US Politics- One More Impeachment, For Old Times’ Sake

Fury Resurrected

27 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

@GrimTuesday - we absolutely do need an opposition party faithful to the values of the constitutional republic.

One party bring in charge and being the only principled option is not Democracy.

I'm sorry, but when one of those parties exists to knee cap any actual progress, you can basically toss the entire republic in the trash. To pretend that we need a party that denies minorities their basic humanity, disputes a woman's right to bodily autonomy, and believes that the rights of corporations and the wealthy to reap as much profit as they can comes before the needs of the working class is not something that is vital to our democracy. Tell me what value the Republican party offers us that is not already also supported by the Democrats? What about the Republican party is so invaluable that we need the to be strong? Just saying that we need a second party does not mean that it has to be the Republican party.

Obviously it is not like we can just outlaw the Republican party, there are still millions for whom they represent their interests. What we can't do is pretend that those interests are worthy of being represented, because in many case they border on the cruel and inhumane. It's going to take a long ass time to deprogram people, but if we never start, things will never get better.

For your consideration - https://www.senate.gov/about/powers-procedures/expulsion/CivilWar_Expulsion.htm

On December 4, 1861, the Senate expelled John Breckinridge of Kentucky for taking up “arms against the Government he had sworn to support.” On January 10, 1862, the Senate voted unanimously to expel Missouri’s two senators, Waldo Johnson and Trusten Polk, for “sympathy with and participation in the rebellion against the Government of the United States.”

Can't help thinking if Pence aids in getting rid of Trump early, the fact that Trump made him the scapegoat for Biden being President and sicced his followers onto him chanting Hang Pence might be influencing his decision to conclude that Trump may be unfit right now.

9 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

For your consideration - https://www.senate.gov/about/powers-procedures/expulsion/CivilWar_Expulsion.htm

On December 4, 1861, the Senate expelled John Breckinridge of Kentucky for taking up “arms against the Government he had sworn to support.” On January 10, 1862, the Senate voted unanimously to expel Missouri’s two senators, Waldo Johnson and Trusten Polk, for “sympathy with and participation in the rebellion against the Government of the United States.”

Geez, how divisive!

I loathe the Republican Party as much as anyone and I've been talking about Reagan as the Devil for years, but we do need a sane conservative party. The one we've got, however, needs to be dialed back to Eisenhower levels.

ETA: Hell, even Nixon considered universal health care before Buchanan convinced him it was too Commie.

1 hour ago, Simon Steele said:

I thought she was sarcastically thanking Trump. Hm. I wonder now. 

I saw a comment on that clip from a guy from that area (because others were wondering the same thing). He said called out her accent very specifically and said it was pure Wayne Co. memaw sarcasm. His source is having a sarcastic Wayne Co. memaw. So take that with a grain of salt, but I was amused.

4 minutes ago, Castellan said:

Can't help thinking if Pence aids in getting rid of Trump early, the fact that Trump made him the scapegoat for Biden being President and sicced his followers onto him chanting Hang Pence might be influencing his decision to conclude that Trump may be unfit right now.

He's considering it for when Trump becomes "more unstable". Even though I agree with you. He'd also get lifelong Secret ervice protection from the mob that is already angry at him.

I'm getting really nervous for the inauguration ceremony.

2 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

You are clearly not a woman :) It’s something we have to be fairly constantly aware of. 

ahem I am a woman and its true when I was younger I was interested in self defence and might possibly have bought mace if it was available but I also was aware that, as other women have told me, a man can just punch you in the face and you will be on the ground wondering what train ran you over so avoidance is the best defence.

On the whole I think a society that assumes that dangerous things like mace and guns should not be sold is preferable.

9 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I loathe the Republican Party as much as anyone and I've been talking about Reagan as the Devil for years, but we do need a sane conservative party. The one we've got, however, needs to be dialed back to Eisenhower levels.

You mean the guy behind over a million deportations, and inspiration of Trump's?

25 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

I'm sorry, but when one of those parties exists to knee cap any actual progress, you can basically toss the entire republic in the trash. To pretend that we need a party that denies minorities their basic humanity, disputes a woman's right to bodily autonomy, and believes that the rights of corporations and the wealthy to reap as much profit as they can comes before the needs of the working class is not something that is vital to our democracy. Tell me what value the Republican party offers us that is not already also supported by the Democrats? What about the Republican party is so invaluable that we need the to be strong? Just saying that we need a second party does not mean that it has to be the Republican party.

Obviously it is not like we can just outlaw the Republican party, there are still millions for whom they represent their interests. What we can't do is pretend that those interests are worthy of being represented, because in many case they border on the cruel and inhumane. It's going to take a long ass time to deprogram people, but if we never start, things will never get better.

Would you have preferred Biden to say we must destroy the Republican Party? He clearly meant that we need a sane conservative party, one not wrapped up in racism, misogyny, and greed, whatever that party chooses to call itself. And I wholeheartedly agree. As Chats said, a one party system is the last thing we need. That’s literally how you get fascism.

6 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

You are the one saying that any opposition party must be the Republican Party. Note that I did not use the word “Republican”.

I said “opposition party” and I did not say “strong” which is a meaningless word in this context. I said “faithful to the values of the constitutional republic.”

My entire premise has been that pretending like the Republican party is somehow an invaluable asset to the American political system is delusional. Joe Biden is going out there and waxing wistfully for the days that Republicans were some how honorable and good, a time period that has never existed. Republicans have always been racist, they have always had authoritarian inclinations, they have always supported American empire (excepting a brief period of isolationism), and they have always put the interests of capital above then interests of the working people.

7 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

ETA: Hell, even Nixon considered universal health care before Buchanan convinced him it was too Commie.

So we need to go back to union busting anti-communists whose favorite past times include disenfranchising minorities and exploiting the poor?

Incidentally, The major thing that changed since the Eisenhower years is the collapse of the postwar Keynesian consensus. This was replaced by the neo-liberal market obsessed system that we live in today, which largely started taking hold in the Ford and Carter administration, was cemented in the Republican party during the Reagan years and subsequently the Clinton years when Democrats began to also adopt those policies as a party.

This is why leftists get their panties in a wad when people talk about how this is the most left wing the Democrats have ever been, because while it is true on social issues, it is not the case on the economic/social welfare side of things.

3 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

Here's the video:

They're getting angry at their leader but will happily continue without him.

"Liberals will never take over... Mark Jan 20 in your books."

So weird

5 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Again, I deeply apologize for my mistaken assumption. 

No worries. I used to not have my gender up but I found myself in a couple of 'bro' conversations which I found quite disconcerting.

Archived