US Politics: Dark Days at Parler

Fragile Bird

1 hour ago, Mindwalker said:

Arnie makes a statement.

I just wish speeches like this had been made sooner.

So this is pretty fucking great. And to be fair to Arnie, he’s been outspokenly anti-Trump forever. Still a shit governor, though.

I'd switch Arnie for Manchin anytime... Apparently Joe Manchin is giving an  interview with Jake Tapper right now. He doesn't think Ted Cruz and Josh Hawley should resign. (And of course he won't support $2000 stimulus checks.)

1 minute ago, Mindwalker said:

Apparently Joe Manchin is giving an  interview with Jake Tapper right now. He doesn't think Ted Cruz and Josh Hawley should resign.

He doesn't think they have the power to expel them, because the treason-bros followed the actual rules. He thinks voters should expel them.

Some are suggesting January 6th, 2021, be called a "race riot."  Because white people were rioting to destroy a government and system that, as They who participated see it, are not hostile and cruel enough to Black people (and women).

I ... hmmm. don't think this works either.  Since it really was about overthrowing the government. And it is continuing.  Not that there isn't a long, bloody, fiery, lynching history in the US of white people racially rioting, destroying both property and Black / Native American bodies and lives.  But those were not about overthrowing the government.  Which January 6th was.

18 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

I'd switch Arnie for Manchin anytime... Apparently Joe Manchin is giving an  interview with Jake Tapper right now. He doesn't think Ted Cruz and Josh Hawley should resign. (And of course he won't support $2000 stimulus checks.)

On plus side, this morning he didn't rule out voting for DC or PR statehood. He just said he wanted to see the pros and cons of each.

3 minutes ago, Fez said:

On plus side, this morning he didn't rule out voting for DC or PR statehood. He just said he wanted to see the pros and cons of each.

So don’t the Republicans officially support PR statehood. Like it’s in their platform?

24 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

So this is pretty fucking great. And to be fair to Arnie, he’s been outspokenly anti-Trump forever. Still a shit governor, though.

That was fucking devastating. No one survives that.

9 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

I swear these clowns should have to take a civics test before they run for office.

10 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

I have zero respect for Parler, especially because it’s CEO pronounces it as “PARLOR”

OK, don't get that, because I would pronounce those both the same way and think most Americans would. 

Oh, are you thinking the site was actually named after the French word for "speak"? I never got that until now -- just thought it was a respelling of "Parlor" and the idea was it was a place to sit and talk like a parlor is, with the spelling changed for trademark purposes. And I am sure now that the idea was to make a trade name that would cleverly combine both words and meanings. 

Just now, Myshkin said:

So don’t the Republicans officially support PR statehood. Like it’s in their platform?

They used too. But they officially did not have a party platform in 2020, and basically every Republican who has discussed it in recent years has been opposed to it. They think it'll just give Democrats 2 more senators.

Which, maybe? But its not a sure thing like DC is. The two major parties there are affiliated with both the Democratic and Republican parties, and it would not be an easy sorting. The previous and current governors are both from the PNP; but the previous one affiliated as Republican and endorsed Trump last year and the current one affiliates with the Democrats.

1 minute ago, Fragile Bird said:

I was actually looking for a follow-up tweet or something about Wednesday, since he was one of the treason-bros voting yes even after the riots. 

I know, that's why I posted it (thinking it was a new interview).

Regarding events at the Capitol, there is interesting footage on twitter right now, where the crowd on the steps outside make room for a very organized group of men in combat gear, walkin one behind the other, their hand on the backback or houlder of the guy in front of them so not to lose each other... They came very prepared.

2 minutes ago, Ormond said:

OK, don't get that, because I would pronounce those both the same way and think most Americans would. 

Oh, are you thinking the site was actually named after the French word for "speak"? I never got that until now -- just thought it was a respelling of "Parlor" and the idea was it was a place to sit and talk like a parlor is, with the spelling changed for trademark purposes. And I am sure now that the idea was to make a trade name that would cleverly combine both words and meanings. 

I mentioned in the last thread that I saw the CEO interviewed months ago on CNBC. He's a smug bastard who bragged about "no way, no censorship on Parler!". This was just after Twitter or Facebook started to put labels on posts warning the content was untrue or disputed. The hosts were joking about whether the pronunciation was supposed to be "par-lay" or "par-lor".

3 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Yes - think it is a clever pun.  Honestly as names go for this sort of thing, it’s pretty ace.  It’s still a reprehensible platform, but I can tip my hat to this one.

2 minutes ago, Fez said:

They used too. But they officially did not have a party platform in 2020, and basically every Republican who has discussed it in recent years has been opposed to it. They think it'll just give Democrats 2 more senators.

Which, maybe? But its not a sure thing like DC is. The two major parties there are affiliated with both the Democratic and Republican parties, and it would not be an easy sorting. The previous and current governors are both from the PNP; but the previous one affiliated as Republican and endorsed Trump last year and the current one affiliates with the Democrats.

Yeah, PR politics are really complicated and their parties don’t clearly scan onto ours.  I’m not sure how it would go.  

Separately, I am now going to wade back into actual policy.  If I had to choose, rather than indiscriminate 2000 checks, I guess I would rather we extend unemployment benefits significantly and think about some sort direct support for affected industries that won’t be up and running for at least another year.  I think that would be money better spent.

Archived