anyone who says what Trump said was sort of a coded call to violence is wrong." 

Well, we know where her sympathies lie, then. Also, I guess she does not understand the concept of stochastic terrorism.

28 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yale Law's best and brightest. It's amazing how all these Ivy League conservative lawyers don't actually understand how the Constitution works. That probably explains why their drive legal theory is dumber than shit.

ETA: And on that note, Legal Eagles, what exactly is the consequence of inciting a mob that goes on to murder a police officer? Isn't that basically being an accomplice to murder?

Oh, I thought you were talking about this guy.

He is definitely not happy about the events of the last week or so, not to mention yesterday.

You know what, fuck all these cowards resigning today as if this shit was somehow shocking to them. “We never ever thought things would go this far. How could we possibly have known Trump would do something like this?”. Oh, I don’t know, maybe you could have listened to the tens of millions of people telling you every day for the last four years that this shit was inevitable. You don’t get to ignore the warnings and then claim you were never warned. 

34 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

So I will note that it is KNOWN that top law schools (my own non-Yale top law school included) don’t actually teach a whole helluva lot of law....We are taught how to “think” or something. Mind you, there is constant evidence that the “thinking” thing can’t actually be taught.  (Exhibit A, above).  I know a fair number of former clerks, including Supreme Court Clerks.  Some of them are exactly as impressive as you would think.  Others cannot walk and chew gum at the same time.  They are excellent at both walking and chewing gum, but the practical application of both, at once?  OMG.

eta - actually a little surprised DeVos resigned.  But then again, this is all very bad for business, so, perhaps like Loeffler, she’d like to retreat and count her billions

26 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Never said he conceded, simply accepted the results. Okay... Didn't mention Biden's name, or really make any pledges. I have no doubt that he did this due to the pressure he felt and likely threats he received, but I still don't buy it. In his mind, he could be thinking that this may cause his enemies to let their guard down, so he could pull another stunt before the 20th.

"Oh, people thought that speech meant peaceful transition to power of a Biden presidency. Sorry you misunderstood, I meant peaceful transition of power to the new vice president under me as president for lyfe. Let me introduce you to vice-president Hawley. A great man, a true patriot, and loyal. Most importantly loyal."

7 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

"Oh, people thought that speech meant peaceful transition to power of a Biden presidency. Sorry you misunderstood, I meant peaceful transition of power to the new vice president under me as president for lyfe. Let me introduce you to vice-president Hawley. A great man, a true patriot, and loyal. Most importantly loyal."

If your name isn’t Ivanka I strongly suggest you not accept the offer of the Vice Presidency.

11 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

eta - actually a little surprised DeVos resigned.  But then again, this is all very bad for business, so, perhaps like Loeffler, she’d like to retreat and count her billions

I've also seen speculation that she didn't want to vote to remove, or didn't want to have to vote on it.

5 minutes ago, QuietColours said:

I've also seen speculation that she didn't want to vote to remove, or didn't want to have to vote on it.

Yes, doubly cowards. Trying to avoid shame while also avoiding accountability.

They could retain a shred of dignity by maintaining their posts in protest and support the 25th/impeachment. Surely they all have plenty of evidence and/or connections to evidence that would support his removal and prosecution.

Archived