US Politics- One More Impeachment, For Old Times’ Sake

Fury Resurrected

1 minute ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Did they identify the Canadian with the confederate flag?

As a fellow Canadian who abhors violence, I'm worried he may be treated roughly by the American authorities. Him being a foreigner and all.

:D 

Did they identify the person with the Canadian flag? They were always outside I believe but definitely on the grounds near the steps. 

As a fellow Canadian who abhors violence, I'm worried he may be treated roughly by the American authorities. Him being a foreigner and all.

Gotta be from Hamilton.

About the "zip-tie guys", and that article that was linked about possible dark intentions. A reporter from the same news organization as the fellow who took the picture of the guy with the zip-ties in the Senate chamber was being interviewed by Don Lemon tonight. He said he had to point out Zip-tie Guy DID NOT come to the Capitol building prepared to tie up prisoners, rather, the photographer saw them break into a security cupboard where there were zip-ties stored, presumably for use in case protestors got in. Ironic.

2 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

About the "zip-tie guys", and that article that was linked about possible dark intentions. A reporter from the same news organization as the fellow who took the picture of the guy with the zip-ties in the Senate chamber was being interviewed by Don Lemon tonight. He said he had to point out Zip-tie Guy DID NOT come to the Capitol building prepared to tie up prisoners, rather, the photographer saw them break into a security cupboard where there were zip-ties stored, presumably for use in case protestors got in. Ironic.

Fuck. This means cosplay chewie really was running the show. 

My faith in humanity has been destroyed again. For a brief moment, I had hope that at least there were some brains behind this operation.

4 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Yes.

He's a right winger from Alberta.

1 minute ago, Lord of Oop North said:

Gotta be from Hamilton.

Alberta is my guess....

CNN has been running stories about the amount of internet chatter regarding 'civil war' to start on the 17th in Washington. They show screenshots of posts calling for police to be shot, and one is from a Canadian, he uses a little Canadian flag on his post. So patriotic.

5 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

Did they identify the person with the Canadian flag? They were always outside I believe but definitely on the grounds near the steps. 

And speaking of the calls for civil war on the 17th, maybe you might want to get the hell out of town?

2 minutes ago, Lord of Oop North said:

Fuck. This means cosplay chewie really was running the show. 

My faith in humanity has been destroyed again. For a brief moment, I had hope that at least there were some brains behind this operation.

Zip-tie guy is one of the most prepared. His face is completely obscured by a mask and close fitting cap, he looks like he has body armour, I think he's gloved, and I think he had a side-arm.

In the meantime, lest we've forgotten, equally enormous matters demand our attention.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-biden-economy/biden-to-unveil-trillions-in-pandemic-economic-relief-spending-next-week-idUSKBN29D2PQ

Biden’s initial plan was for a bill under $1 trillion but he said on Friday that “economic research confirms that with conditions like the crisis today, especially with such low interest rates, taking immediate action - even with deficit financing - is going to help the economy.”...

Markets have reacted quickly to expectations that government spending will rise since Democrats won the Georgia elections, with stock indexes rising and the interest investors demand on 10-year U.S. Treasury bonds climbing to their highest levels since March.

Gods damn these threads are still moving at rapid fire.  Just to be clear, because this was brought up a quite a bit at the end of the last one, Congress can still impeach and convict Trump even if he resigns.  May this court overturn that?  Yes.  But not doing something just because this court may strike it down is a really, really, REALLY stupid way for Biden and congressional Dems to go about business over the next four years.  Here's Pistol Pete Williams succinctly breaking it down:

No president has ever been removed from office by the impeachment process, and no president has been impeached by the House more than once.

Legal experts are divided into three camps of opinion, however, on what happens if the president leaves office. [...]

Could Trump sue to stop a Senate trial? He could try, but it would be a tough case to win, because the Constitution says the Senate shall have "the sole power to try all impeachments."

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

I have read that is really highly unusual for a President who has just lost an election -- their approval ratings actually tend to rise during their "lame duck" period.

Yes.  The only two instances of this during a lame duck period in the history of polling would be Dubya's numbers continuing to trend down (for obvious reasons), and Carter's going down after he lost - but that's only based on one Gallup poll.

19 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

And to think I once badly wanted to sleep with her.

Who am I kidding? Still would, but her political compass is about as good as her father's flying though. 

11 minutes ago, DMC said:

Gods damn these threads are still moving at rapid fire.  Just to be clear, because this was brought up a quite a bit at the end of the last one, Congress can still impeach and convict Trump even if he resigns.  May this court overturn that?  Yes.  But not doing something just because this court may strike it down is a really, really, REALLY stupid way for Biden and congressional Dems to go about business over the next four years.  Here's Pistol Pete Williams succinctly breaking it down:

Yes.  The only two instances of this during a lame duck period in the history of polling would be Dubya's numbers continuing to trend down (for obvious reasons), and Carter's going down after he lost - but that's only based on one Gallup poll.

I've said before; this has to happen regardless of the outcome.

If it works, Trump has the shame of being impeached. He also loses all the privileges available to an ex president, which would probably be a huge plus from a national security perspective.

If it fails because the Republicans obstruct it, they own Trumps legacy forever. Either way, the Democrats will have shown some strength, the right way. Which is exactly what's needed right now. Truth and reconciliation can come afterward.

9 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

And to think I once badly wanted to sleep with her.

Who am I kidding? Still would, but her political compass is about as good as her father's flying though. 

She's almost as infuriating as Rand Paul.

Just now, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I've said before; this has to happen regardless of the outcome.

Agreed entirely.

3 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

People really shouldn't start sentences with "Goodbye Rush Limbaugh" these days unless he's died.  It's insensitive to those of us very much looking forward to it.

If it works, Trump has the shame of being impeached. He also loses all the privileges available to an ex president, which would probably be a huge plus from a national security perspective.

He'd sue for loss of income for being barred from selling state security briefings to the highest bidder in foreign markets.

Archived