US Politics- One More Impeachment, For Old Times’ Sake

Fury Resurrected

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

West Virgina Legislator Derrick Evans being arrested by the FBI for participating in the Trumpanista Riot and storming of the US Capitol on Wednesday 1/6/2021.  He filmed and livestreamed his actions:

I felt bad for that grandma. Her reaction was the complete opposite of what I expected from starting lots of videos with an angry looking person appearing to see someone filming them.

46 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

I carry often mace (which is tear gas) when running, on a keychain, or pepper spray.

Do you not have access to the same things? How on earth are you going to deter an attacker? 

Straight arrest for possession of an offensive weapon in the UK. In most places outside of the states, we don't assume we are going to be attacked the second we walk out the door. 

Calling to ban people from flying etc cuts both ways. Harassing and loud talking isn't sedition. The people who yelled outside Hawley's home should be banned from flying? The BLM protesters marching through brunch should be banned from flying? The people yelling at kids in cages Kirstjen Nielsen during her dinner at a Mexican restaurant in 2018 should be barred from restaurants?

I've calmed a lot since Wednesday and it's sobering when you step back and consider. Painting a whole group as something based on bad actors within the group or who were just there adjacently is what was being fought all summer, for example.

50 minutes ago, VigoTheCarpathian said:

Random thought as the hammer comes down on all of the Capitol terrorists.

Hah, the 'hammer'.

They got arrested. For many of them, chances are pretty good they've been arrested before. They haven't even been charged with anything yet. And the chances of them going to jail? Fuck, man. Most of them will walk away with  probation at the most, just like the Iowa guy who drove into some BLM protesters did. 

They were on tape committing acts of domestic terrorism. And they're going to just...walk away. 

Here would be an example of the kind of thing that @The Anti-Targ's idea of just letting them all go and not turning them into martrys does - it makes them more bold and more assured there will be no consequences. In this case, we have someone who literally did storm the Michigan capitol building back in April doing...well, even worse shit later.

1 hour ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

I carry often mace (which is tear gas) when running, on a keychain, or pepper spray.

Do you not have access to the same things? How on earth are you going to deter an attacker? 

For Canadians avoiding violence is simple. We go to Cuba when we want to travel, and avoid the US.

21 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

Nothing new really.

So my step brother is a psychologist, and he says that the Trump presidency has led to a big push among psychiatrists/psychologists for the APA to rescind the “Goldwater Rule”, which states that it is unethical for psychiatrists/psychologists to offer a professional opinion on public figures who they have not examined in person. 

10 minutes ago, Kalbear Total Landscaping said:

Hah, the 'hammer'.

They got arrested. For many of them, chances are pretty good they've been arrested before. They haven't even been charged with anything yet. And the chances of them going to jail? Fuck, man. Most of them will walk away with  probation at the most, just like the Iowa guy who drove into some BLM protesters did. 

They were on tape committing acts of domestic terrorism. And they're going to just...walk away. 

It is just not true that no one has been charged yet:

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/thirteen-charged-federal-court-following-riot-united-states-capitol

14 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

The popular hiking / running trail that I often use is generally safe, but there was a woman abducted and murdered there by a serial killer, maybe about 10 years back. 

Most women who are serious runners (as I used to be) have to be prepared for some level of harassment, sad as that is, and although that type of thing doesn’t often escalate into an attack, it could.

we can carry rape alarms.  these are ear splitting loud and rather painful. 

but being attacked by a stranger is really very very rare.   Ok not quite as rare as school shootings are here but rare enough to make national headlines.

4 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

So my step brother is a psychologist, and he says that the Trump presidency has led to a big push among psychiatrists/psychologists for the APA to rescind the “Goldwater Rule”, which states that it is unethical for psychiatrists/psychologists to offer a professional opinion on public figures who they have not examined in person. 

Yup, and it's always been very problematical because a lot of the reasoning behind it was based on the idea that somehow a psychiatrist seeing a person in an office for an hour lead to more accurate "diagnosis" than observation of public behavior over a long period, and there just isn't empirical evidence that is true at all. 

Just now, kairparavel said:

Calling to ban people from flying etc cuts both ways. Harassing and loud talking isn't sedition. The people who yelled outside Hawley's home should be banned from flying? The BLM protesters marching through brunch should be banned from flying? The people yelling at kids in cages Kirstjen Nielsen during her dinner at a Mexican restaurant in 2018 should be barred from restaurants?

I've calmed a lot since Wednesday and it's sobering when you step back and consider. Painting a whole group as something based on bad actors within the group or who were just there adjacently is what was being fought all summer, for example.

No, I didn't say that, I said I was thinking about the videos of Graham and Romney being harassed. But in case I wasn't clear, I will try to be clearer. The ones who continued to harass him on the actual flight should be banned by the airlines. The person who harassed him at the airport was on the same flight to Washington with a bunch of friends. At the time I said the pilot should have landed the plane at the nearest airport and had the pack of them taken off and charged with whatever offense they charge those types of people with. Airlines have banned people for many reasons, right now mainly for refusing to wear masks. Harassing passengers on a plane should be grounds for that.

And, come to think of it, harassing passengers in an airport should be grounds as well. Don't you think restaurants have banned people from their restaurants if they harass other diners? And I said people who have been charged, I should have said charged and convicted. But after seeing many of those videos I'd charge a lot of people.

If you think that is too extreme, draw a line. I would draw a line at people trying to overthrow a democratically elected government, kidnap a governor, plant bombs, and probably a few other things as well. Just show up and demonstrate? No. But put the rest of them on the No Fly List.

1 minute ago, Fragile Bird said:

No, I didn't say that, I said I was thinking about the videos of Graham and Romney being harassed. But in case I wasn't clear, I will try to be clearer. The ones who continued to harass him on the actual flight should be banned by the airlines. The person who harassed him at the airport was on the same flight to Washington with a bunch of friends. At the time I said the pilot should have landed the plane at the nearest airport and had the pack of them taken off and charged with whatever offense they charge those types of people with. Airlines have banned people for many reasons, right now mainly for refusing to wear masks. Harassing passengers on a plane should be grounds for that.

And, come to think of it, harassing passengers in an airport should be grounds as well. Don't you think restaurants have banned people from their restaurants if they harass other diners? And I said people who have been charged, I should have said charged and convicted. But after seeing many of those videos I'd charge a lot of people.

If you think that is too extreme, draw a line. I would draw a line at people trying to overthrow a democratically elected government, kidnap a governor, plant bombs, and probably a few other things as well. Just show up and demonstrate? No. But put the rest of them on the No Fly List.

Airports tend to be public government owned property (though it is really complicated sometimes). Banning people for speech from the airport (especially political or politically adjacent speech) seems fraught. I agree airlines probably could ban someone for harassing other passengers. 

31 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

Agreed.

But the people within the Capitol were more than "just there"., even if they didn't do anything else than walk in after the doors were breached.

5 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

Agreed.

But the people within the Capitol were more than "just there"., even if they didn't do anything else than walk in after the doors were breached.

They deserve whatever they get, but the people harassing Graham and Romney in the airport are just and loud pushing boundaries. Carrying that onto a plane is different. People have been kicked off flights for less.

Anyways there needs to be care in how this is handled. The optics of who the bad people are and the legislation put in place against them is at the whim of who is in charge at any one time, as we've seen time and time again over the past four months. Just like labeling what happened on Wednesday as domestic terrorism is problematic because of a portion of the population's view of BLM and burning police precincts and other things. This is where the bad actors/guilt by simply being there really needs a defined separation, which of course will never happen. 

https://www.comicsands.com/carlson-trump-supporters-freedom-peril-2649781552.html

Tucker Carlson Throws Gasoline On The Fire By Telling Trumpers Their Freedoms 'Are In Peril' Now

"What happened today will be used by the people taking power to strip you of the rights you were born with as an American: your right to speak without being censored, your right to assemble, to not be spied upon, to make a living, to defend your family, most critically."

Archived