US Politics- One Flew over the Cuckcoup’s Nest

Fury Resurrected

38 minutes ago, Kalbear Total Landscaping said:

Reports I've read said that he was bludgeoned with a fire extinguisher and died of internal brain bleeding

According to some comments I saw on conservative Reddit late last night, he died of a stroke, which was completely unrelated to the beating he took immediately beforehand. 

12 minutes ago, Kalbear Total Landscaping said:

It is just...so utterly remarkable the behavior of these police. The video of police saying that I respect you as they hold the door for the terrorists....wow.

I am reserving judgement on the officers on the scene. If their orders were to de-escalate and allow entry to avoid further conflict, that's fine. I dislike the "I disagree, but respect you" comment, but don't find that mind-blowingly bad. I'm reserving my ire towards the top officials who let this happen in the first place. There was no way they couldn't have planned to prevent this.

In that video, am I misinterpreting it or does a woman(?) in a red hat pull a gun out of her pocket as she nears the top of the steps?

32 minutes ago, DMC said:

First, what Fez said.  There's still obviously pork and the fact you can almost certainly find one GOP vote for a standalone bill of $2k checks.

Second, even if you can't, Schumer can still put it on the floor.  Call Manchin's bluff and see what happens.  Last time I checked, West Virginians like money too.

I acknowledge that that may be the case, but as I asked the other night, if Manchin is already acting this way on things that are wildly popular, what happens when the rubber meets the road and he has to take a vote that isn't as popular. Just by him voicing opposition to this creates cracks in the Democratic armor to weather the storm that is coming. We saw how "liberal" economists like Larry Summers coming out against the 2k checks lead to a slew of think pieces about how giving the poor money was a bad idea.

I sincerely hope this is just a play for leverage, I'd love to see West Virginia caked the fuck up, I'd say good for them. Shit let's give an annual 50k UBI to all active and retired coal miners in West Virginia.

13 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

eta: another sign the US is NOT in fact a banana republic, a banana republic would have shut down the sirport.

To be fair the real sign that the US isn't a banana republic is because the coup failed. If this had been a banana republic the CIA would have made sure it succeeded.

As I saw someone say on Twitter yesterday "One joke going around South America today is that the US coup failed because there was no US Embassy in Washington DC providing logistical support."

8 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

According to some comments I saw on conservative Reddit late last night, he died of a stroke, which was completely unrelated to the beating he took immediately beforehand. 

I heard he died of too much freedom and winning.

Just now, Luzifer's right hand said:

Conservative reddit? You must hate yourself. 

I mean, there's a decent chance at least some of the posts have better writing than Faith of the Fallen.

3 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

I acknowledge that that may be the case, but as I asked the other night, if Manchin is already acting this way on things that are wildly popular, what happens when the rubber meets the road and he has to take a vote that isn't as popular.

It's very safe to assume Manchin is never going to vote for anything that isn't popular.  This has always been the case and is not news.  I'm not sure what you're referring to, but this probably applies to a lot of things you may think/want Biden and the Dems to push for whereas I've already dismissed as possibilities.

20 minutes ago, Kalbear Total Landscaping said:

It is just...so utterly remarkable the behavior of these police. The video of police saying that I respect you as they hold the door for the terrorists....wow.

Hey he said he disagreed with too!

But he respected the attempt to destroy democracy.

In that thread about police letting them in, people freely admit to being there.2f1231110bb58129ab5749a4f4558644_bigger.

Justin Gunnink

@jgunnink2
·
1 Std.
Yep I was there. The people were peaceful and the police were letting people go wherever they wanted. The only violence was caused by the initial break in which was antifa

Anyone want to call the FBI? But apparently, "only" breaking and entering isn't really a thing so far.

35 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

Hi, as a citizen of the District of Columbia I gently say Fuck That. On the behalf of (though I have no right to speak for any of these people doing the work) the Black citizens of this city who have been gassed and shot at with rubber bullets and arrested for peaceful protest, pepper sprayed at jail support, along with them and the vulnerable unhoused who have been assaulted by PB and MAGAs the previous times they've been in town, before and after their marches and rallies,  I emphatically say FUCK THAT. 

We've had enough, thanks.

Arrest them NOW.

Again. You are not wrong but I have honest question. Would you rather they be arrested now and escape all punishment or would you rather wait two weeks so they are punished? I am patient guy. I'd rather wait two weeks and hope there is no blanket pardon.

58 minutes ago, Kalbear Total Landscaping said:

This is an excellent recounting - with very clear, well highlighted video - of how Ashli Babbitt was killed. You will rarely find a better piece of video for this sort of thing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/2021/01/08/ashli-babbitt-shooting-video-capitol/

If that person hadn't fired, chances are very, very good the tac officers that were coming up would have blown her away a few seconds later.

Warning - that video is, while not gory, quite graphic. 

I can't help but be thankful and a little surprised that situation didn't escalate into a shootout right then and there.  Because there were a bunch of police that were in a very vulnerable spot at that moment, and if the people in the crowd had tried to either start shooting or steal the officer's firearms, it would have gotten real bad real fast. 

I'm glad that didn't happen. 

Have his family members left D.C.?  If so, where have they gone?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/08/opinion/trump-confederacy-lost-cause.html?

...after four years of having led a movement that many agree has undermined our Constitution and the nation itself, it is difficult not to see the parallels between his lost cause and the failed cause of the Confederacy in 1865. As individuals carried the flag of the Confederacy, the flag of rebellion against the United States, into the Capitol, it was a moment not lost on historians — and a moment of dire concern for most Americans.

Mr. Trump’s feeble message to his stalwarts about going home and keeping the peace was similar in tone to Gen. Robert E. Lee’s admonitions in the aftermath of defeat. “I think it wiser,” he wrote, “not to keep open the sores of war, but to follow the examples of those nations who endeavored to obliterate the marks of civil strife.”

Lee was referring to the creation of monuments, but he was essentially telling those who admired him to “go home” and keep the peace. Yet by the time he made those comments in 1869, the myth of the Lost Cause and its justifications for Confederate defeat were in full flower. And it was Lee — not President Jefferson Davis, whom many white Southerners blamed for their loss — that helped to personify the narrative of a just cause. He was a leader who had not failed the white South; rather, he had been failed by others. He was also the man they believed best represented the values of their cause....

His supporters are saying, btw, that the 6th was a complete success, from which They can and will build.  Among Those there, were mayors of cities in Kansas, newly elected state reps from West Virginia.  Poor rural folks my bippy ass.

Also Rhonna McDaniel was reelected to another term as RNC chair.  She began her term 4 years ago, with Republicans holding the House, Senate, and Presidency.  Apparently the success the RNC has seen in the past four years was enough that she was not only reelected, but did so unopposed. 

18 minutes ago, DMC said:

It's very safe to assume Manchin is never going to vote for anything that isn't popular.  This has always been the case and is not news.  I'm not sure what you're referring to, but this probably applies to a lot of things you may think/want Biden and the Dems to push for whereas I've already dismissed as possibilities.

I mean, I've mostly given up on seeing the shit I want to see happen happening during this administration, I think that anyone telling themselves that Joe Biden is going to somehow be transformative is fooling themselves. That said, theoretically there is the possibility that the Legislature could take up that would put Biden in a position where he is actually going to be pushed somewhat, and folks like Manchin shut down that down almost completely. Biden is better than Trump, that's why I voted for him, but if it doesn't go beyond just going back to the Obama era status quo with maybe some marginal improvements, there is a strong chance we get wiped out in 2022 and we're back to where we started with a president is infinitely less inspiring than Obama.

Incidentally Manchin's office is walking things back and softening his words.

I'm cool if Manchin's position is "Make me a deal", like I said, I'm all for fattening up WV like a Christmas goose.

Biden is speaking now and one of the things he’s said is that he and Bernie discussed a position for him but they agreed it was important for him to stay in the Senate.

And Prime Minister Trudeau has said Trump “incited an assault on democracy by violent rioters”.

I don’t think any other foreign leader has been that blunt, have they?

So I'm seeing reports that Trump was 'delighted' at the chaos at the capitol, that he refused to act while it was going down and that his lawyer was warning aides to distance themselves from Trump out of caution that they could be caught up in the legal backlash.

Is it possible that these aides could be convinced to testify to Trump's state of mind? I have no idea what kind of leverage investigators might be able to bring or how loyal everyone in the room was. I'd like to think someone would speak up, but I am not hopeful.

Archived