Home Defense/Self Defense: The Precautions you Take

A True Kaniggit

10 minutes ago, DMC said:

Heh, I'd say there's a caveat to this.  My parents have these two little Havanese shitters, and one of them in particular is very loud and vigilant any time anything goes on outside (and often when nothing has).  Due to how annoying this is, I definitely could probably identify the bark of a small/non threatening dog at this point with reliable accuracy.  So, if an intruder could as well, that'd hardly be a deterrent.

Anyway, having lived mostly in apartment complexes my entire adult life, whatever security they have has been fine for me.  The one I'm currently living in has a key/electronic replacement for a key at the front entrance.  We generally keep our own door locked, albeit I'm largely responsible for this since I frequently go out for cigarettes (and leave it unlocked while doing so).  I do forget on occasion to lock it when returning, it's never worried me.  Also, neither here nor there, but it really sucks when I go out for a cigarette late at night and forget my keys because while the the place has a buzzing system, my brother and I never set it up so I'm at the mercy of waiting for someone to use the door to get back in the building.

As for going out this has never been a worry for me and I've been well aware this is a privilege as a white male since I was a teenager. 

It’s not that the potential violence of the dog itself is the deterrent, it’s the noise making the likelihood of being caught higher. I’ve read numerous articles asking convicted burglars what criteria they used when choosing houses and many list a loud dog as a strong deterrent

When we were in our condo in downtown Chicago, the building had 24/7 security doormen who were monitoring cameras, plus electronic fobs were needed to access the building.  So we didn’t have any security precautions inside our unit beyond locking our door.  I did buy my wife pepper spray to carry on her handbag — she was harassed by street people a few times, and one guy smashed a glass bottle at her feet that caused some minor cuts, but she never actually used the pepper spray.

Even though we lived in a fancy condo building in the very nicest part of the city, street crime was still very real.  Two people were shot in separate incidents late at night outside our building as gun crime became a city wide game of opportunity with rival gang members shooting at each other whenever and wherever they saw each other, plus armed car-jackings were endemic.  I never got bothered on the street though; I’m probably not the profile anyone is looking to mess with.

Now in the suburbs, our house has its own security system and external cameras.  But that’s all.

What good are guns for home defense?  If they’re stored properly in a gun safe, then they are zero use in a home invasion.  And, realistically, what are the odds of a home invasion in one the most genteel towns in Connecticut?

7 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

But still an alarm. 

3 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

It’s not that the potential violence of the dog itself is the deterrent, it’s the noise making the likelihood of being caught higher.

True, good point.  I was referring to the "potential violence of the dog" aspect.

2 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

When we were in our condo in downtown Chicago, the building had 24/7 security doormen who were monitoring cameras, plus electronic fobs were needed to access the building.  So we didn’t have any security precautions inside our unit beyond locking our door.  I did buy my wife pepper spray to carry on her handbag — she was harassed by street people a few times, and one guy smashed a glass bottle at her feet that caused some minor cuts, but she never actually used the pepper spray.

Even though we lived in a fancy condo building in the very nicest part of the city, street crime was still very real.  Two people were shot in separate incidents late at night outside our building as gun crime became a city wide game of opportunity with rival gang members shooting at each other whenever and wherever they saw each other, plus armed car-jackings were endemic.  I never got bothered on the street though; I’m probably not the profile anyone is looking to mess with.

Now in the suburbs, our house has its own security system and external cameras.  But that’s all.

What good are guns for home defense?  If they’re stored properly in a gun safe, then they are zero use in a home invasion.  And, realistically, what are the odds of a home invasion in one the most genteel towns in Connecticut?

I’ve lived in some very ungentrified neighborhoods. A gun in my home would have been the only incentive to rob it. The only time I’ve had a firearm in my home was when I lived on a farm with a local mountain lion problem. And of course, that was there in case a big cat took an interest in my sister’s small children- not if another person took an interest in my tv.

1 hour ago, Fury Resurrected said:

I have Persians, these fluffy abominations can barely breathe. They wouldn’t even meow at an intruder, only show him to their food bowl

Dammit. I watched that video, and it pissed off my cats. 

Edit:  Oops. Sorry. It wasn’t your video. It was @Corvinus85 ‘s video. 

We have a little fob(or a code) for the building doors and another for the garage.  It would be...and has been...easy for people to get into the building if they really wanted to.  Our mail/package room was robbed over the summer.  We now have another code to get into that room.

I lock my apartment door but that's about it.  I have no weapons or anything aside from a kitchen knife and a hammer.  A stool maybe. 

When I go out I rely on my steely eyed glare.

23 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Well, they are good for shooting people who aren’t supposed to be in there. :lol:

I take your point though. The best solution would be a small biometric handgun safe in your bedroom, combined with learning how to use a handgun.

I have a security camera, motion lights, yappy dog, several firearms. 

I don’t carry a gun or any other weapon outside of the home. So my defensive plan there is to run away, unless I’m with wife and baby, then it would be to fight a delaying action while they get away and then I’ll join them in flight. This is why I never wear flip flops outside of the beach or pool. You never know when you might need to really hit that top gear and RUN and you can’t do that in sandals. I have thought about getting a concealed carry permit just to have it, but I still wouldn’t carry day to day.

For home defense...well I live in a high rise building with 24 hour doorman and security cameras on all entrances.  Of course someone could get in if they really wanted to but I feel pretty safe here and there haven't been any incidents in the 20 years I've lived here...*knock on wood*  I don't have any additional security on my apartment beyond locks.  I do make a point to have one extra lock that my building does not have a key for.  I'm actually way more concerned about fire than home invasion, however.

As for self defense, well I have always lived in a city and have always been overly cautious when out and about.  I just try to be careful and aware, I don't carry any mace or anything.  I can scream very loudly!  (Which did deter one person one time.)  However, crime in Chicago has really really skyrocketed in the past year.  It used to be in my neighborhood there would be occasional armed robberies - mostly very late at night and in the early hours of the morning.  But now they will occur anytime, anyplace.  They can happen at 11 AM on Michigan Avenue with a handful of cop cars a block away.  So I have found myself rethinking some things and changing what used to be my usual habits.  These armed robberies typically involve at least 2 or 3 people so I think it would be stupid to try to retain my possessions.  So for now, I've stopped carrying my phone unless I really need it.  I don't carry a credit card if I don't need one.  If I need it, I stick it in my socks so it hopefully isn't noticed.  I carry a purse with $60 in it so there is something for them to see and take that I would be fine to lose.  In most instances they just take and leave.

I'm more concerned about the armed carjackings which have really increased.  This is mainly because I don't drive and am only in a car with my 80 year old father who I am absolutely convinced would not get out of the car and would try to run the carjackers over and would either end up dead or charged with manslaughter.  There isn't much you can do except make sure the doors on the cars are locked and be aware.  We did switch our grocery store as a result and now drive to one with a parking garage with paid (but rendered free with shopping) entry/exit instead of the one with the open to the street lot.  No guarantee I realize.

Since most of you are talking about home defence, and I assume you dont have major enemies that are just out to get you, there are 2 things you can do to protect yourselves.

Dont do anything stupid (overwhelming amount of burglaries are opportunistic) and dont have something of extremely high value (where I work there is a massive problem with people targeting Indian gold). 

6 minutes ago, Hereward said:

My precautions are minimal. Just the moat, some minor ramparts, a devoted gamekeeper with a shotgun, oh and a bucket of Lego and a saucepan tied to a rope.

What happened to the murder holes and boiling oil?

My parents keep a knobkieri at home, which my grandfather got during the time they lived in SA. It's a bit shorter than usual but a vicious macing instrument in close quarters. One day, I hope to inherit it.

Until then, we have have a dog, a security systems, and good neighbours.

2 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Or sketchy friends with a key.

My former neighbor dated a lot of women who typically had drug problems. One of he exes somehow kept a key, and when he was gone at one point, she just unlocked the back door, stole a bunch of his prescriptions and the wad of cash he kept around for emergency purposes, and other small valuables. 

That would be covered by 'dont do anything stupid'. Though I did go for a drink with a woman once who was a lawyer but confessed to recreational 'crack use', she knew I was in the police. It's one of the stranger conversations I've had. 

51 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Though I did go for a drink with a woman once who was a lawyer but confessed to recreational 'crack use', she knew I was in the police. It's one of the stranger conversations I've had. 

Just because you're a cop doesn't mean you're a narc.

Archived