US Politics- One Flew over the Cuckcoup’s Nest

Fury Resurrected

2 minutes ago, Relic said:

You're right, she was technically a criminal at that point, but a civilian still. I'd rather NOT see people die. Her death is on Trump, his White House, Cruz, that other douchebag senator, and 100 GOP congress people. They should all stand in her place and take the punishment themselves. 

I disagree that anyone with this cv taking enthusiastic part, even acting as a leader, in armed sedition and insurrection is anything but a civilian.

The woman is Ashli Babbit, a 14-year veteran, who served four tours with the US Air Force, and was a high level security official throughout her time in service.

7 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

She's saying that they'd have been far more likely to be effectively punished if they were picked up at the scene than picked up from their home based on evidence.

Fair enough. Though lots of people get arrested and convicted from video evidence. 

I had another thought. Does anyone know if you commit a crime in DC do you have a DC jury? I'd hate to be a defense attorney if that was true. 

CNN -- Articles of impeachment to be brought as early as Monday.  Why didn't they do this years ago, instead of getting around finally to that little poke a year ago that nobody even remembers.  Feh.

Just now, Zorral said:

Why didn't they do this years ago

To what purpose? That "little poke" failed, earlier attempts would have failed. This, too, will likely fail (I don't think George Conway's tweet about 67 votes, by the by, is disinformation -- I just think he's overly optimistic about how much spine remains among his fellow travellers in the conservative world.)

20 minutes ago, Hereward said:

Can’t use the quote function for some reason.

Fragile Bird,

On the contrary, I think every Western leader has said almost exactly the same thing, even Johnson, and Merkel has gone further.

Thanks! I have been watching US coverage for the most part, and they have not bothered to show European leaders' comments, or I missed any brief mention. The Trudeau story has been on the CBC and the WaPo, which I subscribe to.

14 minutes ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

How likely is it that something worse will happen on the 19th? The same people will be in charge of law enforcement after all. 

Less likely. I know Northam has said that Virginia police and national guard will remain in DC at least through inauguration, and I wouldn't be surprised if Maryland and the others (I know New York and New Jersey also have state police in DC now) are too.

Plus, even if Capitol Police are technically still in charge (and they might not be, the new perimeter fencing extends well beyond the building itself so it may be Metro Police that have command), their top leadership has resigned, so it won't be the same people either way.

31 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Why is that?  Do you think that a Warren or Sanders or Booker administration would be less capable of handling the challenges of the next four years?

Because nobody among them is as well versed in how it all works as Biden is.  And because he's so calm, and inspiring and reassuring to so many older US voters, which is essential. The long sitting Dems haven't had that confidence from the voters much have they?

This isn't saying the others  wouldn't be able to handle it.  It's saying that a lot of people have the necessary confidence that he can, which means he can, because he has their support.

All those people at the Trump rally will have spread it, hopefully mostly among themselves. Actually they were also all sitting around hotels afterwards without masks. 

An Australian reporter was among them at what was apparently the more peaceful side of the White House where they were all just milling around. She said they kept coming up and asking her why she was wearing a mask and seemed genuinely shocked when she said because she didn't want them to kill her. 

Just now, Castellan said:

All those people at the Trump rally will have spread it, hopefully mostly among themselves. Actually they were also all sitting around hotels afterwards without masks. 

An Australian reporter was among them at what was apparently the more peaceful side of the White House where they were all just milling around. She said they kept coming up and asking her why she was wearing a mask and seemed genuinely shocked when she said because she didn't want them to kill her. 

Mask protects others from you, less so you from others. That's why everyone needs to wear one or it's pointless. 

14 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Oh, look...the WH task force says the reason why US Covid numbers might have been going up so fast is because there may be a new US strain. The US has been looking for the UK variant, not a new US variant. 

With the unchecked spread of the stuff, nobody doing a thing, and all the superspreader gop events, and others from Memorial Day Weekend on, people refusing masks, even now, of course there are more and more variants. Anyone one thinks there aren't more of them everywhere is well, deluded, shall we say. It's how viruses work, especially these virii.

Going back to what I said a few pages ago. About Twitler supporters being angry and surprised over being thrown under the bus.

Guardian link.

Like I said, I assume that's pretty much the end of that political dynasty after its first generation. Clearly not the Republican Kennedys.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yesterday I was listening to my favorite podcast and they were interviewing a regular guest, John Amaechi, who is renowned British psychologist. They were talking to him to try and make sense of what happened Wednesday, and in his explanation he focused a lot on privilege. First he did so through the lens of being a man, then a black man and then a gay black man. It was very touching. Then he brought up a thread he had seen and it was breath taking. The hypothetical was asking women what they would do if there was a curfew for men every night that began at 9PM. Like him, I was expecting bigger things, but what he found was most women said the simplest of things. Go for an evening walk. Do yoga outside. Just sit outside and enjoy the night air. Many things along those lines. It really drove home the point of male privilege and how women still are not able to feel safe even in so called developed countries.

Link if anyone is interested.

Yeah, I was in my 30s before I learned what "frottage" meant and that it happened to my female friends ALL THE TIME on the subway.

It will be interesting to see what charges are filed.  Carrying a firearm into the Capitol building believe it or not is only a felony up to five years.  Which is more than committing violence/property destruction which only carries up to 6 months.  I can't figure out if the capitol building itself is a public or private building.  It must at least be partly private because there is a statute which sets forth the limitations of the public access.  So there should be federal violations for unauthorized entry, ect.  

Obviously the violence conducted against the security/law enfrcement will have its own penalties. 

The penalty for seditious conspiracy carries up to 20 years, so we may see a lot of these idiots charged with that.  Rebellion or inserruction only carries up to 10 years (but you can't thereafter hold office so there's that).  

As for Trump, the most direct charge would be incitement of riot, which carries up to five years.  

58 minutes ago, DMC said:

Amaechi will always be a renowned failed center for the Magic to me.

Meh, he serves as a good example of why it’s interesting to get to know the athletes off the court.

And he’s still in the conversation for best English baller ever, even if it didn’t work out that well for him in the NBA. In that interview he does say his “gayness” played a role in him washing out of the league quickly.

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

In that interview he does say his “gayness” played a role in him washing out of the league quickly.

Oh yeah it definitely did.  Still doesn't change the fact he had a very promising first season with Orlando in which there were hopes he'd improve upon and then regressed in his second season.  

Archived